43 minutes ago, burningsky25 said:

1. What else will there be to fill that niche, if anything - or will long range weapons be the only common solution to anti-tank/anti-monster as it appears to be so far.  Especially as far as it goes for infantry heavy forces which suddenly lost some of the premier anti-vehicle weapons in both melta and TH.   As Blood Angels I'm slightly concerned, though at the same time I do like the idea of requiring a more truly mixed-force army.  Mostly I'm uncertain how melee infantry into Tyranid monster mash is going to look now, as I play that fairly often.

Most of the high strength weapons we have seen so far are vehicle mounted. That suggests GW want players to take tanks to counter enemy tanks (or their equivalents). Infantry-portable anti-tank weapons look like they will need to be taken in quantity to effective alone. Things like Melta will be wounding anything heavier than a Rhino on a 5+. Big squads of Eradicators combined with OOM will do decently well for Marines but it remains to be seen what options will exist for other factions. I think you are right that mixed forces will become more common.

Edited by Karhedron
typo

1 hour ago, burningsky25 said:

2. What else will there be in the now largely vacated Toughness values? Specifically, T7&8.  Basically every monster/vehicle had one of those two in 9th, but now we can safely assume basically anything in that range is T9+, as they should be given the new spectrum.  Will heavy infantry get significantly inflated Toughness? More 'light' monstrous creatures? Bikes? Because there's been very little indication as to what will exist in that range, and for game health and meaningful weapon selection I'm pretty sure you want a fairly reasonable distribution along the Toughness spectrum.  What units that we haven't seen so far could we safely assume to be placed here in 10th?

The warsuits probably. Paragons, sentinels, land speeders.

Yeah, light vehicles seem like the likely bet; though I thought we had seen the new stormspeeders somewhere already, and they were T9/10? Maybe I'm just imagining that.  They're admittedly on the large side, but I would hope they'd be reflective of lower toughness on light vehicles.  Too bad we didn't get to see where any of the Necron vehicles landed.

4 hours ago, Karhedron said:

Most of the high strength weapons we have seen so far are vehicle mounted. That suggests GW want players to take tanks to counter enemy tanks (or their equivalents). Infantry-portable anti-tank weapons look like they will need to be taken in quantity to effective alone. Things like Melta will be wounding anything heavier than a Rhino on a 5+. Big squads of Eradicators combined with OOM will do decently well for Marines but it remains to be seen what options will exist for other factions. I think you are right that mixed forces will become more common.

My take away is more that GW indeed wanted to rollback lethality significantly. Shifting to where, with the obvious exception of OoM, you can't reliably burst something in a turn. I like that, some things aren't intended to be killed quickly but need to be chipped away at.

I think balance will work out fine provided vehicles aren't too cheap..

Doesn't matter how durable your tank is if you can't shift that battleline block leveraging its datasheet buffs for being near an objective.

Certainly the intent is to bring back tanks and transports in a meaningful way, so that does imply mass infantry AT and/or your own tank destroyers will be needed given what we've seen so far. I might finally paint that FW sicaran venator for my Blood Angels! I'm already trying to remember where I put that pack of multimeltas for a devastator drop pod squad...

Infantry are still going to be needed to take and hold objectives though, so as long as vehicle anti-infantry weapons don't get too overpowered/cheap we hopefully won't see a return to the artillery gunline 'leafblower' style lists but true combined arms lists. I'm honestly quite excited about as it should make a much wider range of units and lists useful - IF GW have managed to balance it all, which remains to be seen!

Edited by Arkhanist