Siege of Cthonia

Honestly, everyone doing a very brief summary of the inductii and no plot details is a little infuriating, I don't care about the marketing departments plans, I want to make an informed purchase choice! :)

Though thinking about it, I'm actually kinda glad they kept the rules focused, so each force only needs two books rather than a little bit in several 

5 hours ago, Petitioner's City said:

There already was a "novel" for istvaan iii, major parts of the the dropsite massacre had been covered in very well regarded novels, a novella covered Corax as a guerilla following the massacre, there was a novel for calth, there were two novels addressing prospero, several shorts and a novel for chogoris, and a novel for signis prime - all in print when each of their respective black books launched. The same with Molech for AT, for example, or the Ultramar book too.

(To be painfully pedantic Cthonia's Reckoning isn't a novel, but an anthology).

That didn't stop the black books being fundamentally interesting as lore books, nor take away their value by presenting something we had seen elsewhere. It doesn't stop the content of this book from having tremendous value due to Cthonia's Reckoning already existing - and that's what I was objecting to, that the hundred pages about the campaign seemed to have no value for you.

Art for me is also more than just the spreads, it's the bas-de-page, the little fluff texts, and so on. But I really love them - especially having them in hand (I spent years of my life studying historic manuscripts and print books) fine if you don't care for these bits :) 

It made them less interesting to me, especially when they contradicted with the novels like in Malevolence and Crusade; the lore was actually a detriment instead of a bonus on those cases.

Disagreement about value aside, those reviews were pretty unhelpful. The goonhammer one skims anything that can be generically used for all legions; we knew the new core missions had progressive scoring already and 4 turns from preview GW did, thanks for confirming that they all do I guess? Same with the decurion, though at least we know those effects were separated across every unit entry instead of being a lootbag of bonuses. Looks like they're saving both decurions and inductii for later articles, lucky us.

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

27 minutes ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

Disagreement about value aside, those reviews were pretty unhelpful. The goonhammer one skims anything that can be generically used for all legions; we knew the new core missions had progressive scoring already and 4 turns from preview GW did, thanks for confirming that they all do I guess? Same with the decurion, though at least we know those effects were separated across every unit entry instead of being a lootbag of bonuses. Looks like they're saving both decurions and inductii for later articles, lucky us.

I agree, just made for clicks, stretching content.

4 hours ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

It made them less interesting to me, especially when they contradicted with the novels like in Malevolence and Crusade; the lore was actually a detriment instead of a bonus on those cases.

Watch...  There will be 2 articles this week, one on decurions and one on Inductii and NEITHER will tell us anything we don't already know except for one sentence i each article...  probably about IF or SoH....

Lupe from Goonhammer says no restrictions on their coverage and shared most if not all the Inductii on Discord, but then it seems someone came along and deleted all their messages :/ From reactions of other posters they seem good except Iron Warriors though? Which seems on theme.

41 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

Lupe from Goonhammer says no restrictions on their coverage and shared most if not all the Inductii on Discord, but then it seems someone came along and deleted all their messages :/ From reactions of other posters they seem good except Iron Warriors though? Which seems on theme.

Owner of the Discord deleted them to not getting problems with GW.

But there will be two Goonhammer articles this week covering Decurions and Inductii.

42 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

Iw got ignore the effects of pinning in exchange for having to always shoot the nearest unit. They also lose heart of the Legion

Absolute dross and worse than a standard tac squad 

Ravenguard appear to have the worst unit. Instead of being pinned they fall back instead but can't leave the table.  

16 hours ago, Rain said:

Going to take a wild guess and say Imperial Fists will get the best ones, or at least top 3. SOH will be solid. World Eaters will get something that hits like regular assault marines but always get hit on a 3+ themselves to keep them “balanced.” Raven Guard may be forgotten about entirely. :tongue:

It aged very well

Blood Angels losing Spite gonna make it alot harder to actually trigger the bonus Fear 1 for routing a unit... Not sure I wanna make that trade.

On 5/20/2023 at 9:15 PM, DesuVult said:

Iron Warrior one is so bad it is hard to believe.

Ignoring pinning is better than you think. 

9 minutes ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

To be fair though most of them are kind of competitively pointless being support squads instead of line.

They are still line from what ive read theyre just not available as compulsory troops selections.

I quite like the flavour of these rules, but some of the units sound more like bespoke veterans rather than the latest, greenest and worst trained recruits...

Edited by Allart01

55 minutes ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

Ignoring pinning is better than you think. 

It's absolutely worthless on tacticals, pinning is alway used on higher priority targets.

Add in the wargear restriction on the unit combined with the loss of heart of the Legion and the requirement to target the nearest enemy unit. You end up with a unit that's going to run away a lot that can easily be kited by a clever opponent putting something the Squad can't harm nearby. It's an absolute downgrade compared to a standard Tactical Squad. 

12 minutes ago, Slips said:

They are still line from what ive read theyre just not available as compulsory troops selections.

That's good. I do think these guys are more for like large games where you've already spent your good slots and you still have to wiegh them against special weapons support squads. They do all seem fun to use though well most of them. Ravenguard retreating from pinning seems to defeat the purpose of being immune to it and Alpha Legion well... Do you really want to target tactical guys on turn 1? That one is only good if they are the only thing that can be targeted.

There are a few I find tactically interesting though, Dark Angels clear winner just a better Volkite support squad, Space Wolves chain axes shields and hail mary charges that could be really useful and they keep spite from whats written here, Word Bearers mini possessed that keep spite pretty good to me, and finally Sons of Horus could make a really good bodyguard especially if your facing Brutal weapons bodies beats elite profiles.