16 minutes ago, sitnam said:

I get that, but I was responding to a post that mentioned bringing in Xenos relevant during the Great Crusade. If your gonna go so far to bring in Eldar and Orks, why not just go fully into the 40k setting instead

Just adding Eldar and Orks at first i guess would let them test the waters on whether or not Xenos factions would sell. But it is a valid question at that point of why not go full 40k.

That, i guess, is the downside of setting it in the Horus Heresy. It's less of an investment for GW, which they'd see as a positive, but there's also the risk then that they see the setting as an essential part of its success.

7 hours ago, sitnam said:

I get that, but I was responding to a post that mentioned bringing in Xenos relevant during the Great Crusade. If your gonna go so far to bring in Eldar and Orks, why not just go fully into the 40k setting instead

6 hours ago, Remain_Indoors said:

Just adding Eldar and Orks at first i guess would let them test the waters on whether or not Xenos factions would sell. But it is a valid question at that point of why not go full 40k.

That, i guess, is the downside of setting it in the Horus Heresy. It's less of an investment for GW, which they'd see as a positive, but there's also the risk then that they see the setting as an essential part of its success.

As it has been said multiple times above, when non-Marine/Imperial (i.e. Xenos) armies are brought out at Epic scale, they will make a new version of the game Epic 40k, which is how the game originally developed in the late 1980's - early 1990's.

I shouldn't get hung up on the fact that this first release will use the Heresy setting as meaning that any factions which are added will also have to be tied to that era :smile:

I loved epic the first time round.  I dont think I will get into it if it does come back.  Couple of reasons.....firstly I dont think there would be a sustained player base after the initial splash and excitement, and secondly, and perhaps the most significant reason is that I dont think GW will put enough effort into it following the first burst of hype..  Look at Titanicus......an excellent ruleset, some outstanding models, yet they havent expanded it beyond the HH era.  They havent expanded it to 40K, or to any of the alien races, despite significant interest on online forums and groups.  The only support they give it, is the occasional, and less and less frequent, release of a campaign book,  and the similarly rare weapon arms.

If GW does epic, I see it being at best, a 12 to 18month project they then ignore.  As much as I want it to be a thing and succeed, I just cant see it happening.

There will be a sustained player base for GW, I'll buy 100,000 copies of the game if I have to!

Epic has the most exhaustive and supported fan communities compared to many of the old dead games GW produced.

The funny thing is, not getting into a game because you don't think people will get into a game is self defeating. Adeptus Titanicus was never as popular as Epic was yet when GW released it, folks went mad for it. There's plenty of events and community driven support. Lots of purchases despite there being limited factions (i.e. no Xenos).

Having faith in the Emperor will see it rewarded.

The only problem AT has is that it’s “complete”. AT players are very happy with it and it doesn’t really need more releases - though they’d be nice. There are various names engine types that we haven’t seen yet but the game works extremely well as it is. 

When they release epic they’ll have a similar problem. At first people will be annoyed they don’t have all the units they want. When all those units have been released they’ll be annoyed there aren’t more releases. At least with Epic they could bring out more factions, perhaps including titans that could get rules in AT. 

1 hour ago, Interrogator Stobz said:

Have GW stated anything officially about it being Epic 40k or Epic 30k/HH yet?

@Marshal Reinhard is partially correct; there's been no official statement via WarCom or any official channel. However, tracking back to the last time it was mentioned during the pre-COVID Heresy seminars that it'd likely be 30k when they eventually re-visited it.

Correct, they mentioned when they announced AT, that if they work on Epic, they will place it in the HH and with the larger Scale of 8mm they can represend all Space Marine Armour Types visible and destinctive.

23 hours ago, Captain Idaho said:

There will be a sustained player base for GW, I'll buy 100,000 copies of the game if I have to!

Epic has the most exhaustive and supported fan communities compared to many of the old dead games GW produced.

The funny thing is, not getting into a game because you don't think people will get into a game is self defeating. Adeptus Titanicus was never as popular as Epic was yet when GW released it, folks went mad for it. There's plenty of events and community driven support. Lots of purchases despite there being limited factions (i.e. no Xenos).

Having faith in the Emperor will see it rewarded.

Will also buy every Boxes I can find!

I can’t wait for Epic, very excited for this but I can’t see it being so easy to just expand it to 40K. 30k marines use very little of the same armour or equipment designs as 40K first born nowadays, nevermind Primaris. So they’d have to redo the faction anyway, basically starting again. Don’t get me wrong though, I’d build an Epic Ork army in a heartbeat. 

They could easily announce a new box a couple of years (giving time to gauge reactions) which has new marines in vs orks. As long as they have solid core rules, it will be easy to slot different armies in.

On 4/3/2023 at 2:37 PM, Nephaston said:

It probably won't be epic, but it could be.

It's also good Friday, apparently. Has there been any kind of reveal on that day in the past?

Also, she tagged warcom so whatever it is will of course not be dropped by her on twitter, but on Warhammer Community.

As expected, nothing to do with epic but her departure from GW and setting up her own thing.

22 minutes ago, 01RTB01 said:

As expected, nothing to do with epic but her departure from GW and setting up her own thing.

Oh well. Bit weird that she would tag warhammer community on the post about how she's no longer associated with GW though.

On 4/6/2023 at 3:47 AM, Mandragola said:

The only problem AT has is that it’s “complete”. AT players are very happy with it and it doesn’t really need more releases - though they’d be nice. There are various names engine types that we haven’t seen yet but the game works extremely well as it is. 

But if they can release Epic as HH and then add in Xenos for a 40k Rerelease, they could do the same with AT.... Meaning it isn't complete at all and the kits they need to release for it a Xenos.

I far prefer the design of the old Epic version of the Tyranid Hierophant Biotitan to the modern Forgeworld spindle-legged, wavy-bodied version. It's actually a huge fear that if they did release a new Hierophant, whether for AT or Epic, it would be based on that awkward FW thing rather than a new version based on the original classic.

If they did this, they would bring a wave of players into the game which had only avoided it because their factions lacked representation... And that rapid influx of new players then provides the motivation to expand the existing range.

I guess my concern is GW would pull a 'battlefleet Gothic' and wreck the core game with badly thought out overpowered or otherwise unplayable factions if they brought some Xenos into AT, giving the Eldar some gimmick or making the Orks so tough you needed different weapons that a generalist list couldn't hope to fight both.

I hope they've learned, but we've seen that cycle so many times in sode games with a good core release.

My biggest concern is that GW is going to essentially destroy Titanicus in order to validate Epic armies being jammed into the existing game, much like they did the first time Epic was released. 

I do think that adding another element to the game like infantry could be interesting but at the same time it has to be treated much like an infantry army playing against Titans: they’re insignificant. I can see a Legion taking on a Knight House with some difficulty, much like a Household battling a Maniple, but if they handicap Legios to compensate for Legions they will ruin the game. Again.