Faction Focus: Astra Militarum

12 minutes ago, Bradeh said:

GW is really hammering the 'build what's in the box', that's why I assume you have to take two sergeants. Really trying to idiot proof even for hobby balance. 

and you have the Born Soldiers Detachment rule, which confers Lethal Hits on ranged attacks made by units that Remained Stationary.”

You're right, i completely missed that.

On a stationary squad it seems less oppressive though.

19 hours ago, Bouargh said:

I am probably a little bit thick, but I am not sure I understand the "Schok Troops" Rule.

Does it means that any Objective under control at the end of IG command phase remains under control even if the Shock troop unit as been wipped out completly, providing no enemy unit has been able to seize the objetive before end of the turn?

Is it that what should be understood?

It means you don’t have to keep the unit on the objective. You control it until the opponent takes it with a unit.

same as marine sticky objectives.

19 hours ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

It says in Unit Composition, 'This unit can have up to two Leader units attached to it, provided no more than one of those units is a Command Squad unit.' So I think they can by that statement.

Missed that.

that seems really stupid

6 minutes ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Missed that.

that seems really stupid

Eh, it's easy to think of one as the corporal/Second Fire Team Leader and just have them share a model name for clarity purposes. This makes it easier to switch from 10-man to 20-man units while still being WYSIWYG, which is a good thing in my book. Although changing the naming convention from Sergeant to NCO would probably be the best of both worlds.

Edited by Squark

4 minutes ago, Squark said:

Eh, it's easy to think of one as the corporal/Second Fire Team Leader and just have them share a model name for clarity purposes. This makes it easier to switch from 10-man to 20-man units while still being WYSIWYG, which is a good thing in my book. Although changing the naming convention from Sergeant to NCO would probably be the best of both worlds.

I mean you’re not wrong about that, but still seems silly.

jesus though a 20 man unit with 6 chainsword attacks could be fairly dangerous in melee.

RE: Born Soldiers

As James from the Warhammer Design Studio told us, “with the Combined Regiment Detachment, we wanted to evoke an Astra Militarum force drawing on all of its human courage to stand firm against the foe. Picture Guardsmen and tanks hunkering down to blast the oncoming enemy, and you have the Born Soldiers Detachment rule, which confers Lethal Hits on ranged attacks made by units that Remained Stationary.”

14 minutes ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Missed that.

that seems really stupid

I think it's how the Design Team decided to keep Command Squads and Officers safe in an army that relies on them. Chewing through 20+ guys to get the one giving Orders, etc. I think it also introduces some interesting list building options. Assuming the double squad is part of all the basic squad types (and they're also all battle line), an Astra Militarum list could theoretically have 480+ infantry bodies.

7 minutes ago, jaxom said:

As James from the Warhammer Design Studio told us, “with the Combined Regiment Detachment, we wanted to evoke an Astra Militarum force drawing on all of its human courage to stand firm against the foe. Picture Guardsmen and tanks hunkering down to blast the oncoming enemy, and you have the Born Soldiers Detachment rule, which confers Lethal Hits on ranged attacks made by units that Remained Stationary.”

So the Index Astra Militarum get Born Soldiers as their detachment rule.
Assumedly then later Codex Detachments will have something else, hopefully something that's worth looking at next to Born Soldiers.

37 minutes ago, Indy Techwisp said:

So the Index Astra Militarum get Born Soldiers as their detachment rule.
Assumedly then later Codex Detachments will have something else, hopefully something that's worth looking at next to Born Soldiers.

I think it's basically saying the default detachment is Cadian themed as the model range currently is. I'm sure Catachan and Kreig will get more releases to go with their themed detachments. 

Edited by Bradeh

3 minutes ago, Bradeh said:

I think it's basically saying the default detachment is Cadian themed as the model range currently is. I'm sure Catachan and Kreig will get more releases to go with their themed detachments. 

Catachan detachment will probably just be +1 to S and still get the +1 BS bonus to heavy weapons even if you move.

5 minutes ago, Bradeh said:

I think it's more "This first Detatchment is to evoke a Combined Arms force, something that draws from a little bit of everything that the Imperial Guard has to offer."

With the implication there, being, "In the future, we're going to have more themed detatchments, aimed at creating lists  evocative of the past, or armies of renown that existed in previous editions."

They haven't outright said that, but I can't imagine any other situation being long term viable.  People are already losing their mind about their Imperial Fist Successor Chapter not being special, if they flatten every faction into a single play style there will be a legitimate rebellion on their hands.

1 hour ago, jaxom said:

I think it's how the Design Team decided to keep Command Squads and Officers safe in an army that relies on them. Chewing through 20+ guys to get the one giving Orders, etc. I think it also introduces some interesting list building options. Assuming the double squad is part of all the basic squad types (and they're also all battle line), an Astra Militarum list could theoretically have 480+ infantry bodies.

Also with the limit to Battleline units, it allows you to field more that just 60 Guardsmen. 

3 hours ago, jaxom said:

TOWERING interacts with the terrain rules:

image.thumb.png.a5ada0e7e7c556d4fc7ee7228eb872f6.png

And I'd guess TITANIC will keep some of the current benefits like walking over units.

But the BANEBLADE is TITANIC and I doubt it will get to move over other units... maybe you need the WALKER keyword? I believe the dreadnoughts have it.

In the past hasn't the TITANIC keyword allowed units to disengage from melee with non-TITANIC units or something like that? Maybe if a bunch of Grots are whacking a Baneblade with sticks, it can just drive away?

2 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

I mean you’re not wrong about that, but still seems silly.

jesus though a 20 man unit with 6 chainsword attacks could be fairly dangerous in melee.

I'm a touch confused by what you mean. A 20 man unit of Cadian Shock Troops.is making 24 S3 WS 4+ AP - attacks- 3 from each sergeant, and 1 from each guardsmen. I don't see what the danger is?

5 minutes ago, Squark said:

I'm a touch confused by what you mean. A 20 man unit of Cadian Shock Troops.is making 24 S3 WS 4+ AP - attacks- 3 from each sergeant, and 1 from each guardsmen. I don't see what the danger is?

Sheer quantity of dice, I guess.
Maybe it's better with Fix Bayonets!

Edited by Indy Techwisp
Double Post by mistake, fixed.

27 minutes ago, Squark said:

I’m not saying they’re super dangerous but compared to a 20 man conscript blob 4 extra attacks is a lot more potential for wounding

as for the grenade launcher I guess I’d need to see the mathhammer but I feel like the frag profile got worse. Krak definitely looks better but the frag profile seems iffy

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

29 minutes ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

I’m not saying they’re super dangerous but compared to a 20 man conscript blob 4 extra attacks is a lot more potential for wounding

as for the grenade launcher I guess I’d need to see the mathhammer but I feel like the frag profile got worse. Krak definitely looks better but the frag profile seems iffy

Hard to tell without the full picture, but you could be right. Maybe kind of a sidegrade. Went from d6 shots at S3 to d3 shots at S4. So each shot wounds T3 and T4 better, but with a smaller volume of fire. 

34 minutes ago, BluejayJunior said:

Hard to tell without the full picture, but you could be right. Maybe kind of a sidegrade. Went from d6 shots at S3 to d3 shots at S4. So each shot wounds T3 and T4 better, but with a smaller volume of fire. 

And we know in general more shots almost always wins out over 1 or 2 higher S even when it’s only one more shot (HB vs AC for example)

3 hours ago, Bradeh said:

Don't worry everyone, I've got the leaked image of the new Catachans.

Hide contents

cc.thumb.jpg.9604e7f21984a67afc68a0e7183cb8b0.jpg

The sheer nostalgia in that!!! goblin green bases with spongy flock, mail order for individual components, the prices!

I am liking the look of the guard rules but sadly I dont think I'll be investing in a new army of them any time soon though I may dig our what I have already and build/paint a small force at some point.