This was raised by our very own Chapter Master Valrak as shown below. The reference is small but it gives us a theme and time frame, rather loosely.

I for one am most excited about Epic. The prospect of expansions for alien races (because the setting is separate to the rules) is immense.

Please note the 10th edition rumours has its own topic so this isn't the place for them.

Edited by Captain Idaho

I'll just quote myself from that thread.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm still extremely sceptical about Epic being a thing. I'm one of the first to laugh off the idea of 3D printers hurting GW's bottom line, but sub-15mm miniatures are the one thing where they could actually "go brrrrr" into GW's pocket due to the tiny scale and lack of detail being the type of thing a printer could replicate without much trouble.

The timing is also a bit sus, insofar as people were speculating Epic due to AI getting a Heresy supplement, like how the the "Inquisition with Gland-Warriors" rumours popped up five minutes after people figured out the Rumour Engine was from the 54mm Inquisitor game.

Hope we do get Epic, but I'd be surprised if we did.

Edited by Lord Marshal

Wow, absolutely loved Epic in its various incarnations, if this is true I think I'll be bankrupt :biggrin::laugh:

Seriously though, the Heresy setting cries out for the scale of battles that you can do in 6-15mm scale, we've already got Titans and Aircraft, so doing tanks and infantry is an obvious extension to those. 

25 minutes ago, firestorm40k said:

Wow, absolutely loved Epic in its various incarnations, if this is true I think I'll be bankrupt :biggrin::laugh:

Seriously though, the Heresy setting cries out for the scale of battles that you can do in 6-15mm scale, we've already got Titans and Aircraft, so doing tanks and infantry is an obvious extension to those. 

That was my thoughts too. Plus entire companies of Tactical Troops rather than the awkward mish mashes of Battle Companies from modern day 40K. Just works better.

It won't stay HH forever. Like one of its predecessor Space Marine, it'll use the Troops and vehicles for each player initially.

Once we all have our Legions Troops, the Imperial Army gets something, maybe Chaos Cults and Daemons and then Adeptus Mechanicus... there will be an expansion of another faction likely Orks. Though themed after the HH, there's nothing to stop it being used against the HH armies as they share the same rules.

Same will happen with Eldar - they'll likely get a theme from the Crusade so one or more HH Legions can be seamlessly dropped in.

Then one day they'll do a big drop I reckon - Tyranids vs Leagues of Voltron. We'll see see it based much further after the HH hence 2 factions at once to not mess with the themes, but sharing similar rules.

My mind is racing with excitement!

Clearly GW doesnt want the money from my gaming group

We are not into HH cause most playes in my group dont have interest in imperium vs imperium only

Nobody wanted AT cause it was HH too

Nobody wanted AI cause it was a boardgame separated from AT

And now nobody would like Epic cause it will be HH only

GW must realize that there is people that dont want always and only Atsartes vs Astartes

HH Epic? No thanks

I'm interested to see what approach they take for the rules and it will be interesting to see how they bring in the existing Titan and Aeronautical models. Epic in my personal opinion is probably the best way to drive home the scale of the conflict.

I kind of hoped they would have gone for a later conflict though and brought in other races such as Eldar and Orks.

I do think though that 3D printing is going to take a huge chunk out of sales on this one. I could if so inclined easily print almost any space marine vehicle in epic scale for pennies currently as where GW dropped the Epic ball the fans picked it up and ran with it big time.

12 minutes ago, Master Sheol said:

Clearly GW doesnt want the money from my gaming group

We are not into HH cause most playes in my group dont have interest in imperium vs imperium only

Nobody wanted AT cause it was HH too

Nobody wanted AI cause it was a boardgame separated from AT

And now nobody would like Epic cause it will be HH only

GW must realize that there is people that dont want always and only Atsartes vs Astartes

HH Epic? No thanks

Seeing heresy as imperium vs imperium really generalises the depth of character the setting has. It may be largely marine vs marine but the narrative is brilliant and so fleshed out.

Epic has been on the cards with AI and AT. I'll be all over AT as and when they drop orks.

Epic though would have me in.

I would echo that Epic has the ability to display larger scale battles that are particularly suited to the HH setting - as was the basis of the first two Space Marine releases.

And now is a good time to capitalise on the nostalgia trip of those of us at a certain age, maybe build on anyone new who has entered with AoD.

Of course, I have rose-coloured lenses of simpler times. In my head, Epic has far simpler rules and mechanics than 40k and is easier to bring in a younger audience.

It makes sense why they would do HH first, GW only needs to invest in only one set of tooling for only one faction and you have an entire game good to go with an active and profitable market that already exists. The Horus Heresy was literally invented for the original AT because they printed only one set of sprues so they created a concept of a Imperial civil war to have the models make sense lore wise, followed up of course by the Space Marine expansion which stuck with the HH as well. 

What more than likely is going to happen is that they’re going to make Epic30k, releasing at first several kits for it to flesh it out. Eventually they’ll expand it into Epic40k when they start releasing Xenos and Chaos models. It just makes sense for them to do HH first.

If 30k isn’t your thing, cool. Chill out, take a breather, this isn’t for you. Epic40k is going to come eventually.

Edited by m0nolith

So we have come full circle again, a box game of tiny men with both sides using the same minis to keep costs down set in the Horus Heresy just like 1st ed Space Marine...

Im in. 

Get some Titans, lots of tanks. mmmmm nice. I wonder if later on we see actual Chaos Marines (Plague Marines, zerkers etc) alongside their less spiky Traitor Marine brothers. Oooooh I cant wait. 

Starting with HH echoes back to the original SpaceMarine game, hopefully once they get it going they will expand it out to include Xenos factions which would be interesting for me. A great game, looking forward to seeing it return. 

Epic has been bubbling away for years behind the scenes, its a case of when, not if.

Starting with 30k is fine to save on costs but they really need to avoid sniffing their own farts and sticking rigidly to it like they are doing with AT as its to the detriment of the game long term, give us Xeno titans FW you cowards! :D 

7 hours ago, 01RTB01 said:

Seeing heresy as imperium vs imperium really generalises the depth of character the setting has. It may be largely marine vs marine but the narrative is brilliant and so fleshed out.

Epic has been on the cards with AI and AT. I'll be all over AT as and when they drop orks.

Epic though would have me in.

HH was a Civil War insider the Imperium so basically there are 5 factions

Astartes, Custodes, SoS, AdMech, Imperial Army

You do Epic HH and in a couple of years you will be in AT situation where they realesed almost all titans and soon there will be no more room for development

Epic coming back would be .... well, i guess "EPIC" :laugh: ... Although I would love to see Xeno factions included for the Full experience :thumbsup:

If HH kick starts it then that's fine by me... I'll suffer through some epic HH to get to the good stuff !! 

Mithril 

I like the idea of Epic soooo much, but the whole HH thing is a little bit of a let down. Would have preferred 40k with Imperial, Chaos and Xenos factions rather than what will end up essentially being Legiones Astartes v. Legiones Astartes. 

Edited by Captain Smashy Pants

27 minutes ago, Captain Smashy Pants said:

I like the idea of Epic soooo much, but the whole HH thing is a little bit of a let down. Would have preferred 40k with Imperial, Chaos and Xenos factions rather than what will end up essentially being Legiones Astartes v. Legiones Astartes. 

Agreed, the lack of other factions is what stopped me getting into Adeptus Titanicus. Mirror matches are just less interesting to me,