++A Mournful Howl Across the Steppes++ - A Vlka Fenryka 13th Great Company Plog

TheTrans

Good Morning all!

As the Thunder Warrior journey draws to a close (for the time being, I love that army so every chace it will get more stuff added!) I've started looking at an army that has always been near and dear to my heart, but never fully acted upon. The first 40k boxed set I got 21 odd years ago was the awesome old 3rd ed Grey Hunters box of wolves from back in the day, I remeber watching the wulfen come out with the Eye of Terror campaign and all the cool armour mixing and what not the 13th great company entailed. 

So 30k, 13th Great Company, here we go! 

So only baby steps now as due to the move I haven't set up my 3d printer and am getting a mate to do the 3d prints for me. 

The army will be based heavily around the Fummelfinger (if you don't know him, look him up, amazing stuff) MK2 sculpts, which are already quite large to begin with, but I'm intending my wolves to have a small allied detachment of Solar Auxilia with them. Alas that Solar Auxili are based on Palatine Subjugators which are obnoxiously large, and if you didn't know, now you know, I must have my post-human warriors scaled well to their human underlings. 

So below I give you the first start on both a Solar Aux and a Space Wolf.

image.thumb.jpeg.fc6ed74f57bcc7054cce110c4b08c8ba.jpeg

For this army I'm really only going to rely on the 3d prints for the basic armour body, legs, packs arms and pads. Everything else will be 'standard' stuff as 3d printing resin is a prick to work with and I love converting stuff haha. 

Even though there will no doubt be some wulfen mixed into the army, maybe even just a command squad, I want these wolfs to be quite serious and dark, foreboding may be a better word, I think with the wolves it can be a very fine line between 'menacing space vikings with wolf symbology' and 'frost-ice wizard axe while riding a thunder-storm-hurricane wolf-wolf' and by god does the latter not belong in 30k (or to be honest, anywhere). 

image.thumb.jpeg.efa72cf1e611533327a909565378206a.jpeg

The above image is just to give you an idea of the scale. While the marine is exessively larger than the old MK2 sculpt, I blame the Palantine Subjugator for the distinct increase in size! 

As to colouration and general vibe I found this picture on the net  that perfect encapsulates 30k wolves to me:
image.thumb.jpeg.25779ad55ac68e84bffb67ae5b5f1dc4.jpeg

So thats where I'm leaving you today, my jobs over the course of this week is to get the hobby room set up so I can get painting and hobbying proper!

I have a large wad of MK2 marines on their way from my friend as well as a heap of wolf based bits and kits to start slowly massaging into an army. 

I'm actually getting a bit excited to get into this project and try and put a bit of a gritty, grimdark, blanchian spin on the old space pups!

Heya gang!

Been a bit quiet as after a week of a sick kid I've not had a heap of hobby mojo let alone time haha. But I did manage to start sketching out some wulfen poses last night!

These guys will just be run under the Command Squad rules in HH2.0, each having either a power spear (so +1 S, AP3, +1 I to represent wulfen being a bit faster and stronger than normal marines) and a couple of power axes as AP is a problem haha. 

Anyway, I thought I'd lean back toward the Eye of Terror styled wulfen then...those..ah...'things' we recieved with the tactical cargo shorts. 

utt7nwelspd91.thumb.webp.014e492c675760c4e213f8e6628f6871.webp
o5dsa3slspd91.thumb.webp.df869566762d4aca4a6831c9bf73e141.webp 

87j0wwllspd91.thumb.webp.bf9d7fcdbe0f6dcc202155bd93a2d236.webp

oi3bz9ylspd91.thumb.webp.ba304a95b03342623d2a615eb1401e31.webp

q1o1iq4mspd91.thumb.webp.cfdafcd75dd1fca6518af5a2d0f40381.webp

6kffsb7mspd91.thumb.webp.4f2dda5dcd093af7878cde8f9dec520a.webp

wbnjhzdmspd91.thumb.webp.2d07da86b7996a0c87675d620d7982bd.webp

So somehow my favourite wulfen(the first one) was also the first one I started parting together. 

These are all just there to sketch out poses so far and I think the larger Fummefinger prints match well with the wulfen arms. 

Parts are pretty basic, most of the bric-a-brac and arms are from the nu-wulfen squad, the heads where callously clipped from some of the old 3rd ed EoT wulfen which have so much more character, much less derp and can actually sit relativley ok in a standard marine collar haha. 

So this is just the first three, all told there will be a total of 9-10 true wulfen in the army, with slight winks toward others slowly going. 

Fumme Finger is soon to release some Cataphractii which I can't wait to turn into some Terminator Deathsworn/pre-wulfen and be running them as Varangyr! 

Anyway, keep tuned for more bits and pieces, going to try and get the test model done to cement in the paint job!

On 7/20/2022 at 3:47 PM, Pearson73 said:

Very much looking forward to this, nice choice of art to inspire the project too. Got any plans for the colours of the Solar Auxilia?

Thanks mate, yeah that bit of art is ace! As are some of the old Heresy TCG wolf art! No idea on the solar aux yet, I'm gonna have to play around and see what compliments the wolves!

On 7/19/2022 at 11:56 PM, space wolf said:

My name is space wolf, and I approve of this post!

Glad to hear it!

On 7/19/2022 at 5:04 PM, Grotsmasha said:

mkII Wolves? Yes please :thumbsup:

Only way to run them!! 

Heya gang,

Have been slowly cracking along on the trial marine. Its a combination of the Cult of Paint Space Wolves and Sons of Horus tutorials with a couple of changes here and there. 

"Fyrst Einn" of the Rout's 13th Great Company. Touched by the Canis.

somq92nxmwe91.thumb.webp.cdd92dd39fea4bcd994fc548dd575266.webp

k996elxxmwe91.thumb.webp.9cdb7d3cedc6981d7c16445c319a0f57.webp

tnqenidymwe91.thumb.webp.5d076590f1714fd8515d77e5adbf6c67.webp

yfruwt2ymwe91.thumb.webp.666f45a742d3f8e3c3c754f25f9671b8.webp

mevnhz6ymwe91.thumb.webp.0f512ad4a9b213fd7da0121144b489f7.webp

So this fella is just sort of a proof of concept/see if the idea will work. 

I think a darker, more moody and professional vibe is hopefully prevalent on him. Most of the Grey Stalkers/Slayers probably won't have quite as much wolfy stuff on them.

You can't really see it but his left shoulderpad/arm/hand a black to mark him out as having some like low key proto-wulfen tendencies (I'll rig up some headcannon/riff off the 13th fluff and the grey areas so I can shimmy bits around on markings and the make up of the 13th but essentially all of the 13th in my head cannon will be marked with at least a black armband arm, to denote wulfen tendancies. All speakers/apothecaries will be fully black, maybe with a white arm (to note apothecarion?). Deathsworn/Deathsworn termies (varangr) will be fully black, with possibly a single grey right arm, just to tie them back into being space wolves. 

The Wulfen Command squad will be a hodge podge of all the above markings to denote while the curse can follow like steps eg Stage 1: Bigger fangs, Stage 2: Charges all the time, Stage 3: muscle growth etc... that sometimes the turn can happen for any number of reasons at any time. 

Anyway, currently building the first 10 Grey Slayers (5 shield, 5 bolter), An apoth, 6 wulfen, including standard bearer and a pair of trial recon marines, just to cement in the looks and colour styles. 

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! 

On 7/26/2022 at 6:48 PM, Pearson73 said:

Solid again, I like the idea of power spears to represent their ferocity and enhanced strength.

Thanks mate, full credit goes to my mate Jay for that suggestion, works fantastically! 

On 7/27/2022 at 7:30 AM, dbrollsdice said:

Love this idea and that deep stone grey colouration is perfect, exactly how I picture them when reading the books. Can’t wait to see more. 

Thanks mate, hopefully got close to it with the above dude. 

You've nailed that grey, really evokes the art . The mix of colours n the pelt is also good, makes it look more real.

Liking the idea of the black armour bands to denote their status/predicament.

On 8/1/2022 at 3:55 PM, Pearson73 said:

You've nailed that grey, really evokes the art . The mix of colours n the pelt is also good, makes it look more real.

Liking the idea of the black armour bands to denote their status/predicament.

Thanks mate, wanted to keep it pretty gloomy. Thanks mate, legit just winged it with a couple of colours and wet blended it in a very ghetto fashion haha.

Yeah just to differentiate them a bit.