Warhammer 40,000; Rogue Trader Videogame

On 12/12/2023 at 6:10 AM, Nagashsnee said:

He did fully man a ship, a frigate, which you were not happy with.  You then jumped the light cruiser, cruiser and battle cruiser and went straight to the grand cruiser. Which yes i find pretty ridiculous., out of curiosity why not just got for a full on battleship?   But anyhow you do you. 

And for the record, jack sparrow IS a great example of how many rogue trader would operate, take as much as you can when you think you can get away with it while abusing every ounce of your non existent but put on authority while within imperial borders to fool anyone stupid enough to be fooled by it, and run run run at the first sign of someone with a brain and the muscle to back it up. Whose fortune relies just as much on luck as anything else. Just cleaner and with the ability to speak without slurring. 

I must disagree, there are significant examples of rogue traders controlling entire fleets of battleship class vessels and local navy having a heart attack when they arrive in a system as they could do nothing if the rogue trader chose to take charge. The second enforcer book is a great example of this.

The most powerful rogue traders have an insane amount of influence and their power is very real. The rogue trader charters are all signed by the high lord's as a minimum with the oldest ones being signed by the emperor or the primarchs making them holy relics. They are also incredibly vague in what limitations they actually give. Even the inquisition struggles to actually keep rogue traders in line.

I haven't played the game yet but not being able to get ever increasing ship sizes and build a fleet would be rather disappointing.

The story is very much a "back from the brink" sort of situation, so starting the journey with a recently mauled frigate is reasonable. As for actually aquiring new ships, I don't know if that's possible in the video game, but in the old FFG RPG aquiring even a new bulk freighter for your fleet was an enormous undertaking. Warp capable vessels take decades to construct and are highly prized. Aquiring a new ship would probably end up being an Endeavor (TM) spanning mulitple sessions.

With minimal spoilers... Lord Winterscale and Lady Chorda, your rivals in the game, do command fleets, built up by their ancestors' succseful expeditions into the expanse.. But Lady Valancius (The PC's predecessor) was the first of her dynasty to visit the expanse. Your crew do make references to more established holdings (Probably in the neighboring Calixis sector), but the fact that your predecessor was forced to expend a huge amount of reaources tracking down her distant cousins like the PC for possible heirs implies the recent fortunes of the Von Valancius dynasty have been rather dismal.

Edited by Squark

I have bought this on PS5 but haven't actually started playing yet. A few other games have been competing for my time.

I know a patch just dropped for the PC version that will soon be hitting consoles as well.

If anyone has any experience with the PS5 or SX version, how is it running on console?

On 12/15/2023 at 4:24 PM, Emperor Ming said:

I wouldn't want my most important relic, the warrant of trade on some frigate:laugh:

I mean...pretty sure Frigates are the main stay of most battlefleets and leagues beyond most non-Navy vessels, with a crew into the 10s of thousands. It's very much the kind of ship a Rogue Trader could get their hands and that enables them to go and do whatever they want. Don't really see the issue. 

Space combat is fun. And they have done a really awesome job designing Drukhari ships.

Also a few new chaos ships. Including one that can generate small local warp rifts.

The game as a whole is by far the best 40k game. The characters are great, atmosphere is spot on. There is humor here and there and some very creepy warp stuff.

Also warp travel is can be really scary, leaving you to deal with demon infestations and such.

It is just so cool to see various 40k stuff in a proper good game

18 minutes ago, Redcomet said:

Space combat is fun. And they have done a really awesome job designing Drukhari ships.

Also a few new chaos ships. Including one that can generate small local warp rifts.

The game as a whole is by far the best 40k game. The characters are great, atmosphere is spot on. There is humor here and there and some very creepy warp stuff.

Also warp travel is can be really scary, leaving you to deal with demon infestations and such.

If you have played Battlefleet Gothic 2 you will realize that all ships have been heavily based on that game, down the colours, which is cool since it gives a sense of consistency.

19 hours ago, Redcomet said:

Not sure if its the best one but easily very high up on a top games list. Easily in my top three but I'll reserve final judgement until ive finished at least one playthrough

Gotten a fair bit into the game now. I'd say my main criticisms would be not everything working with characters (which given the absolute magnitude of level up options is hardly surprising, expecting a lot of those broken things to be patched). In general I feel theres too many options for leveling but this is an issue with the rogue trader TT rules rather thanowlcats adaptation.

A lot of the systems can feel a bit detached from each other (the main game maps where you walk around with your avatar and fight, the space combat, the colony management and the charting of space routes on the expanse map. The latter one can have you end up kind of soft locked if you dont manage your resources right. Not even sure how I got out of it.

Lastly the game is really really big and there's so much dialogue but precious little is voice acted. The animations and cutscenes and such can also leave you feeling a little underwhelmed. But given the absolute magnitude of the game and its likely budget its understandable.

The game is definately a unique experience when it comes to 40k computer games. I hope it does well because I want more like it. Also hoping to see it do well with the non 40k crowd and drum up interest that way.

I read at least twice as quickly as the actors deliver the lines so I'm happy that the voice acting is limited to certain characters and situations.

Edited by Cactus
Actors delivering lights? I guess that's light entertainment!

2 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

The amount of loading screens is starting to drive me crazy:laugh:

Loading too and back to the star map shouldn't require two or any:down:

They're hardly noticeable on my end, but I imagine if the game was installed on a hard drive or my older rig, they'd drive me nuts.

And this isn't meant to come across as a dig on your setup, I'm just saying im barely within tolerance levels where they go by fast enough not to bother me, if I had to spend any amount of time on them, there being quite a lot of them is a genuine concern.

8 minutes ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

They're hardly noticeable on my end, but I imagine if the game was installed on a hard drive or my older rig, they'd drive me nuts.

And this isn't meant to come across as a dig on your setup, I'm just saying im barely within tolerance levels where they go by fast enough not to bother me, if I had to spend any amount of time on them, there being quite a lot of them is a genuine concern.

Was an issue for Wrath of the Righteous as well, I'm sure on the same engine.

I’m going to purchase this game soon. Did anyone get the deluxe edition? Only reason I’d consider it would be for the sound track. Is the sound track any good? It would be for listening while painting or playing tabletop. Going to hold off on the season pass until I beat the base game. 

3 hours ago, Wolf Guard Dan said:

I’m going to purchase this game soon. Did anyone get the deluxe edition? Only reason I’d consider it would be for the sound track. Is the sound track any good? It would be for listening while painting or playing tabletop. Going to hold off on the season pass until I beat the base game. 

I bought the version with everything when Warhammer+ handed out a 50% discount code for a preorder. The music is really really good. The score for the opening menu would be 10/10 for background for gaming. 

Hit the same problem. Cleared act 3 and things aren't completing. I can continue the story but I can't complete a companion quest. Going to take a break for a bit. They are putting out patches quite frequently.

I have really enjoyed the game up until this point. However, some things do need balancing...my navigator after two turns in a fight is practically the Emperor incarnate literally soloing fights (no exageration) where my team is wiped and she is unkillable/unhittable, constantly healing and doing massive damage. I haven't even tried to min/max her, was trying to stick to the lore and picked her navigator powers pretty much at random.

And just below her in power for me is the trusty seneschal abalard. The emperor should have chinned off the primarchs and cloned this dude 20 times, would have conquered the galaxy and more.

Edited by Subtleknife

1 hour ago, Subtleknife said:

However, some things do need balancing...my navigator after two turns in a fight is practically the Emperor incarnate literally soloing fights (no exageration) where my team is wiped and she is unkillable/unhittable, constantly healing and doing massive damage.

Yeah, Cassia is crazy powerful. Most of my fights now, the enemies aren't even getting to act, or if they do then they attack Abelard who's built to tank and basically doesn't give a damn. Kind of ridiculous. It's pretty fun overall and cool to have something 40k that's actually interactive, but it's a swingy game, lots of imbalance.

Just met Eldar Ranger :ph34r:

Ranger went Assassin because main is Voidborn Crimelord Bounty Hunter w/ long las. The sniping duel just got started HARD. Agree on Cassia, but I'm just using her to Bring it Down for extra snipes from Pasqal's 'Rear' echelon and get a few heals (Command / get back in the fight) without needing much Veil. Abelard is distraction carnifex obvs, and then Pasqal w/ plasma (and tech-use 97) and Argenta w/ pistols up front. I somewhat foolishly made argenta a plasma expert, but right now plasma pistol / hand flamer is getting her so many attacks up close that I'm pleasantly surprised. May re-spec to capitalize on the pistols build as I like it more than just a second melee brawler. With pistols or bolter she's a good asset just a few steps behind the Abelard train. I did initiate the 'special flamer' project, so she'll probably get that instead of bolter in a few.

Should we set up a thread for this game that's not in the news section? Fun to read Fraters' responses and experiences... sorry some of you had bad act 3 experience but hopefully patches are helping.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.