Warhammer 40,000; Rogue Trader Videogame

Slightly off topic, but related to the ultimate quality of this game, but for those who played Pathfinder: Kingmaker, what was your opinion of the quality of the writing?  I bought it a little while ago after learning about it from this thread and played for a little bit, but was pretty disappointed with the quality of the writing in the intro sequence.  It seemed pretty cheesey and hamfisted.  Does it pick up at all later in the game?  I wanted to like it, but the beginning really turned me off, and in turn killed a lot of hype I had for this game.

I thought the writing was fine overall, don’t forget it’s based on a tabletop module so is restricted by that. You’re better to look at wrath of the righteous though as that was their later offering.

I enjoy mortismal games, being a regular viewer myself. Glad he got to make an exclusive announcement.

word bearers should be a cool antagonist. I really like the concept art!

34 minutes ago, Sothalor said:

I have no experience with Kingmaker, only with Wrath of the Righteous

Overall, I'd say the writing is fine/passable. There are some ups-and-downs with character portrayals and plotting. I'd say... probably not as good as prime Bioware, better than modern Bioware.

Tough to beat prime Bioware though. Its still the gold standard to me. I enjoyed Wrath of the Righteous a lot, outside a few plot lines maybe.

• 1 month later...

Kingmaker was the better version of the pathfinder games they made. Wrath of the righteous was so buggy it was so unplayable and ruined the game for me, they may have finally fixed it, but the experience prior was too painful.

And with the wealth of races and classes they had in Kingmaker,

And the wealth of races/ professions in warhammer 40K as the universe is quite large, I am expecting a great deal of customisation when creating a character.

Edited by Triszin

7 minutes ago, Reskin said:

Kingmaker was the better version of the pathfinder games they made. Wrath of the righteous was so f%#^ing buggy it was so unplayable and ruined the game for me, they may have finally fixed it, but the experience prior was too painful.

That was my experience with the Baldur's Gate 3 alpha they released as 'Early Access'. Unplayable mess. WotR wasnt bad for me at all, but man was it a long game.

56 minutes ago, Reskin said:

Kingmaker was the better version of the pathfinder games they made. Wrath of the righteous was so f%#^ing buggy it was so unplayable and ruined the game for me, they may have finally fixed it, but the experience prior was too painful.

And with the wealth of races and classes they had in Kingmaker,

And the wealth of races/ professions in warhammer 40K as the universe is quite large, I am expecting a great deal of customisation when creating a character.

I prefer kingmaker in many ways, but wrath of the righteous does have far more options available without mods (I did make the arcane archer class for kingmaker over on nexus though lol).

I think both games are great though, a better played turn based than real time with pause IMO (although the nostalgia of RTwP due to my first gaming love of BG1 isn't lost on me).

Overall I'm cautiously optimisitc for this Rogue Trader game, however I'm kinda sad I have to be a rogue trader, personally never been a part of the setting I've cared over much for, though I can see how they're a good choice for a game to be based around. That said, I'd actually have really liked to have played as a rogue traders newest ally and have the plot push you into a position where you're essentially made relevant and important via that - because then I could have played an eldar outcast, or a deathwatch "kill marine" (the ones that don't work as part of squads but are loaned out to rogue traders per the Death Watch RPG books lore), or a psyker or any number of other things. Honestly, the type of character it seems you're likely to be forced into playing is likely to be the biggest turn off for me... but im hoping theres more scope to what you can make than it appears so far.

I think they had a tweet where they specifically said they're going purely turn-based, which is a bit of a turn-off for me. RTwP is by far the better CRPG system in my opinion. Still, it's not a dealbreaker. 

The collector's edition is expensive, sure, but the base version is only $40. It's a solid range.  

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting- for those that get in, keep us up to date. Looking forward to it, but just got the basic edition as I've been burned by pre-order stuff before, so I'll only be in the Beta.

I must admit, when I see things like "Early Alpha" or "Alpha Starts on XX/XX/XXXX" it sullies my excitement significantly.

I don't want to play the unfinished, un-polished product. Keep the game back until it is completed. One of the most enjoyable aspects of games like the new God of War or Elden Ring is that they are polished, complete experiences that don't require dozens of patches and have no additional DLC.

Errr elden ring has had a LOT of patches, and has a bunch of broken content on release. I get the general sentiment but not the best of examples.

Also, these smaller studios tend to get better end results with the fan interaction as a result, it worked well for wrath of the righteous and seems to be working well for BG3. Nobody has to engage with the alpha, but those that want to help shape how the game grows have the option to do so. Have to remember that these aren’t AAA companies (admittedly, both are far more successful than they were when releasing earlier games)

2 hours ago, Orange Knight said:

I must admit, when I see things like "Early Alpha" or "Alpha Starts on XX/XX/XXXX" it sullies my excitement significantly.

I don't want to play the unfinished, un-polished product. Keep the game back until it is completed. One of the most enjoyable aspects of games like the new God of War or Elden Ring is that they are polished, complete experiences that don't require dozens of patches and have no additional DLC.

So just wait and buy it later? It's no secret it's an Early Access/alpha product. 

This isn't Darktide where they pitch it as a full release and it's performance is awful and the servers are up and down like a pair of knickers. 

I've decided this is one RPG I'd rather wait until it's in a more complete state, so I'm simply not buying it until then. Nevermind it's cheaper to do that since the alpha-packs are the expensive ones.

Edited by Lord Marshal