1 hour ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

That's going to be what, $200 in USD? Ends up as like a 10% reduction over the sum of the kits, I think I'm just going to wait until the standalone releases.

Makes me think a Codex was supposed to be in it and they dropped the book, but kept the price. *This may be more accurate than I'd think - if I add in the cost for Codex + Datacards, it ends up pretty close to that 30-35% sweet spot they like on the discounts.

If it had Codex and Datacards on top of these contents it would have a better overall value than the Black Templars box which is otherwise a pretty good comparison on a lot of the contents (the commanders, infantry and dreadnoughts are directly comparable across both sets, but the Heavy Intercessors are a more expensive kit than the Emperor's Champion)

So Agastus has more model kit value (by £16) but less supplement & datacard value (by £30) so is about 10% worse objectively than the BT Army Set was, even assuming you want everything in it.

7 minutes ago, Halandaar said:

If it had Codex and Datacards on top of these contents it would have a better overall value than the Black Templars box which is otherwise a pretty good comparison on a lot of the contents (the commanders, infantry and dreadnoughts are directly comparable across both sets, but the Heavy Intercessors are a more expensive kit than the Emperor's Champion)

So Agastus has more model kit value (by £16) but less supplement & datacard value (by £30) so is about 10% worse objectively than the BT Army Set was, even assuming you want everything in it.

The other possibility is that they sell the Desolation squad in boxes of five, which inflates their price up a lot. That's the other thing that would make the calculations line up with what I'd expect.

It'd certainly be a poor move to sell them in fives, they'll already have trouble with their release, adding hefty price problems on top of it would make that worse.

27 minutes ago, Triszin said:

Suggests sarge can help "aim/target" things for the squad

Valrak spoiled the Sergeant's ability a while back:

Signum – In your shooting phase, each time this unit shoots, if it contains a Desolation Sergeant, you can select one model in this unit. Until the end of that phase, that model has a Ballistic Skill characteristic of 2+.

The stupid little FOD covers on launchers... They need to be either closed or removed and the hinges shaved off imho.

The superfrag don't seem worth it to me in an army overflowing with bolters (but I'm crap at judging rules, so I'm probably missing something obvious).

Edit: If I could just take them with the Castellan launcher only, I'd do that as the non-LoS ability is the main appeal for me. They would probably look better with just the rotary launcher as well.

Edited by Burni

For the Desolation squad, depending on the points cost they might be a decent unit- the superkrak rockets are analogous to lascannons (less S but better average damage), while the castellan launchers act as bolt rifles (with variable shots) so the unit has some anti-infantry fire to harass deepstrikers/flanking units. I can see a use for the unit, even though they look pretty derpy. I will definitely be cutting off the big rockets and putting them on the models' backpacks and just have the castellan launcher by itself with some targeting optics.

Edited by Lord_Ikka

1 hour ago, Lord Nord said:

And yes, the superkrak rockets are the big ones:

eqh8M3ExxEvhEXSb.jpg

This appears to be wrong. In other images the smaller ones are the super krak? Will have to wait to see the instructions I think...

From what I'm reading, it appears that the Vengor Launcher is optional. That's great, because I don't like the way it looks. I'll be much more interested in a single large unit, all armed with the same weapons.

Edit: Never mind, I've seen a second image that confirms the bigger ones are the Krak - that appears to be correct. That's a shame as I think the smaller ones can look better, but the profile on these weapons is impressive and is just what the Primaris infantry needs. Not to mention this unit doubles up as a better Whirlwind

Edited by Orange Knight

1 hour ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

The other possibility is that they sell the Desolation squad in boxes of five, which inflates their price up a lot. That's the other thing that would make the calculations line up with what I'd expect.

It'd certainly be a poor move to sell them in fives, they'll already have trouble with their release, adding hefty price problems on top of it would make that worse.

I'm somewhat inclined to think that they will be a 5-man squad, or at least a 5-10 choice like most Tacitus bodies. Heavy Intercessors set that precedent (as well as the DC Intercessors and Hounds of Morkai to a lesser extent). The options and molds seem a bit more material-intensive than the Hellblasters as well, who are probably the best current comparison. I could also see them being sold as a 5-man box as a way to artificially limit the amount of non-LOS shooting available to the army given the multiple nerfs barrage weapons have gotten this edition.

1 hour ago, Lord Nord said:

Valrak spoiled the Sergeant's ability a while back:

Signum – In your shooting phase, each time this unit shoots, if it contains a Desolation Sergeant, you can select one model in this unit. Until the end of that phase, that model has a Ballistic Skill characteristic of 2+.

To me, this seems like they're trying to subtly incentivize taking the Sergeant special weapon with this ability (which I know directly contradicts my above statement on non-LOS). In a traditional Devastator squad you're obviously going to buff someone other than the Sergeant since he only has a bolt weapon of some kind, but here it's more of a tradeoff. Do you buff one of your direct-fire squad members to try and push a bit more damage through, or buff yourself to try and spike through a blast shot on some unfortunate other enemy?

Now that we have a confirmation of the rules, the unit is pretty impressive compared to the old Devastator squad.

Unfortunately the unit will likely be paying for the weapons (the silly free upgrade idea across the range has thrown balance out, and will probably not apply to this unit) so it will not compare favourably until the next edition and the codex that drops as part of it.

2 hours ago, Redcomet said:

I also find it entertaining that Primaris marines can’t figure out to carry two kinds of missiles at the same time, something that has been normal for thousands of years. It is just comical 

I think this is just enough to tip the unit into "giving it miss" territory. The flexibility of classic missile launchers was their saving grace given their thoroughly mediocre stats. Unless these boys are a lot fewer points than I am expecting, I don't think I am going to bother.

I don't hate the design of the guns but I certainly don't love them either and the rules are pretty meh. These guys would have to be priced to move in terms of both cash and points before I would consider them. I certainly won't be splashing out on the box set just to get them early.

29 minutes ago, Triszin said:

I saw this get posted and it's almost my conversion I'll be doing.

The castellan "rifle" the the superfrag/krak on a right-hand side back mount looks fantastic imho.

image0.png

That backpack on bottom left solves my issues with it.

Just need optic helmets ala Devastator style.

"Vengor Launcher" has gotta be pretty far up there in the Silliest Primaris Name competition. Still not convinced these aren't a group of Ork Lootas with some MkX they nicked.

21 minutes ago, Legionary Pallas said:

"Vengor Launcher" has gotta be pretty far up there in the Silliest Primaris Name competition. Still not convinced these aren't a group of Ork Lootas with some MkX they nicked.

"Men, once we get into position, I am going to target the enemy with my Vengor Launcher... hey, who's that running away?"

"Sir, that was Vengor."

33 minutes ago, Legionary Pallas said:

Da Venga Boyz. 

Top rated battle songz 'Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom!!' and 'we're goin' to in-bitz ya'

I'm feeling the need for a kitbash...

Edited by Rusted Boltgun

Just now, Doghouse said:

I'd like a unit of them but purely for the challenge of converting.

That was my plan too, I still think there is mileage in a single rocket on top design maybe, but would need to see the kit, just personally unsure I can justify the expense for what they are