Warhammer 40,000; Rogue Trader Videogame

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a good review of the alpha-state trial from Goonhammer. 

TLDR- Looking very promising. Some minor issues that may be just because of where the alpha-state drops the player in (no tutorial for a complicated combat system) and some aesthetic issues (not grim enough character pics), but overall a lot of depth and good overall experiences from the five different testers.

A lot of what they say is bad, I wouldn’t agree with tbh. Some of it is actually things I’d expect and want from an isometric rpg. It’s NOT meant to be an action game with super simplified mechanics, I want room to grow and built and customise, and the more complex combat system is good (it will have a tutorial in main release I’m sure, as this early access skips all the prologue). I don’t see an issue with having to walk across the map to a vendor either *shrug*

That last bit is something I almost want clarification on. Is he seriously suggesting a CRPG should let you sell items straight out of inventory at any time? That's... what?

Friction is important in video games. There are supposed to be moments that force you to stop and think about what you're going to do next. I don't want a game that's been sanded down to the point where it glides into your eyes and out of your ears without touching anything along the way. 

It might be more of you can only sell certain items to certain merchants, rather than being able to dump all your inventory-clogging rando junk off onto the nearest shop. Otherwise, I'm also unclear on the real complaint. 

Still, if the only "issues" right now are a slightly complex combat system (not a problem in my view), some aesthetic choices, and the shopping thing, then it's really looking up for the game and I'm excited for next year!

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

It turns out the game is actually solid, and is even available on consoles. I don't have access to a gaming rig at the moment so I will invest my time in this.

Reviews from trusted sources have been generally positive, and the game offers value for money:

Also, as any good CRPG should be - a lot of the focus is on characters and relationships. 

Whispers in the warp suggest that it might actually be possible to romance an Eldar girl in this game. It would appear that Roboute Guilliman's example is rubbing off on people...

I've only finished the prologue, but so far I'm enjoying it. The voice acting is generally very good, though it's not fully voiced which may annoy people in this day and age but it's not like Owlcat is the biggest studio out there I suppose. I like that the writing generally assumes you're coming into this with foreknowledge about 40k but with enough "What the feth are you talking about?" dialogue choices and 'hover-overs' for people who are going in without much, if any, prior knowledge of the universe - or even the Koronus Expanse itself.

The PC Gamer review complaining about combat being too complicated was a little strange, as thus far I haven't found it difficult to grasp even as somebody who isn't a big CRPG aficionado (I've played a lot of the FFG RPGs, however this isn't a straight up port of them), but I guess that's the consequence of releasing in a post-Baldur's Gate 3 world. 

Edited by Lord Marshal

Just got out of the prologue and done a few mission in the first system you get access too. It has been a blast.

The feel of 40k has been captured very well. Combat has plenty of blood and isn't complicated. I don't know what drugs the PC Gamer reviewer was on when he played the game. 

It isn't as flashy as BG3 but probably is a bit deeper on the stats part of an rpg. The combat isn't as smooth as xcom turn based combat but it has more in depth classes than xcom. 

If you like rpgs and/or owlcats previous games and you like 40k then I think you will like this (based on the little bit I've played so far).

I've played it on pc, no game breaking bugs experienced. Think I've only had 1 bug in 4 hrs of gameplay which was a corpse wouldn't stay still and kept making noise which stopped when the dialogue ended. Although I can't say if more bugs are encountered the further in you go.

Edited by Subtleknife

Quite liked the prologue, which is all I've had time to try yet. Voice acting (when there is any) is good. Graphics are nice enough, artwork (character portraits and such) is really nice, audio is decent, ingame "cutscenes" feel rather simple. Character builds seems to have zounds of options. Haven't really quite grasped it all.

Overall it seems like it might good game to sink one's teeth into

7 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

and the flagship of a rouge trader dynasty is a frigate....:ermm:

Whats the issue there? 99% of ships in the imperium would have no chance against a military frigate.   BFG lore has always had frigate sized ships as the mainstay of system defence fleets and being the vast majority of battle groups.

Dont forget most of the battles we see in the books and codex are RARE, having multiple cruiser+ vessels is a major major engagement. A frigate is fully capable of doing pretty much anything vs trade ships and civilian ships. Has the space to transport a fair ammount and does not need the INSANE crew of cruiser+ ships. Plus speed and low (relatively) upkeep costs. 

Now if its a frigate sized civilian ship it raises question marks, but a pure bred naval frigate? Thats a bloody PRIZE for any dynasty. 

Being playing it since the beta and I really enjoy it, you can clearly see the evolution from Kingmaker and Wrath of the Righteous.

One of my favourite things about it is that the game is set right after the fall of Cadia and the Cicatrix is formed, which gives a genuinely good reason for why a Rogue Trader has to go around his entire trade empire reconnecting it.

3 hours ago, Nagashsnee said:

Whats the issue there? 99% of ships in the imperium would have no chance against a military frigate.   BFG lore has always had frigate sized ships as the mainstay of system defence fleets and being the vast majority of battle groups.

Dont forget most of the battles we see in the books and codex are RARE, having multiple cruiser+ vessels is a major major engagement. A frigate is fully capable of doing pretty much anything vs trade ships and civilian ships. Has the space to transport a fair ammount and does not need the INSANE crew of cruiser+ ships. Plus speed and low (relatively) upkeep costs. 

Now if its a frigate sized civilian ship it raises question marks, but a pure bred naval frigate? Thats a bloody PRIZE for any dynasty. 

In the actual Rogue Trader TTRPG you could get up to a Grand Cruiser, a Frigate is fine as a starting point but any Rogue Trader worth its Warrant of Trade would definitely try to get the best ship around, a Grand Cruiser would be a testament the Rogue Traders power and wealth and in the case of the Koronus Expanse you have 2 other Rogue Traders rto compete with.

Played the beta, enjoyed it immensely- really felt like playing a combination of FFG's RPGs and a tactical battle game. Can't wait to start playing now, have it downloaded and everything but working until Monday, which is date night...Tuesday here I come!

8 hours ago, Valkyrion said:

When in combat I can right stick a 360 degree view, but in normal play I can't - have I ticked/unticked a box in a setting somewhere? I can't find it if I have.

I'm playing on steam using an Xbox controller and for me to control if the cam is locked down or rotatable it's clicking in the analog stick.