World eaters speculation thread.

jimbo1701

My greatest hope for the WE codex (apart from being actually semi-competitively playable for a change) was to have a full Juggernaut unit. Lord Invocatus was great, a Jugger Lord generic is good - but GW just give us a straight up Zerkers on Juggs. 

The unit I really want to find out more about is the new cultist/beastmen guys. Regular cultists just don't fit the 'Beserker horde' theme. They aren't impactful in melee in any meaningful way.

Regarding the Lord of Skulls, the leaker did mention that it was in there. He also specifically called out Terminators as being in the book as well. Evidently the list is incomplete.

They also said that marketing for the book is set to start in January, but was unsure whether this meant that the marketing team would start making it then, or if that's when the marketing would start to be shown. But a late January/early February release sounds about right: we've already had confirmation from GW that Slaves to Darkness for AoS would be in the new year, so WE after then makes sense.

4 hours ago, Cheex said:

Regarding the Lord of Skulls, the leaker did mention that it was in there. He also specifically called out Terminators as being in the book as well. Evidently the list is incomplete.

They also said that marketing for the book is set to start in January, but was unsure whether this meant that the marketing team would start making it then, or if that's when the marketing would start to be shown. But a late January/early February release sounds about right: we've already had confirmation from GW that Slaves to Darkness for AoS would be in the new year, so WE after then makes sense.

That's annoying; I kind of assumed WE would drop with IG; and they would have a new joint starter box.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a little disappointed in the lack of Chaos Lord on foot. Is it a rite of passage for World Eaters to doff their Terminator armour, if they have it, and jump on a Juggernaut the moment they start leading a Warband? Just feels a little strange to me.

Although, part of me holds on to hope that CSM gets a new multipart Chaos Lord and Terminator Lord kits in the future, and that that flows through to WE and DG. 

Other than that, the list is more or less as expected. Very curious to see what the Eightbound (who, hilariously, can't be taken in squads of eight) and Exalted can do.

I am not convinced by the arguments suggesting this is fake, nor am I necessarily convinced it’s real. 

GW really needs no reason to include/exclude anything, other than their whims.

Design philosophy changes throughout an edition, as does formatting and such. 

I would be super disappointed if this is really the extent of the army list, but in the end I would accept these limitations if somehow the army actually works and isn’t dead in the water due to lack of options, special rules, and synergy.

On 11/15/2022 at 4:38 PM, Khornestar said:

I am not convinced by the arguments suggesting this is fake, nor am I necessarily convinced it’s real. 

GW really needs no reason to include/exclude anything, other than their whims.

Design philosophy changes throughout an edition, as does formatting and such. 

I would be super disappointed if this is really the extent of the army list, but in the end I would accept these limitations if somehow the army actually works and isn’t dead in the water due to lack of options, special rules, and synergy.

Whelp, the Jackals and Eightbound models seem to indicate the points are real.

Despite concerns, this probably means I am starting an army with the new Codex. Assuming stats are basically the same for models also featured in the CSM Codex, seeing some potential builds.

- Rhino Rush - Berzerkers in Rhinos, rush up the board and charge. At the new points cost, slogging might be a stretch. While I'd be more confident with this if there were a way to move the Rhino / disembark / charge, max-sized squads could be devastating.

- Angron - along with any combination of troops. Imagining he has better stats than a Bloodthirster and a 12" movement range, he'd be the priority target in any scenario. This would be good for an infantry or daemon engine build.

- Lord Invocatus / Daemon Engines - a fast moving Chaos Lord is a rarity these days. Moving him up the board with some Defilers could put your opponent on the backfoot real quick. If the rumors about Eightbound having a pre-game move prove correct, they could compliment a DE build with charges all over the board.

Alleged leaks:

1. World Eaters Traits
  2. +1 Attack on Charge/charged/HI
  3. +1 Strength on Charge/Charged/HI (May end up being diffrent)
  5. WE Armywide Mechanic: Bloodtithe
  6. Two current rumors:
  7. Rumor 1 is you get a point for each unit destroyed and +1 bonus point for a vehicle/Monster the first time each turn and +1 for Titanic. So you could get up to 3 points if something like Angron was destroyed.
  8. Rumor 2. Works similar to CK favors of the dark gods. Keep a Tally of total wound dealt by models destroyed (I.E. Ork Boyz give 1 point when killed, Custodes troops 3, etc)
  9. Bloodtithe effects (which are PERMANENT)
  10. 6 to hit in Melee Auto wounds
  11. +1 to hit
  12. +1 AP for Melee Weapons
  13. Attacks +1
  14. Add 1 to Advance and Charge
  15. 5+ FNP to Mortals
  16. 6+ FNP to everything
  17. Revive Angron (Puts him into deepstrike with 8 wounds and he deepstrikes next turn
  19. Warlord Traits:
  20. When your WL kills a unit, you get a bonus Bloodtithe point
  21. WL takes half Damage in Melee
  22. Fight First
  23. Angron Trait: Remove OBSEC in 6'
  24. Khârn: if 6 or more models within 3' of Karn gain D3 attacks
  25. See Invoctus for other trait
  27. Relics:
  28. Every Dead model counts as 2 for morale
  29. Relic Axe: +2 S -3 AP Damage 2, 6's to hit grant two additional hits
  30. Select CORE unit with in 6' 6's to hit auto wound
  32. Khârn
  33. 6 2 2 6 4 6 9 9 3+
  34. Pistol 8 -3 2
  35. Axe S:user AP-4 D2
  36. 4+ inv
  37. Core reroll 1's to hit
  38. End of the movement phase if any friendly units are within 3", pick one, on a 2+ cause 2 mortals
  40. Lord Invoctus
  41. Has FLY
  42. Ignores invulns, only unit that does so.
  43. Warlord trait is pregame move 2 CORE WE units OR Select Core or Character within 9" can charge if it fell back. (From different versions)
  44. Has an aura of +2 Movement of CORE WE Units
  46. Jakhals:
  47. 6" 4 4 3 3 1 2 6 6 jak
  48. 6" 4 4 3 3 1 3 7 6+ leader
  49. 6" 4 4 4 3 1 2 6 6+ Dishonored
  50. 2 Attacks at AP -1
  51. A couple can have +2S, -2 AP D2 -1 to hit upgrades
  52. A couplemore can have User -2 AP D2 Double Attacks
  53. Once per battle, can kill D3 of themselves and gain +1 Strength
  55. 8Bound
  56. 9" WS3 BS3 S6 T5 3W LD8 3+/5++
  57. Pregame move built in
  59. Exalted 8bound
  60. 9" WS2 BS3 S6 T5 3W LD8 3+/4++
  61. Prevent Fallback
  62. SGT can get two cahinfists that get Damage 3
  66. Angron:
  67. 2+/4++ 18W
  68. 1 WLT - Removes enemy obsec within 6'
  69. Warp Locus
  70. Currently does not ignore Wound caps or invulns, but has so many attacks he can "Destroy anything in close combat pretty easily"
  71. Can be revived with the bloodtithe mechanic
  74. GENERAL STRATAGEMS:
  75. +1 Damage for Exalte 8bound
  80. KHORNE ARMY of RENOWN:
  81. Khorne Daemons Only and... Land Raiders is the restriction
  82. This means Angron + 8Bound + Maybe Lord Invoctaus from WE and of course the Khorne Daemons
  84. Some AoR Stratagems:
  85. 8bound
  86. +1 to Wound
  87. 6" Consolidate
  88. If an opponent kills in 8bound in their shooting phase, but does not destroy the entire unit you can move it 9" (May have ended up being D6 instead)
  89. Buff Stratagem choose 1: 1)Obsec, 2)wound roll of 6 causes 1 MW up to 6, 3) 4+ FNP against MW
  93. BAD News:
  94. Only 1 Relic/WLT. No Stratagems for extra
  95. Only 3 WLT for non-special Characters
  96. No Subfactions

1 hour ago, Khornestar said:

Alleged leaks:

1. World Eaters Traits
  2. +1 Attack on Charge/charged/HI
  3. +1 Strength on Charge/Charged/HI (May end up being diffrent)
  5. WE Armywide Mechanic: Bloodtithe
  6. Two current rumors:
  7. Rumor 1 is you get a point for each unit destroyed and +1 bonus point for a vehicle/Monster the first time each turn and +1 for Titanic. So you could get up to 3 points if something like Angron was destroyed.
  8. Rumor 2. Works similar to CK favors of the dark gods. Keep a Tally of total wound dealt by models destroyed (I.E. Ork Boyz give 1 point when killed, Custodes troops 3, etc)
  9. Bloodtithe effects (which are PERMANENT)
  10. 6 to hit in Melee Auto wounds
  11. +1 to hit
  12. +1 AP for Melee Weapons
  13. Attacks +1
  14. Add 1 to Advance and Charge
  15. 5+ FNP to Mortals
  16. 6+ FNP to everything
  17. Revive Angron (Puts him into deepstrike with 8 wounds and he deepstrikes next turn
  19. Warlord Traits:
  20. When your WL kills a unit, you get a bonus Bloodtithe point
  21. WL takes half Damage in Melee
  22. Fight First
  23. Angron Trait: Remove OBSEC in 6'
  24. Khârn: if 6 or more models within 3' of Karn gain D3 attacks
  25. See Invoctus for other trait
  27. Relics:
  28. Every Dead model counts as 2 for morale
  29. Relic Axe: +2 S -3 AP Damage 2, 6's to hit grant two additional hits
  30. Select CORE unit with in 6' 6's to hit auto wound
  32. Khârn
  33. 6 2 2 6 4 6 9 9 3+
  34. Pistol 8 -3 2
  35. Axe S:user AP-4 D2
  36. 4+ inv
  37. Core reroll 1's to hit
  38. End of the movement phase if any friendly units are within 3", pick one, on a 2+ cause 2 mortals
  40. Lord Invoctus
  41. Has FLY
  42. Ignores invulns, only unit that does so.
  43. Warlord trait is pregame move 2 CORE WE units OR Select Core or Character within 9" can charge if it fell back. (From different versions)
  44. Has an aura of +2 Movement of CORE WE Units
  46. Jakhals:
  47. 6" 4 4 3 3 1 2 6 6 jak
  48. 6" 4 4 3 3 1 3 7 6+ leader
  49. 6" 4 4 4 3 1 2 6 6+ Dishonored
  50. 2 Attacks at AP -1
  51. A couple can have +2S, -2 AP D2 -1 to hit upgrades
  52. A couplemore can have User -2 AP D2 Double Attacks
  53. Once per battle, can kill D3 of themselves and gain +1 Strength
  55. 8Bound
  56. 9" WS3 BS3 S6 T5 3W LD8 3+/5++
  57. Pregame move built in
  59. Exalted 8bound
  60. 9" WS2 BS3 S6 T5 3W LD8 3+/4++
  61. Prevent Fallback
  62. SGT can get two cahinfists that get Damage 3
  66. Angron:
  67. 2+/4++ 18W
  68. 1 WLT - Removes enemy obsec within 6'
  69. Warp Locus
  70. Currently does not ignore Wound caps or invulns, but has so many attacks he can "Destroy anything in close combat pretty easily"
  71. Can be revived with the bloodtithe mechanic
  74. GENERAL STRATAGEMS:
  75. +1 Damage for Exalte 8bound
  80. KHORNE ARMY of RENOWN:
  81. Khorne Daemons Only and... Land Raiders is the restriction
  82. This means Angron + 8Bound + Maybe Lord Invoctaus from WE and of course the Khorne Daemons
  84. Some AoR Stratagems:
  85. 8bound
  86. +1 to Wound
  87. 6" Consolidate
  88. If an opponent kills in 8bound in their shooting phase, but does not destroy the entire unit you can move it 9" (May have ended up being D6 instead)
  89. Buff Stratagem choose 1: 1)Obsec, 2)wound roll of 6 causes 1 MW up to 6, 3) 4+ FNP against MW
  93. BAD News:
  94. Only 1 Relic/WLT. No Stratagems for extra
  95. Only 3 WLT for non-special Characters
  96. No Subfactions

Reading this, something occurred to me. Rumors be mongerin about pre-game moves, for 8Bound and now with some Warlord traits. There's also some increases to move / charge range in there.

Makes sense for making WE viable, being able to get in close before the battle.

But it also means World Eaters become sneakier than Night Lords. Not necessarily starting in a deployment zone makes them a stealth faction.

On 11/21/2022 at 12:01 PM, techsoldaten said:

Reading this, something occurred to me. Rumors be mongerin about pre-game moves, for 8Bound and now with some Warlord traits. There's also some increases to move / charge range in there.

Makes sense for making WE viable, being able to get in close before the battle.

But it also means World Eaters become sneakier than Night Lords. Not necessarily starting in a deployment zone makes them a stealth faction.

I don't see the pregame move as then bring more sneaky. To me that would be a forward deploy. 

I see the pregame move like the Death Company start for blood angels. They are so bloodthirsty that while normal forces are marshalling and moving to contact these guys are breaking free of the lines in an attempt to hit the enemy as fast as possible. Having 8 Khorne daemons running around in your head tends to do that to a guy it seems.

• 2 weeks later...

As a core rule, I really wanted to see exploding 6's to hit in Assault all game. I just really love that mechanic in the CSM codex, and it would be a blast in this codex with the assault emphasis. 

I know Angron will be hit or miss... and he may go through phases where people find him useful, then GW tweaks him in or out of favour from time to time. It's just what GW does. I'm fine with that and accept he will wax and wane with the flow of updates. What I'm very curious about his those 8 fold Uber-Possessed. I absolutely love those models and their rules aren't... fantastic. So I'm super curious how practical and competitive those guys will be. 

I mean this outside of Strats too. Since the Nephilim lock down on CP's I really don't rate 90% of strats any more since we've all come to rely on 1-2 that just get most often used since the CP nerf. So these super possessed dudes have to have some awesome datasheets in my opinion.

19 hours ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

For the modeling side, we should see a decal sheet at some point. Both the terminators and one of the Land Raiders in their army shots have decals.

Hopefully the base kits like Berserkers come with it.

Honestly I liked the ones they came out with Daemonkin. (are they still the same?)

I hope the new stuff is new decals though. The WE icon is pretty dated. My larger WE collection is older models and I always bought shoulder pads (forgeword) just to get away from the decals.

Of the rumours, I'm especially curious about the Jakals(?) the suped up cultists, and the upgrades. I really hope they come in cheap, and if there are no Accursed cultists in this codex, this unit has to come in pretty cheap or this is potentially a very small model count army.

I think eightbound look quite powerful. Only drawback IMO is the low wound count per model (3). They’re fast, hit hard with damage 2 weapons (damage 3 on exalted) and have some shenanigans to pull. 2 CP stratagem to give them +1 damage could be situationally great, if expensive. Fight on death and heroic intervention strats, as well.

If the lord Invocatus keeps his alleged ability to pregame move 2 core units, that will allow eightbound to get up the field super quick.

All mostly speculation at the moment but they don’t seem weak to me. Opinions/playgroups may vary, but they seem like something to run every game.

Edited by Khornestar

1 hour ago, Khornestar said:

I think eightbound look quite powerful. Only drawback IMO is the low wound count per model (3). They’re fast, hit hard with damage 2 weapons (damage 3 on exalted) and have some shenanigans to pull. 2 CP stratagem to give them +1 damage could be situationally great, if expensive. Fight on death and heroic intervention strats, as well.

I agree. I am of the belief that the 3 wound model count helps keep the point cost low. This is critical to me, as I am seeing this as (potentially) a low model count/elite army which will inherently need to have a structure of plebs around to handle objective/actions/screening, etc.  If these guys are only 3 wounds, but have that high volume of attacks... that will be quite nasty. Just as long as points aren't crazy high.

If the lord Invocatus keeps his alleged ability to pregame move 2 core units, that will allow eightbound to get up the field super quick.

All mostly speculation at the moment but they don’t seem weak to me. Opinions/playgroups may vary, but they seem like something to run every game.

This is big if it's after knowing who goes first (assuming that's how it works). That's never weak. (As it allows retreat as well from a very aggressive set up.

One thing as a side note on the possessed /8 bound I'm wondering is what is (speculatively) the net difference between these? An attack, and the save being 2+?

EDIT: Now I see.... allegedly:

8Bound get the Pre game move built in.

Exalted 8Bound get no retreat aura, and hit on 2+ and a 4++ inv. 

It almost sounds like 8 Bound would be potentially a better option with Angron. (assuming they are cheaper.)

Edited by Prot

I feel like the “leaks” regarding special abilities is all over the place due to different testers in different phases.

I think the current agreement is eightbound get to go into strategic reserves and arrive turn 1 and have ws3+ and 5++, exalted eightbound ws 2+, deep strike, 4++, and a roll-off no fall back aura or something of that nature. 

I don’t know what to think about all that, but just based on 9” movement and the number of attacks I’m hyped.

8 hours ago, Prot said:

EDIT: Now I see.... allegedly:

8Bound get the Pre game move built in.

Exalted 8Bound get no retreat aura, and hit on 2+ and a 4++ inv. 

It almost sounds like 8 Bound would be potentially a better option with Angron. (assuming they are cheaper.)

It sounds like eightbound you'd want to send with Angron, depending on their ability to keep up, and have the Exalted Eightbound elsewhere to spread around the no retreat auras to other parts of the battlefield?

Edited by WrathOfTheLion