Rusted Boltgun's WIP

Go to solution Solved by Firedrake Cordova,

I should have spent the day pressing on with the Kroot but as I intend to have Shadowvaults as a Christmas present for me and Junior Boltgun, I thought I ought to break open the Into The Dark terrain so we can get playing ASAP.

Well, I thought I was prepared but what an undertaking. I still haven't got all the tabs sanded down and the smaller parts primed.

The bulk of it is done though.

I couldn't resist getting some colour on top of the primer to get a feel for it.

DSC_3495.jpg

Primed inVallejo German Panzer Grey and overbrushed (?) With Vellejo Sombre Grey.

The light is particularly bad this afternoon with a storm coming in so photos are even worse than usual but I feel like I'm heading in the right direction for a 'haunted house' vibe. There will be dirt but not much rust on this hulk.

Edited by Rusted Boltgun

• 3 weeks later...

Not much progress to report, I have been chipping away at the Kroot and the Gallowdark pieces.

DSC_3527.jpg

In the background my magpie mind has been thinking about a Phobos Kill Team and another team which would require kitbashing/converting. Must get this finished first...

Egad, the Gallowdark is huge.

DSC_3597.jpg

Nearly at a playable state but I still have the doors, the sprue of mechanical extras and the scatter to do.

As for the Kroot, those pesky Xenos are so detailed they are going to take longer than planned. 

It’s looking great though!  Keep it up (I know I can’t, the immensity of terrain backlog I have really gets to me), your stuff has a great amount of texture and detail while not being overwhelming.  You’re striking an awesome balance and the terrain could only look better from here!  I really like the colors and the over brush is very well done.

• 1 month later...

A small update as the end of the KITV challenge approaches. 

Junior Boltgun announced that he'd like some terrain for Christmas so I slowed down on the Gallowdark terrain and switched back to the Kroot.

I have made  a meal out of these. A while back I assembled and primed a vet guard model, looked at it and thought 'how do I paint all that partially obscured detail with out mucking it up later on?' and promptly shelved in. For the Kroot I decided to assemble the bodies as much as I could and progress as far as I could before final assembly.

Unfortunately, I don't work  in a painting factory so I'm forever taking things out, putting things back, forgetting bits, etc. So I'm currently here

AC246D2A-3849-4AA8-A2BA-E3F658B6881F.jpg

Heads are being painted up separately on weird 'trophy racks' made out of old sprue which work well. 

Edited by Rusted Boltgun

• 2 weeks later...

Continuing with the Kroot though there might not look like much progress from the previous photo! Shaded the flesh of the models after the photos were taken.

DSC_3788.jpg

DSC_3789.jpg

DSC_3790.jpg

I think that I would have had these done if I hadn't started on the Gallowdark terrain. And that have paused that as Junior Boltgun asked for some terrain from Santa. So I held off giving him the Necrons from the Gallowdark box. 

Queuing up behind the Kroot are some Phobos Marines for another Kill Team.

DSC_3791.jpg

DSC_3792.jpg

I aim to be more organised in my approach to painting these, I wasn't organised enough with the Kroot but I have still enjoyed them.

The deadline for submission is approaching but I am nearly there with my Kroot.

DA1CA7EC-1A46-419C-823D-B75952E112DF.jpg

DFFFD750-A6A8-4C1C-9C4F-47535AAC90AE.jpg

They need some eyes, flesh spots and glazing as well as some finer details. I'm thinking of red for a spot colour so some blooded bandages.

I spent a lot of time cutting up plasticard for 'spaceship interior' bases but was never happy with the result so I'm reverting to an Octarius XV-88 / Ushabti Bone scheme.

My resolve has held, I've not put any paint on the Phobos Marines yet!

Edited by Rusted Boltgun
Incorrect paint labelling

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the wall of fluff...

This Kinband are mercenaries who have been traversing the galaxy, picking up bounties and assignments as they can. They have been bodyguards, recon scouts, frighteners and smugglers amongst other things.

Fifty standard years ago, they were hired by a Rogue Trader to track down and retrieve an Imperial archeotech artifact. What the RT didn’t tell them was that the artifact was in the hands / paws of a particularly vicious band of Ork Kommandos.

A series of skirmishes ensued as the Kinband tracked the Orks across the galaxy, picking them off one-by-one. Each Ork was consumed, feeding the Kroot understanding of their adversaries, the locations of their haunts, their strengths and weaknesses. Eventually the depleted Orks dumped the tech and escaped into the void.

The Kinband were able to retrieve and then deliver the article (what it was, they never knew) back to the RT.

Unfortunately for the Kinband, the RT was in a less than trustful mood. A meeting was arranged on a near deserted planet, Aek II. Well, deserted of humanoid life at least. The planet spent most of its ‘day’ in the dark. It was almost permanently night and cold as far as the humans were concerned. That had its advantages for the RT.

The handover went without a hitch but when they got back to their ship, the Kroot found that it had been disabled by agents of the RT and they were stuck on the planet with no obvious escape route.

The Kinband set their distress beacon and hunkered down for what could be a long wait. Food was scarce, what little meat they could scavenge was found on local rodents that scurried around in the dark. The vermin were unusual, devoid of pigment but with preternatural hearing – not easy for the Kroot to sneak up on them, traps were the only successful method of catching the Kroot some dinner.

Eventually, a Tau excursion force picked up the call and rescued the Kinband, providing them the tools to fix their craft and enabling them to get back into the stars. The enforced stay had a marked effect on the Kinband – a steady diet of the Aekian vermin had left them pale, without the colouring normally associated with their kind.

Free to look for new paymasters, the Kinband never forgot being hung out to dry by the Imperial, adding the Elucidian Starstriders to a lengthening list of adversaries marked up as

Do Not Use / Do Not Trust.

552523AF-1CE9-49C5-9E56-8A73D244E533.jpg

Kill Broker Yukh Ot and Heavy Gunner Gerba 'grakh

62DD603E-ABC5-44EC-A829-F1C1CF61EEE3.jpg

Warrior Byakh Ot and Bow Hunter Akhira Khe

A5523F8F-E0A3-43F9-895E-C17B667E2F4B.jpg

Tracker Khrob Rek and Stalker Cho Ekh

DDD7E8DB-E5AD-4BFD-BD38-1F4AC3F21009.jpg

Edited by Rusted Boltgun

Thanks @Grotsmasha!

For (my future) reference (when I have forgotten, this time next week) the quills got brighter because I switched to Aethermatic Blue as the Gryphcharger Grey wasn't quite cutting it. The tongues are Hawk Turquoise though I feel like they need toning down a little. 

There are still a few little details I have missed, the Cold Blood's head is now properly stuck on but these are pretty much done. Now on to the Phobos squad so we can actually have a game.

Looking through the Knives In The Void thread, I feel like I really missed out with the Nachmund box so plan to pick up the Voidscarred Corsairs and the Legionaries Kill Teams. I've managed to score the terrain, box, rules and board!

Edited by Rusted Boltgun

With the Kroot completed, time to move on to some opponents for them.

Trying out the Phobos Marines as a Raven Guard successor chapter, the Knights Of The Raven.

Primed with Vallejo German Panzer Grey through the airbrush (not great in places but I'm learning!), metal in VGC Black, then Leadbelcher and armour in VGC Gunmetal. Leather is VGC Beastly Brown.

0B2754EF-096F-48B2-AB71-043FD1D0A279.jpg

Next step, decide on some washes. From memory, the brown looks good with Nuln oil so I could use that over the whole mini or I have a batch of 'Raven wash' mixed up. From memory, it is thinned Basilicanum Grey.

The Panzer Grey undersuit looks pale under the harsh light bit is really quite dark. I'm pretty sure there is a VMC match for it so might pick it up for tidying.

• 2 weeks later...

My Phobos Marines are still very much WIP so have been proxied by my original Space Hulk Termies for a small game of Kill Team. One Marine was switch out for two purestrain 'stealers at the behest of Junior Boltgun. We are playing cut down rules and having a blast. End of turn one, we have each lost two characters. That Kroot Heavy Gunner is a beast!

DSC_38502.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Not as much progres made through February as I would have liked. A week's holiday abroad was most welcome though!

We've had a few games of Kill Team Lite and last night JB asked me to put the Into The Dark terrain together for a little game. 

I'm using my part painted Phobos 

PXL_20230304_093259283.jpg

I've been instructed by JB to finish the Phobos squad and then the Gallowdark terrain before starting on my Kommandos.

I also completed a box audit

PXL_20230302_113221474.MP.jpg

Just one more to go! My diary and wallet are telling me that Gallowfall is the end of this journey. Unless season 3 comes up with something amazing, of course!

Based on my work rate I calculated that I have enough teams to see me through to summer 2024 - that's without scenery. Of course, I also have nearly 2k points of marines to paint....enough metal Terminators to create a full roster for Space Hulk, their Chaos Terminator counterparts...the basics of a Death Guard boarding patrol....<sigh>

Oh wow, looking at all your painted up terrain, I am jealous. I feel like I get hardly anything done here, with stress at work and all that real life stuff going on.

And look at all these shiny boxes!

I had to control myself not getting any more of the boxes.... I do not have the space and honestly, with the glacial speed of progression of my painting at the moment, would never get through it all.

But it is kind of addictive- I totally get it. I am already in my head planning yet another new Kill Team I could built up....

That's how I felt when I saw your terrain @Valkia the Bloody! I'd been really trying to get it finished before Christmas but then the KITV challenge came along. I'm glad it did - it meant that I got a whole team finished with the Kroot - but the work on the terrain stalled. My Octarius terrain isn't finished either so I'll probably come back to that after the Kommandos.

Work and real life do get in the way, I hope a little bit of hobbying can be some respite for you.

There is kind of a plan here. I like 'boxed' games like Space Hulk and the idea of KT2.0 being a sealed unit of rules once discontinued. We can play it forever rather than being caught up in the ever-evolving Big 40k ruleset. My 1st edition Space Hulk is just as valid and fun to play as when I was a kid, I think KT2.0 will have an enduring appeal for me too. Also, the collector in me likes boxes :biggrin:.

Of course, as my son gets older he'll probably decide he wants  a massive 40k army or go deep into Necromunda and all my plans will go out the window....

On 3/4/2023 at 11:53 AM, Rusted Boltgun said:

I like 'boxed' games like Space Hulk and the idea of KT2.0 being a sealed unit of rules once discontinued...My 1st edition Space Hulk is just as valid and fun to play as when I was a kid, I think KT2.0 will have an enduring appeal for me too. Also, the collector in me likes boxes :biggrin:.

It doesn't hurt that all of the Kill Team models have been gorgeous, either :wink: :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

A small update though a fair bit of progress on the Phobos Kill Team has been made.

A little tidying and then the packs and heads can go on.

I had a small diversion back into Raven Guard after The Painting Phase's short tutorial on quick black armour. I had a few spare Reivers so I though I would have a go.

It was certainly quick - black undercoat, drybrush with VMC Dark Sea Grey and then tidied with Black Legion. Below with a Knight of athe Raven Minelayer and half finished Raven Guard I first attempted with Tale of Painters' Black Templar recipe.

PXL_20230326_093328174.jpg

PXL_20230326_093424923.jpg

My son has instructed me to finish the Phobos Kill Team and then the Gallowdark terrain so we can have a proper game.

Glad you have enjoyed the journey @space wolf, I can't believe it is nearly a year since I started this thread. Really glad I found the B&C and all the inspiration here. BTW, big fan of your Cobra Kill Team  

Screenshot_20201015-001725.jpg

Thanks @Valkia the Bloody, I am a beakie fan at heart. I think they look cool on the modern armour though my Knights of The Raven kill team will have standard Phobos kit and my Reiver sergeant has the skull helm :ph34r:

The Raven Guard Reivers will form the entourage for Kayvan Shrike who is currently part assembled. The quick black armour method for TPP has grown on me. I think it would look great on 30K Raven Guard.