Arks of Omen - Tarot Cards

1 hour ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

They pushed chaos back, things got better.

then the rift opened, things got worse.

now with the lion coming back things are likely to get better again for a little bit.

GW can’t constantly be writing new lore that just compounds the grim dark doom and gloom for the imperium without it eventually falling. At that point no ‘threat’ is actually a threat. At the same time they can’t let too much hope shine through for the imperium or their whole ‘grim dark’ tag line goes out the window, so they have a few brief moments of things getting better in this context that’s a few decades or even a couple centuries, then things have to get worse.

This is why Warhammer originally had to die as there's only so much that can be done with this. Especially when so much is established.

I'd like to see some genuinely interesting narrative develop for 10th because it feels like it's been stagnant for so long. 

With Wade in charge of fluff now we can hope!

21 minutes ago, 01RTB01 said:

This is why Warhammer originally had to die as there's only so much that can be done with this. Especially when so much is established.

I'd like to see some genuinely interesting narrative develop for 10th because it feels like it's been stagnant for so long. 

I’d prefer large time jumps, like 200+ years, fill it in with some minor medium and major events, then after 8-12 years another large time jump, and do the same.

i would prefer the setting be ‘static’ for a bit.

1 hour ago, 01RTB01 said:

How many planets exist in the setting?

How many regions?

If we are 'out of space' to tell stories, in 40K, and we need to forge a narrative....why?

The problem is the concept that we have to have these massive mega characters rampaging around on the table or 'nothing matters'.

Nothing matters is actually the point. How many stories could get spun out of Necromunda alone? Armageddon? Badab?

Time for me to go to bed methinks. :D

9 hours ago, Karhedron said:

The Imperium is supposed to have about a million worlds. New ones are being discovered or conquered while others fall to Chaos/Nids/etc.

Exactly. Then there are whole regions to be explored like the Ghoul Stars, or even the Eye, or whatever.

We dont need a meta narrative, its an actual detriment to the settings longevity.

Meta narrative is fine, they just need to remember that things are happening elsewhere. I'd love to see more campaign books like the ones FW used to make, where there's less focus on driving an overall plot and more on fleshing out and expanding the setting. What concerns me is the seasonal approach to everything - it means we get narrative in bursts, to a schedule, tied to cycles of tournament rules that obsolesce quickly. That narrative seems to hyperfocus on a given warzone and then when it moves on we might never hear about it again.

Edited by Urauloth

I actually feel that the current arrangement makes the galaxy feel bigger. Previously all the action centred around a handful of worlds like Cadia and Armageddon. Now we get a new focus system every 6 months with narratives covering other ones. Nachmund, Octarius, Pariah Nexus etc. It makes it feel like there are warzones all over the galaxy, some of which may get resolved, some of which may rumble on for years.

7 minutes ago, phandaal said:

These cards describe the events of each Arks of Omen book fairly closely. Will have to see how well that continues whenever the last book is revealed.

Why would that change with the last book? I've not seen anything to indicate that the cards aren't also giving an overview of the events of the book

Edited by TheVoidDragon

1 hour ago, TheVoidDragon said:

Why would that change with the last book? I've not seen anything to indicate that the cards aren't also giving an overview of the events of the book

I did not say it would. However, there does not have to be a "why." It is just a promotion that GW came up with, and if they want the last four cards to tie in to something more than just the last Arks book, they can make them tie in to something more.

12 minutes ago, phandaal said:

I did not say it would. However, there does not have to be a "why." It is just a promotion that GW came up with, and if they want the last four cards to tie in to something more than just the last Arks book, they can make them tie in to something more.

They've said that the Tarot Cards "accompany the unfolding events of the Arks of Omen". To change that at the last minute and give absolutely no indication of that would just be strange.

3 hours ago, TheVoidDragon said:

They've said that the Tarot Cards "accompany the unfolding events of the Arks of Omen". To change that at the last minute and give absolutely no indication of that would just be strange.

I am saying probably they will continue following the same pattern, and we will get confirmation of that whenever the next book drops. No more, no less. Try not to read too much into it.

Saw this when I was checking some numbers earlier:

Crusade p. 54

Referred to within the First Legion simply as the 'Gatekeeper' or the 'Key',.... One single record, hidden deep within the vaults of Terra, in the warded racks that maintain those tomes dedicated to the study of the psyarkane, gives this tool a name, one that bears a grim aspect. It calls it 'Tuchulcha, the Servant of the Deadly Seas.'. It names it 'Daemon.'

Yah, seems like Abaddon and Vashtorr want Tuchulcha, maybe to get around relying on the Warp for travel?

Tuchulcha and the other two (Ouroboros and Plagueheart) were assumed to be destroyed in the Warp rift above Caliban though, unless that changed somewhere...

5 minutes ago, Lord_Ikka said:

Tuchulcha and the other two (Ouroboros and Plagueheart) were assumed to be destroyed in the Warp rift above Caliban though, unless that changed somewhere...

I wouldn't be surprised of Thorpe's trilogy gets retconned for whatever they need to bring the Lion back in a way that hand waves why he didn't wake up the last three times the Rock was invaded by Chaos.

22 minutes ago, jaxom said:

I wouldn't be surprised of Thorpe's trilogy gets retconned for whatever they need to bring the Lion back in a way that hand waves why he didn't wake up the last three times the Rock was invaded by Chaos.

I suspect he may have awakened during Marbas' raid and slipped out, but we'll find out when AoO: The Lion comes out.

15 hours ago, jaxom said:

Would be nice if they retconned the Chalupa out of existence! Azrael's backwards-facing warp storm is reason #1 why Gav Thorpe needs an editor.