Oh wow, seems I actually called it lol.

Anyway, bit disappointing we didn’t get a DA specific equivalent ala the Ultramarine axe wielding guards that come with Calgar, but I knew it’d be something along the lines of the Bladeguard. I even purchased a box of Bladeguard specifically in anticipation of that fact to help bulk up the unit’s numbers, now it seems they’re so close in equivalence to be the same damn thing!

I think I may use either the HH companions shields or the Deathwing Knights ones to snazz them up though, and honestly? I’m gonna paint them black too to match the Lion with the idea their numbers are drawn from all the Unforgiven 1st Coy successors who leave their old armour behind for a time and take up the Legion Heraldry once more as his Life Guards, Deathwatch style. GW can’t stop me!

Bummer,

If they did like Marneus Calgar, they could put 2 new deathwing model, nicely DA ornated and this box would be stellar.

Otherwise just give us the Lion like it is and be done with it.

Call it Lion's Guard and then you get this... a bit underwhelming.

And maybe in the future they will give us new da models, after? It's even worse :biggrin:.

:ph34r: I will still buy the heck of it, don't get me wrong. :ph34r:

Even a BGV upgrade sprue with DA-specific shields and helmets would have been enough, IMO

That said I'll still get it because I want the Lion, wanted a few more Bladeguard anyway and this box should offer a saving against getting those things seperately.

1 hour ago, Alby the Slayer said:

:ph34r: I will still buy the heck of it, don't get me wrong. :ph34r:

Please don't take it personal, but I feel that this is the right time and place to stress that this kind of sentiment is what allows GW to pump up the prices and be what it is today. People often note that a box is underwhelming but express their intention to buy it anyway, often because of hype. Then they actually buy the kit (say, containing 1 model they want and 3 other 'tax' models) which gives GW the 'wrong' kind of feedback and encourages the company to proceed with their release and sales model. Tucking models away in bundles/boxes (without offering significant discounts), inflating prices, pushing unsold models and creating artificial scarcity, thus, fuelling FOMO-based purchases - that's not really fun or fair. But we, as hobbyists, continue to live in this abusive relationship because we, as a whole, choose not to vote with our wallets.

However, clearly I'm in the minority in perceiving GW as a rather anti-consumer enterprise.

Yeah this is certainly disappointing, but I’m definitely not calling it as the nail in the coffin for a Dark Angels BT level release. That would always have come with a codex rather than a campaign book. If Templars got a proper Primaris release, Dark Angels, Blood Angels and Space Wolves are basically inevitable. 

This set works for me - I have somehow not got any bladeguard so far but have wanted some for a while.

I'd have been happier with new terminators. To be honest I'm more surprised it isnt yet more intercessors :teehee:

I expect that FOMO style sales/limited number of boxes and whether I have budget at the time of this will be the real issue here for me. I can/will plan to save for it but life may well intervene too.

In terms of keeping funds available:

Guilliman is £42.50 as a benchmark for the Lion so  I'd expect at least £45, probably £50

Bladeguard £35

So £85-90 seems sensible and if it is cheaper or I can get this elsewhere with a discount I'll be pleasantly surprised. This will likely be my hobby budget for some time however this may also be the kick I need to do something with some of the Marines side of my pile of shame.

Just now, lhg033 said:

This set works for me - I have somehow not got any bladeguard so far but have wanted some for a while.

I'd have been happier with new terminators. To be honest I'm more surprised it isnt yet more intercessors :teehee:

I expect that FOMO style sales/limited number of boxes and whether I have budget at the time of this will be the real issue here for me. I can/will plan to save for it but life may well intervene too.

Guilliman is £42.50 as a benchmark for the Lion so  I'd expect at least £45, probably £50

Bladeguard £35

So £85-90 seems sensible and if it is cheaper or I can get this elsewhere with a discount I'll be pleasantly surprised. This will likely be my hobby budget for some time however this may also be the kick I need to do something with some of the Marines side of my pile of shame.

I was thinking more towards £70-75 myself but I can see your estimate being closer.

Just imagine: 
- people are annoyed about the Lion getting locked in a box with 3 "guard" models
- people are even more annoyed that these guard models are basic vanilla Bladeguard

- people are also annoyed about the Primborn Terminators being possibly a 3-man unit

If only somebody thought to put a 3-man Primborn TDA guard unit into the Lion box, even with or without DA upgrades of any kind, all of the above would have been resolved and GW could sell the box at solid premium. New unit! A primarch model! KA-CHING.

But no, boring vanilla Bladeguard is what we got. Sheesh.

8 hours ago, Mike8404 said:

DC have always been basic.  They have always been special Assault Marines with a bolter.  No where near VGV,  your point is moot anyway.

Templars on the other hand had a full refresh and HQ's with loads unique to them.  It's not even up for discussion, DA should have had an update like that.

Lol, no.

death company has a unique kit since 2nd edition at least (I saved up as a wee lad to buy it), they have had unique kit updates in 3rd and 5th too (the current plastic unit).

their weapon load outs allow them to take an entire squad of thunder hammers and inferno pistols, with or without jump packs, or they can take bolters or other melee weapon combinations, they have access to both hand flamers and plasma pistols.

so no, they aren’t (or weren’t till the DC intercessors) generic with basic load outs from either the model or loadout perspective

I will admit... I was expecting something along the lines of 2 other DA updated chars that have been working to help their beloved primarch from the shadows ... maybe a big surprise like updated loyalist Cypher and redeemed Luther! + a new named watcher.

This box is quite anemic in terms of excitement, don't get me wrong the bladeguard sculpts are great but i've already got enough and feel these being thrown in there is just to bump up the price and create a bit of savings FOMO. You know you could buy the box and think, i'l get him cheaper this way since I can sell the bladeguard, which is true when it comes to single sprue/unit GW pricing standard.

1 hour ago, lhg033 said:

Bladeguard £35

So £85-90 seems sensible and if it is cheaper or I can get this elsewhere with a discount I'll be pleasantly surprised. T

The £42.50 price for Guilliman (and Abaddon) is what it was raised to this month, not his original price, so it makes sense for The Lion to be the same price as those two when he releases on his own, much like the three traitor Primarchs are at the same price point despite being released years apart from each other. 

Using that as a basis gives a "full price" of £77.50, and boxes like this are always at a discount vs buying the kits separately (that's the whole incentive for you to buy them rather than wait for the standalone releases), so it will be less than that amount, not more. IMO £60-£65.

1 hour ago, Brother Christopher said:

Please don't take it personal, but I feel that this is the right time and place to stress that this kind of sentiment is what allows GW to pump up the prices and be what it is today. People often note that a box is underwhelming but express their intention to buy it anyway, often because of hype. Then they actually buy the kit (say, containing 1 model they want and 3 other 'tax' models) which gives GW the 'wrong' kind of feedback and encourages the company to proceed with their release and sales model. Tucking models away in bundles/boxes (without offering significant discounts), inflating prices, pushing unsold models and creating artificial scarcity, thus, fuelling FOMO-based purchases - that's not really fun or fair. But we, as hobbyists, continue to live in this abusive relationship because we, as a whole, choose not to vote with our wallets.

However, clearly I'm in the minority in perceiving GW as a rather anti-consumer enterprise.

Absolutely people who buy this despite not wanting Bladeguard just so they can get the Lion early are contributing to a wider problem, but you're glossing over the fact that for people like myself who actually do want both kits, this is going to be the best value way to buy them because the price will be better for the bundle than it is for the two standalone kits, and I strongly doubt that I'm alone in that sentiment. Waiting to buy the Lion on his own because "new models in bundles is bad", in my specific case, represents me giving GW more money than I have to for the same thing. Which is stupid.

The whole sentiment that new models being "hidden" in bundles or battleboxes is inherently bad is flawed, because every player will have their own view on that based on what kits they want for their collections. Look at the recent Ork and Tau boarding patrols; two boxes in the same format with new models in. For me personally, one wasn't useful to me overall and one was a perfect complement to my existing models. So even for one single hobbyist there were two very similar products where one was "good" and one was "bad" based purely on my subjective view. So "new kits in bundles are bad and buying them encourages GW to be bad" is not a one-size-fits-all statement.

Obviously the whole issue could be easily settled by releasing the kits in a bundle and as a standalone package at the same time, and if it were down to me that's what would happen.

19 minutes ago, Blindhamster said:

Lol, no.

death company has a unique kit since 2nd edition at least (I saved up as a wee lad to buy it), they have had unique kit updates in 3rd and 5th too (the current plastic unit).

I think DC could be represented by making an extensive upgrade sprue for Intercessors (of either variety), but if GW doesn't go this route they should definitely release a unique kit.

I'm sure that the Dark Angels will receive some unique models in the future, but perhaps no updates to their unique Terminators. Those kits are nice, and now that Terminators can simply be Primaris or not, the kit might not receive an update - it's definitely not an old kit.

1 hour ago, Kastor Krieg said:

Just imagine: 
- people are annoyed about the Lion getting locked in a box with 3 "guard" models
- people are even more annoyed that these guard models are basic vanilla Bladeguard

- people are also annoyed about the Primborn Terminators being possibly a 3-man unit

If only somebody thought to put a 3-man Primborn TDA guard unit into the Lion box, even with or without DA upgrades of any kind, all of the above would have been resolved and GW could sell the box at solid premium. New unit! A primarch model! KA-CHING.

But no, boring vanilla Bladeguard is what we got. Sheesh.

If the box had contained the new terminators i would personally have been responsible for flooding ebay with Johnssons

1 hour ago, Halandaar said:

The £42.50 price for Guilliman (and Abaddon) is what it was raised to this month, not his original price, so it makes sense for The Lion to be the same price as those two when he releases on his own, much like the three traitor Primarchs are at the same price point despite being released years apart from each other. 

Using that as a basis gives a "full price" of £77.50, and boxes like this are always at a discount vs buying the kits separately (that's the whole incentive for you to buy them rather than wait for the standalone releases), so it will be less than that amount, not more. IMO £60-£65.

I did start with £77.50 and compared how the daemon Primarchs had been priced too. :biggrin:
I do hope you are right! I'd love for it to be the cheaper side of this/have an actual discount but the pessimist in me says to plan for the worst; price hike and no discount and having to buy at RRP as resellers wont have enough copies.

1 hour ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

.......flooding ebay with Johnssons

for some reason this is said in my head in the voice of Leslie Neilson