Rusted Boltgun's WIP

Go to solution Solved by Firedrake Cordova,

Thanks @Firedrake Cordova, Orks appear to suit my slapdash style best. I should just sell on all my Marines and give in to Da Green!

The canisters have had a layer of IF contrast to brighten them up. My attempt at exhaust heat damage is so subtle you can't see it in this dull light!

I have been struggling to get some colour on to this one. We are going Freebooterz - difficult to brighten it up without it looking like it belongs to another Klan. Reckon we need a flag...

The Green Toof markings on the side are a nod to the homebrew chapter I had as a kid - two squads of RTB01 beakies!

PXL_20231013_153851304.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

A friend at work asked me to video some painting so I've had a 'Daddy skive day' and been painting up some Fellgorr Ravagers.

1000008321.jpeg

I soon worked out that if I wanted to make decent progress, three would be my limit.

I'm pleased so far, highlights to add next. 

I've also been working on an RTB01 project. The pose looks off but I'm hoping it will all become clear at the end.

1000008320.jpeg

A landmark moment - my first ever decal

1000008367.jpeg

I didn't use any as a kid after a terrible experience with an Airfix Lysander. I had no clue what I was doing (as if I do now?!).

The decal was 'vintage' too (I bought a few from eBay for my RTB01 rescue projects) and I did it without the aid of my magnifying ring. Why? Because I was impatient.

There may be a wrinkle or two but the fact that it is on there and in roughly the right place makes it a win!

EDIT: I've enjoyed painting this one so much I think I might turn blue for my marines. I'm pivoting away from Kill Team and towards 30K and my intended Word Bearers need an opposing force....

Edited by Rusted Boltgun

• 1 month later...

My posting has been lax but I have been painting.

I now have a excess of projects and not enough time but it isn't bothering me so I'll just crack on...

The Trukk is crawling, stalled as I got to the driver and gunner but I'm getting there. 

The RTB01 projects have similarly stalled while...

1000009930.jpeg

I started a Word Bearers Legionary Kill Team. I wanted to paint another Kill Team and this is also a taster for a 30K army. Well, if you turn to Chaos you can't exactly just sip from the cup....

My standard Vallejo black undercoat, overbrush of VGC Gunmetal to cover the trim and then a base of AK Foundry Red on the armour. Cloth is Rakarth Flesh and a Skeleton Horde / Contrast Medium wash. Leather is my standard VGC Beasty Brown.

Not pictured are the 20 MKiii Tactical Legionaries and a Deredeo I have been prepping.

And just before Christmas, Jr and I are booked in for a 40K into session at our local GW store. Just as well I found my Leviathan box having misplaced it in the loft!

• 1 month later...

A bit of a delayed update to my WIP, I was struck down by Nurgle at New Year and have a house renovation project that has curtailed my hobbying.

Just before New Year I was able to have a painting session at my FLGS - Cryptic Cabin - which was great. Met some lovely people and picked up some nice drybrushes and brush cleaning kit. Unfortunately, I'll miss the next session due to work commitments.

I have got the basecoats and washes on my Word Bearer Kill Team. It turns out that this whole 'two thin coats' rumour is true! The AK metallic red went on much better with two thin coats.

1000011032.jpeg

I thought I had made good progress and then I realised that I haven't done half the shoulder pads or the heads. Oops.

The crew have really slowed down my progress on my Trukk but I'm chipping away at them.

1000011030.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

There has been a little more work on the Trukk and The WB kill team but no photos to share.

Less hobby activity just now thanks to house / garden projects.

Junior Boltgun and I have, however, have got stuck in to another classic Space Hulk game.

This time, C.A.T. Hunt from the Deathwing expansion

1000011692.jpeg

Oh wow, truly classic Space Hulk! :wub: 

I got the 2014 reboot, and was saddened that they never really re-released the original expansions for it :sad: It should really be a keep-in-stock or permanent Made-to-Order in my opinion... :smile: 

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

I've not looked at the reboots @Firedrake Cordova, I didn't know if they tweaked the rules. I'm so lucky my folks held on to this for me.

I still love the game and it is great for playing with my 9yr old - no need to go 'lite' like with Kill Team. 

I can overlook the paint jobs 1990-me did on the Terminators and the 'stealers  (though I quite like the black and silver scheme) as I had the foresight to number the marines, making them easy to track on a mission roster.

Whilst we have 'Genestealer', I'm not sure if I have all the minis. I wasn't that struck on the expansion at the time - overlaying psychic rules added a layer of complexity to what was quite a tight and tense game. It seemed too much to hold in the brain at the time but I need to revisit them. 

Minisodes on YouTube recently made a Deathwing battle report with some nicely painted metal TDA if you fancy some nostalgia in action. 

2 hours ago, Rusted Boltgun said:

I didn't know if they tweaked the rules

Apparently there's a few minor tweaks to the rules in the 2009 re-release, and some more in the 2014 re-release (I only have the 2014 release, so can't really comment...).

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

My painting space has been out of commission so not much progress. It still isn't back together yet so I've been building to add to the painting queue. I enjoyed the Trukk so much I got an Impulsor (there is logic there somewhere).

I managed to add a little more to the Word Bearers.

1000011789.jpeg

1000011788.jpeg

My usual basing to match my other Kill Teams and I've followed the Citadel recipe for pale flesh - Rakarth base, Reikland wash and then re-established Rakarth with an attempt at a glaze. More successful in some places than others.

I don't have any Flayed One Flesh so I'm tempted to go to a Rakarth / Pallid Wych Flesh mix for a further highlight.