Faction Focus: Astra Militarum

So you could potentially roll up with squads of 26 guardsmen (20 guard, 5 command squad members + 1 Commisar). Sounds like it could be fun, at least for casual games. 

Glad to see orders staying without much difference. 

image.png.c30ebde9f4f162facf321aaf12aed246.png

Oh boy, can’t wait! ;)

They're looking pretty good. Battle cannons are brutal. And similar to havoc autocannons (will have to look back and see if there’s any difference), autocannons look pretty slick. Thanks to HH all my heavy weapon teams have autocannons, and enough of them firing will certainly do some work.

20-man squads again. Nice.

Please ogryns be *really good* this time around…

Edited by Khornestar

I see the bottom of the article is messed up again so we can't see who is up tomorrow exactly.

I can't judge these too much as I've not looked at the current dex. Though things look okay to me. No doubt my son will fret when he sees the improved stats on the tanks as his friend plays them.

9 minutes ago, ZeroWolf said:

I see the bottom of the article is messed up again so we can't see who is up tomorrow exactly.

From the Sunday preorder preview:

Our series of #New40k Faction Focus articles continues with in-depth explorations of the Astra Militarum, Chaos Daemons, and more every weekday

So should be Chaos daemons tomorrow

2 minutes ago, CCE1981 said:

Plasmaguns are largely unchanged.  Just uncharged plasma is AP -2, charged plasma is the same.  

Yeah, not a super impressive weapon based on the previews so far. Overcharging it can still kill an astartes in one shot, but won’t strip their save away fully. I guess let’s see how things shake out when all is known, but I think I’d rather keep them all with lasguns and let tanks etc. do the heavy lifting.

6 minutes ago, Khornestar said:

Yeah, not a super impressive weapon based on the previews so far. Overcharging it can still kill an astartes in one shot, but won’t strip their save away fully. I guess let’s see how things shake out when all is known, but I think I’d rather keep them all with lasguns and let tanks etc. do the heavy lifting.

When the T stretched to 3-14 range, plasma staying at S7/8 looks a bit awkward. Possibly Leman Russ excecutioner become a victim, too.

Interesting choice to have the option to double up squads effectively. I also notice it isn't "add up to", it's just options for the 10 and 20 variant though this is guard and armies like marines may get some more granular options. Very least people can't just take 19 to duck a blast bracket.

Edit:

Nevermind...but I swear I saw them post an image of the land raider's profile where the twin heavy bolters didn't have twin-linked...I swear they did at some point...I ain't crazy am I?

Edited by chapter master 454

35 minutes ago, Tokugawa said:

Leman battlecannon hit on 4+ so no more turret weapon rules. 

Normal lascannon is confirmed S12 dmg d6+1, and autocannon is possibly S9 AP-1 dmg3.

Turret weapon is probably obsolete, if Take Aim can go on them as well now. So +1 to hit on all your guns, not just the big one. Also, some of the will likely have Heavy, so +1 to hit when stationary.

Orders are a bit basic compared with what we have now, but it's an Index, so that was to be expected. Bit underwhelmed by only AP-1 on the Battlecannon

Edited by sairence

5 minutes ago, chapter master 454 said:

Interesting choice to have the option to double up squads effectively. I also notice it isn't "add up to", it's just options for the 10 and 20 variant though this is guard and armies like marines may get some more granular options. Very least people can't just take 19 to duck a blast bracket.

Edit:

also...the baneblade heavy bolters get twin-linked but the land raider ones didn't...that isn't consistent and that will be annoying. Hope then that's an error.

Both have twin-linked Heavy Bolters.

W76tmLd5Cw8qnubX.jpg

11 minutes ago, chapter master 454 said:

Edit:

also...the baneblade heavy bolters get twin-linked but the land raider ones didn't...that isn't consistent and that will be annoying. Hope then that's an error.

The baneblade doesn't have a twin heavy bolter, but two twin heavy bolters. So it gets a twin heavy bolter with more shots than a single, but twin linked as there's two of them.

Edit: Ah nevermind, someone has better information with the land raider profile.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

I think Plasma Guns have those stats to keep them as anti-heavy infantry with maybe a little use into light vehicles or monsters without them casually popping Terminators.  

I think as a ‘small’ squad weapon that’s a decent place.

That being said, Grenade Launchers look to be pretty flexible against light or heavy infantry.

Looks like VOX casters can now generate CP as opposed to increasing the range of orders when used with the Master Vox. 

I still think they are an auto include (if free), however, ATM I think the extended range for orders when combined with the Master VOX was more useful. 

Not sure what to think about the orders TBH, I like the simplicity but feel they lack something.  Cannot see anywhere that squads can relay orders either. 

49 minutes ago, Tokugawa said:

Reinforcements! stratagem could "revive" a full sentinel UNIT. Whoa. 

Demolisher cannon get D6+3 attacks, would it make it the best choice for Leman Russ turret option? 

Do the SENTINEL units have the REGIMENT keyword? I haven't seen that yet...

---

By the way, any bets on what TOWERING and TITANIC means?