Siege of Cthonia

Mhmm 

37.50 is steep for what it is, very lacklustre for the first expansion of the new edition. 

I also still don't understand why a vehicle specific consul wasn't featured in a book about tallarn or the iron hands rather than this.

On the plus side I suppose this is a step closer to my legion's praetors getting released and maybe if I'm lucky a special character 

Edited by Mr Farson

1 hour ago, Petitioner's City said:

The lore? The art? The campaign?

I mean why are heresy books - and Imperial Armour before/alongside them - so treasured. Not the rules. It's the narrative that's the reason these books have value, really. 

Lol I don't even know where to start with that one.

As much as I enjoy the lore of the heresy and 40k (and I do, I read new 40k novels and reread old ones constantly), I can buy a novel and get the lore if I'm interested in the events (and wouldn't you know it, there's already a novel for the siege of cthonia).

Art is nice too, but unfortunately, the reality is that I don't need to shell out to get the art and enjoy it. There's some great spreads in Crusade, but GW gave out free copies of my favorite in multiple resolutions. So instead of cracking open a hardback and having it separated by two pages, I have a high resolution version of it as my PC wallpaper. 

Ultimately, I'm not buying a game's rules expansion for a primary reason other than the game's rules. They know that, that's why you can never buy a cheaper version of just the rules.

1 hour ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

So the Inductii are legion specific... Cool. Can't wait to see who gets chaff and who gets ungodly monsters. How long you all figure before the reviews go up?

Going to take a wild guess and say Imperial Fists will get the best ones, or at least top 3. SOH will be solid. World Eaters will get something that hits like regular assault marines but always get hit on a 3+ themselves to keep them “balanced.” Raven Guard may be forgotten about entirely. :tongue:

Last index entry (Inductii) is p.224 of 240 total. So what, fourteen full-page entries and four half-page ones? I'm actually quite eager to see what they do with eighteen versions of the same unit.

I do think it's weird that they've gone from the standard 'Legion X' naming formula to 'Legiones X' and 'Legiones Astartes X,' though.

Was holding out hope for a single mech unit/character, still cheaper then i feared, tho the direct only is a very questionable choice. Rather then a day 1 order, its going on the, if i get enough things together to hit free postage kinda list.

3 hours ago, Rain said:

Going to take a wild guess and say Imperial Fists will get the best ones, or at least top 3. SOH will be solid. World Eaters will get something that hits like regular assault marines but always get hit on a 3+ themselves to keep them “balanced.” Raven Guard may be forgotten about entirely. :tongue:

Fists get new recruits who weren't trained up properly so probably not the best ones lol Ultramarines should get good ones They had a rite of war that was all about inductii soldiers fighting alongside marines sort of like a proto tenth company. World Eaters will be obnoxious if they are the same basically even better at CC but a little worse at shooting like anyone cares about shooting who plays WE. lol

Edited by OttoVonAwesome

Shame it's direct only, went from a " I'm going to order that with the next batch of paints" to a "Meh, never mind that then" . The quality of the HH books I got so far hasn't been stellar, both rules wise aswell as the actual physical book. Certainly not worth the sticker price. We'll find the ZM rules in a another way (or adapt our own from the 1.0 rules).

Also, why did they have to make the inductii legion specific? With the blatant favoritism and bad balancing/rules writing they have shown so far they are just going to muck that one up. What might have been a fun addition to give some character to legions will probably end in certain legions being (more) broken untill an eventual faq hopefully adresses one or two of the issues that it caused. I get that every legion had different ways of creating the inductii so doing it that way adds flavor to every legion but that is in an ideal world with competent rules writers, which they have clearly shown not to be. 

I just cannot understand why they would make it direct only, I guess all that means is that I won't bother to try to order anything today and just wait until Dark Sphere can order it in a few weeks time. Providing it doesn't disapear for months like the jetbikes.

7 hours ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

As much as I enjoy the lore of the heresy and 40k (and I do, I read new 40k novels and reread old ones constantly), I can buy a novel and get the lore if I'm interested in the events (and wouldn't you know it, there's already a novel for the siege of cthonia).

Art is nice too, but unfortunately, the reality is that I don't need to shell out to get the art and enjoy it. There's some great spreads in Crusade, but GW gave out free copies of my favorite in multiple resolutions. So instead of cracking open a hardback and having it separated by two pages, I have a high resolution version of it as my PC wallpaper. 

There already was a "novel" for istvaan iii, major parts of the the dropsite massacre had been covered in very well regarded novels, a novella covered Corax as a guerilla following the massacre, there was a novel for calth, there were two novels addressing prospero, several shorts and a novel for chogoris, and a novel for signis prime - all in print when each of their respective black books launched. The same with Molech for AT, for example, or the Ultramar book too.

(To be painfully pedantic Cthonia's Reckoning isn't a novel, but an anthology).

That didn't stop the black books being fundamentally interesting as lore books, nor take away their value by presenting something we had seen elsewhere. It doesn't stop the content of this book from having tremendous value due to Cthonia's Reckoning already existing - and that's what I was objecting to, that the hundred pages about the campaign seemed to have no value for you.

Art for me is also more than just the spreads, it's the bas-de-page, the little fluff texts, and so on. But I really love them - especially having them in hand (I spent years of my life studying historic manuscripts and print books) fine if you don't care for these bits :) 

Edited by Petitioner's City

Goonhammer review is up as well.

Inductii aren't an individual unit, but rather a template you apply to a pre-existing unit (specifically Tactical Squads or Despoilers). This template modifies unit composition, characteristics, wargear, sub-types and special rules. They cannot be joined by other models, can't have artificer armour and they are Support Squads, preventing them from being your compulsory troops choice.

As an example; Dark Angels Inductii Tactical Squads lose Hexagrammaton but swap their Bolters for Volkite Chargers for free. World Eaters Despoilers lose Heart of the Legion and become Ravening Madmen, etc.

3 minutes ago, Mr Farson said:

As much as I detest man reads book style videos I went looking for one.

There's zilch, looks like gw sent out the minimum of review copies

I'm sure some will get put up at some point. SN mentioned they will be uploading one.

From the couple of non-spoilery reviews posted above, it sounds like a decent addition. Half the book being lore/background is cool. Excited to see the Inductii breakdown. 

58 minutes ago, Joe said:

I mean, they sent them out to all the usual suspects; they just didn't produce any this week.

Take it up with them lol.

It’s also only being out of embargo for about two and half hours. And was sent out the same week as a huge Kill Team box lol

Goonhammer review looks promising, the sprues and brews one feels like a puff piece! (They do love the exclamation point lol).

They usually get review copies a fair way ahead, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them as the embargo drops when you can schedule pages/videos going public.

1 minute ago, Noserenda said:

Goonhammer review looks promising, the sprues and brews one feels like a puff piece! (They do love the exclamation point lol).

They usually get review copies a fair way ahead, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them as the embargo drops when you can schedule pages/videos going public.

According to the writer, they (GH) were asked not to reveal too much about certain aspects (inductii) and focus on others; there will be a marketing push this week on whc. Sprews have also stopped doing full videos for all books (there wasn't one for The Lion for example) - speculation now, it may be marketing was unhappy with how the full videos were taking away the mystery.