1 hour ago, Lord Nord said:

After all that, the funny thing is that the Lieutenant can't be built properly WYSIWYG with any of the Bolt Rifle variants as those loadouts would also mean he has a regular Bolt Pistol... but there is no proper Bolt Pistol bit, just an empty holster of the proper size for the Heavy Bolt Pistol or the Plasma Pistol.

I know it's the minorest of nitpicks and I really can't see anyone short of THAT GUY making an issue of it, but given that this kit was supposed to be the "one-stop shop" for Tacticus Lieutenants, it's weird to leave out the one weapon he's supposed to have alongside the Bolt Rifles.

Who doesn’t have a pistol holster bit ?

1 hour ago, Lord Nord said:

but given that this kit was supposed to be the "one-stop shop" for Tacticus Lieutenants, it's weird to leave out the one weapon he's supposed to have alongside the Bolt Rifles.

My brother in Imperator, we're talking about the same company that made the Mk6 marine kit with no way to model a bolt pistol on the sergeant.

Also, who the :cuss: has only rolled ones supercharging plasma that almost all the plasma pistols are modeled with a bionic arm?

5 minutes ago, Burni said:

So you only get a mix of the launcher FOD covers. Can’t do all open or all closed. Best you could do it try and convert the open ones to closed. 

That is expletive deleted, even if it's not going to affect my plans personally (I figured on having the Sergeant's half of the squad with closed launchers and the other half open - looks like the bits here will just allow me to do that with one open bit left over).

24 minutes ago, jaxom said:

Also, who has only rolled ones supercharging plasma that almost all the plasma pistols are modeled with a bionic arm?

That'll be me, its practically become a meme at this point. :wallbash:

Going back to the point that was made earlier, painting the main rocket launchers a different colour from the underslung castellan launcher does seem to improve the look of both. by breaking up the colours, it stops is looking like such a single, massive piece of hardware. Compare this BA Seargent to the UM one. I realise I won't change everyones' minds but I definitely think the paintscheme improves the look of the BA Desolator.

IGA8nYJmYvolsNL5.jpg

Desolation-Squad-3.png?fit=1000,1000&ssl

I think the only weapon that is too big is the Vengor Launcher. 

If the whole squad can take Krak, including the Sgt, then the unit will look better and I'll be more satisfied.

The Lieutenant looks really good. I think they could go ahead and retire the other generic kits. The variant with the Shield can be assembled perfectly from a Bladeguard Veterans kit.

Lastly, the Dread is fantastic. I like it more and more each time I see it. I think this probably beats the Leviathan in appearance. The wargear is great also.

I know it's not as optimal, but I prefer the Fists with bolters over the claws in terms of aesthetics and will assemble it as such...

The stubbers look a whole, whole lot better than those abominations that are the Castellan launchers.  Period.  Paint jobs do nothing to make them “look better”.  The sprues make it even more obvious that GW absolutely doesn’t want you to try converting these horrid green-lit atrocities, so it definitely looks like I’ll just be using leftover Marine missile launchers on Tacticus bodies and saving myself a bundle as well as having my guys look 3000% better than anything fielded with GW official Desolators.

At least I can thank GW for definitively saving me money for other things (like heads or other bits) by letting me solidly ignore any reason to purchase these bad decisions!

Edited by Bryan Blaire

I'm thinking that splitting the Icarusstubber in two, shortening the barrel length, and strapping it underneath the claws will make it much better visually. 

Edited by Lord_Ikka

Stubbers look a lot better than Storm Bolters on vehicles. The stubby, short range guns that lack accuracy make even less sense when mounted on top of vehicles.

I understand why people don't like having lots of guns on some vehicles, but the dislike for stubbers in particular isn't justified. 

38 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

I understand why people don't like having lots of guns on some vehicles, but the dislike for stubbers in particular isn't justified. 

My guess would be that it is because stubbers were portrayed for years as low-tech, almost menial weapons. Stubbers were the weapons of hive gangers, PDF forces, rebels/cults, and sometimes the Imperial Guard (mostly the heavy version). When the AdMech came out, it was unusual to see their use of  stubbers, but because they were secondary weapons and had the cognis title, it was pretty much glossed over as "these are better than plain old stubbers because they're AdMech'd up".

Then Primaris vehicles started using stubbers as pintle mounted weapons and the reaction was different because for years the only pintle mounted weapon for SM in a similar role was the classic stormbolter. Having Space Marines, arguably the most elite of the Imperium's standard forces, using such a low-tech weapon is close to demeaning. I still think it is a mis-read, and having a twin auto-bolter or something instead would serve just as well.

I like stubbers, but I think they look out of place on Astartes models. If you're adding another type of solid round to your ammo supply chain, why make it one that doesn't pierce armour and explode like the kind you're already using for everything else? If it's to conserve bolts, las would make a lot more sense. If not, there's an enormous arsenal of boltgun types now, one of those would surely do a better job.

41 minutes ago, Lord_Ikka said:

My guess would be that it is because stubbers were portrayed for years as low-tech, almost menial weapons. Stubbers were the weapons of hive gangers, PDF forces, rebels/cults, and sometimes the Imperial Guard (mostly the heavy version). When the AdMech came out, it was unusual to see their use of  stubbers, but because they were secondary weapons and had the cognis title, it was pretty much glossed over as "these are better than plain old stubbers because they're AdMech'd up".

Then Primaris vehicles started using stubbers as pintle mounted weapons and the reaction was different because for years the only pintle mounted weapon for SM in a similar role was the classic stormbolter. Having Space Marines, arguably the most elite of the Imperium's standard forces, using such a low-tech weapon is close to demeaning. I still think it is a mis-read, and having a twin auto-bolter or something instead would serve just as well.

I understand that, but the stubbers on the Marine vehicles aren't the regular variants.

They are more sophisticated versions with some unique traits.

Either way, from a visual perspective they look a lot better to me - based around light machine guns or similar anti-infantry weapons you might find above the turret of a tank.

21 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

I understand that, but the stubbers on the Marine vehicles aren't the regular variants.

They are more sophisticated versions with some unique traits.

Either way, from a visual perspective they look a lot better to me - based around light machine guns or similar anti-infantry weapons you might find above the turret of a tank.

Not disagreeing that they are different, just that the perception of stubbers being a lesser gun is there. I could personally care less- they look ok and for the most part just longer-ranged storm bolters in practice (giving out more S4 shots, though with a -1 AP and occasionally a bonus to Hit against Aircraft). As far as in-game, I'm fine with them, though with Primaris vehicles strapping 5+ or more weapons on each chassis having different S/AP profiles on stuff like your anti-infantry guns makes for some frustration because you're rolling for each gun rather than just being able to fast-roll all of them together. 

I do think this stubber on the Brutalis just looks off- it seems too big of a gun to be mounted where it is. I much prefer the Redepmtor's little rocket turret, it just looks more fitting to me.

35 minutes ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

Huh.... seeing them like this, I wonder if they won't do great as the basis for all kinds of kitbashing.

Agreed. Keeping the rifle as is on the sprue (a castellan launcher with targetter) and adding the krak / frag to the backpack would look perhaps even worse than it already does. 

9 hours ago, Orange Knight said:

The Lieutenant looks really good. I think they could go ahead and retire the other generic kits. The variant with the Shield can be assembled perfectly from a Bladeguard Veterans kit.

I hope they don't, while I already have all the Lieutenant's I need, If I was starting fresh I'd prefer to have the option between picking a pose, or selecting my own weapons.

Well this is certainly the most painless the GW site has ever acted on a preorder, not to mention that they had a 3 a piece limit on the box.

Then I remembered my other go-to site had better savings, lmao. Saved an additional 31 bucks. Anyway, I can already see this being skipped by most people, and for good reason.