+ + Perfection in all things - Emperor's Children 9th edition codex tactica thread ++

3 hours ago, mikael said:

Characters and core unit have to take the mark so they get slaanesh keyword, that much is clear.

But in more then one review I saw that other units like possessed and vehicles also get the slaanesh keyword and I can't find where it says so in the codex.

I don't have my codex in front of me, but it's on the page before the rules for "Let The Galaxy Burn." At the bottom left of that page it tells you that if a unit does not have the "Chaos Undivided" keyword, or they are ineligible to take a Mark of Chaos, they lose any "Chaos Undivided" keywords they might have and gain the Slaanesh keyword.

What do you guys think about kitting out terminators?

The autocannon vs flamer does not look too bad? What do you think?

No hit penalty and ap -2 sounds better in an AOC environment right?

Also thinking about maxing out on chain and powerfists.

Also combi weapons could fire in parallel without penalty. But I feel like those are reserved for PL games.

Also running noise marines look pretty nice.

Going to have my first Game (Crusade) with the new book this weekend. 

Pretty exited. Has anyone any remarks on our crusade side of the book?

The reward \ punishment system seems pretty harsh at first chance.

Edited by Maschinenpriester

9 hours ago, Maschinenpriester said:

While these seem harsh on first sight, you only lose 1 glory in a loss in average. And the specific agendas reward additional glory. So as long AS the CSM does not lose horribly, they should be fine.

And the rewards are very nice. A free rp per Game + an extra 

23 hours ago, Maschinenpriester said:

What do you guys think about kitting out terminators?

The autocannon vs flamer does not look too bad? What do you think?

No hit penalty and ap -2 sounds better in an AOC environment right?

Also thinking about maxing out on chain and powerfists.

Also combi weapons could fire in parallel without penalty. But I feel like those are reserved for PL games.

Also running noise marines look pretty nice.

Going to have my first Game (Crusade) with the new book this weekend. 

Pretty exited. Has anyone any remarks on our crusade side of the book?

I take my 5 guys with double flamer and double melta. Honor the prince got way less consistent on those 9" deepstrike charges. It used to be a 8/9 chance to make it, and you did not have to spend the CP on that 10/36 chance you roll a 9 out of the gate. Now it's a 2/3 chance to make the 9" charge, and you have to spend the CP 100% of the time. Long story short, guns are more important than ever, and I feel that they're worth the 5 points/model.

I also take the heavy flamer, especially with the +2 hits on LTGB. I've never understood autocannons, they always feel completely worthless. They're anti elite guns without enough shots to consistently take out elites. They hit that S7 breakpoint without enough damage to threaten a vehicle. On terminators its a long range gun on a unit that should always be close to the enemy. It's the middle ground fallacy manifested in 40K.

Noise marines are great. Even a totally unbuffed squad of 5 is a serious threat if they're with 12" and getting that Damage 2.

Edited by TheWillTheWay

I agree with honor the prince. This is why I think letting them start on the board t1 makes a lot of sense. Autocannons could help them reach out and plink damage some distant targets while not getting -1 to hit.

Black rune  and various other buffs making them hard to remove.

Edited by Maschinenpriester

That makes sense, terminators are pretty good candidates for standing on homefield objective and staying there the whole game. One of my opponents also shoves ten BA relic terminators with lightning claws in his spartan to hold the midfield. That's always extremely scary. I just have too much fun using them to back cap critical objectives. With our the Canvas Ecclectic and behind enemy lines secondaries my one unit of terminators frequently represents a 10+ point swing. 

Edited by TheWillTheWay

So I had my first match with the emperors children with the new codex in an campaign environment.

So my list included 2 legends options. A jumppack lord with hammer and combi melter and a sonic dread.

These are my takeaways:

EC feel solid and their trait came in handy many times. I have been loading up on fists, and my terminators just shot both combi components when they could.

Speaking of which, terminators definitely form a solid brick. And hit hard in cc and have a solid damage output with melta and plasma. I could not differentiate that either flamer or autocannon did much better. It was a PL game so they where free anyways. But that has probably been the result of AoC of my opponent.

Noise marines also felt very potent!

Even without support, it felt good just advancing and shooting without penalty. Getting in half range and blasting away.

I used a MoP to buff the Noise marine squad with +1 toughness and 5+ fnp.

I also revived a few bodies.

This strategy left me with two rather threatening bricks moving up the midfield taking objectives.

Cultists and spawns did their job performing actions and holding objectives out of sight or tying up enemies.

LC Havocs felt a bit like lackluster.

The sonic dread was an absolute beast with he twin blasmasters, but is a legends option of course.

The jumppack lord did not feel to overpowered considering the things my Raven guard opponent could do.

It felt like a fair match up first. Unfortunately for my opponent the tides turned T2 and it turned out a little one-sided in the end with a Flawless Victory for my emperors children.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at playing a new escalation league using EC. My first opponents are Night Lords and Necrons. My first 500 is in theory. Obviously everything has MoS.  Whats funny to me is in 2E my 2k force would have had 5 less models than this. 

5 Terminators with the Rune and an auto cannon

5 Marines with a Balefire tome + Delightful Agonies and Prescience.

11 Cultists

1 Dark Apostle with Rainment Revulsive and Illusionary Supplication.

No opponents have been chosen yet for the second round but my list will continue with most of the same. 

Same Dark Apostle

9 terminators with one with autocannon and Rune

5 marines with balefire tome and an Autocannon

5 Noise Marines with sonic blasters and blast master

5 noise marines with sonic blasters and blast master

5 bare raptors

I know Rainment Revulsive isnt great but it allows me to accompany the terminators and let them do actions and in these small point battles where every unit needs to be able to do multiple jobs I felt it was worth it. I doubt I will use it in higher points however. 

Really hoping the new possessed models come out in the near future, starting to run low on finished models but the league only goes up to 1500 anyway.

So I’m doing some more testing and one thing I’m wondering is why I don’t see more Oblits since I guess they get the keyword l and could therefore get Delghtful Agonies cast on them…. Unless I’m reading that wrong. 

also wondering why I rarely see Chosen with EC, but I imagine that’s because other units take better advantage of not being -1 to hit for fists/combi weapons. 

I have a unit of chosen planned in my 2k list if that helps using palatine blades models. My EC is more fluffy and a painting project than it is competitive however. They will be using 5 dudes with bladees and a couple combi meltas.