Faction Focus: Astra Militarum

8 hours ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

What do they mean though by if this bodyguard unit is destroyed they return to starting strengths... Wich bodyguard? That only makes sense if it's a Castellan, Junior officer has a unit of his own so are they all counting as characters? Can I kill them off then kill off the rest of the squad and have them magically regenerate back into a command squad? lol

Before you can target an attached hq, you have to kill the squad it is attached too first. So if you have attached a command squad to a 20 man unit, you have to kill all 20 troopers first before you can start targeting the command squad. It’s possible there is a way to target an attached HQ through special abilities or weapons, but not sure if we have seen any yet.

10 hours ago, Mumeishi said:

You know if your thinking of charging a (basic troop unit) guard unit into close combat…and you think it’s going to do really well… you should really switch to World eaters  or maybe play checkers… :tongue:

Who said anything about doing well? Get in line and die for the emperor like a good soldier!

It should be enough to get your opponent thinking how much he’s willing to commit to drive you off that objective though. Probably be more than he thinks.

20 Guardsmen with a command squad feels like a return in some ways to the old infantry platoons which were one command squad and (at least) two infantry squads. Although they could fight independently. 

Also you can now take [480 - doh] guardsman, 6 x 20 Cadians, 6 x 20 Catachans, 6 x 20 Krieg and 6 x 20 Infantry Squad???

Sign me uppppp. 

Edited by MechaMan

45 minutes ago, Arikel said:

Before you can target an attached hq, you have to kill the squad it is attached too first. So if you have attached a command squad to a 20 man unit, you have to kill all 20 troopers first before you can start targeting the command squad. It’s possible there is a way to target an attached HQ through special abilities or weapons, but not sure if we have seen any yet.

Wich still leaves the case of Snipers pegging off members of the command squad leaving some of them dead before the bodyguard unit dies at wich point they return to starting strength. I still don't think GW thought this one totally through. Unless the command squad datasheet clarifies it but it's such a niche situation I'm not sure it will. lol

3 hours ago, Lemondish said:

Speculation is that this is what the precision weapon ability would enable.

This. Feels like there's a chance that snipers could have a place in this edition is they can pick off attached characters without having to chew through their unit first. My Deathmarks might see the table again at last!

Mixed feelings. Everything else so far seems to encourage dynamic games and mobility, so I do not like at all the Born soldiers buff requiring to stand still. We'll see when we have the whole picture.

Re: close combat: I can't see why some get excited here. Guardsmen will suck as always, and the 'many' attacks of a 20-man unit won't change that for sure. Also because some people seem to assume that those 20 guards will all reach melee, and that they will all be able to fight being in range - both extremely unlikely events. And even in that case, they might kill a few grots at best. Sarge chainsword has always done 3 attacks, so again nothing new here. You'd better put your hopes in the couple of specialized cc units we have, if anything.

It seems like Vehicles, from this preview and others, are going to be very strong this edition; most infantry units will be wounding vehicles on a 6+, and even most infantry portable Anti Tank isn't very strong against the tough stuff. 

Seems like you will need proper tanks to kill tanks. 

7 hours ago, MechaMan said:

20 Guardsmen with a command squad feels like a return in some ways to the old infantry platoons which were one command squad and (at least) two infantry squads. Although they could fight independently. 

Also you can now take 240 guardsman, 6 x 20 Cadians, 6 x 20 Catachans, 6 x 20 Krieg and 6 x 20 Infantry Squad???

Sign me uppppp. 

480, plus whatever you're taking for a character/leader/HQ. 240 would be squads of 10.

57 minutes ago, Xenith said:

=][= Merged some doubleposts and did some other tidying =][= .

Liking how guard squads can blob up again, I think it was 3rd ed when they coud do this last? You could field the entire 55 man platoon+command as one unit. 

Merging was also a part of 5th edition if memory serves. I distinctly recall blobs of 30 guardsmen with 3 lascannons hidden within.

12 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

CST sgts can take a drum fed autogun

and historically guard could be armed with lasguns or autoguns.

Thanks. I missed the CST sgt can now have one. 

The history was why I was curious. If they were giving the option to have a whole squad at that profile it opened up some interesting build options for back line objective holding units.

2 hours ago, Feral_80 said:

Mixed feelings. Everything else so far seems to encourage dynamic games and mobility, so I do not like at all the Born soldiers buff requiring to stand still. We'll see when we have the whole picture.

Re: close combat: I can't see why some get excited here. Guardsmen will suck as always, and the 'many' attacks of a 20-man unit won't change that for sure. Also because some people seem to assume that those 20 guards will all reach melee, and that they will all be able to fight being in range - both extremely unlikely events. And even in that case, they might kill a few grots at best. Sarge chainsword has always done 3 attacks, so again nothing new here. You'd better put your hopes in the couple of specialized cc units we have, if anything.

Large units are more efficient for orders is one of the reasons people tend to like bricks of Guard.

2 hours ago, Commissar Yossarian said:

Thanks. I missed the CST sgt can now have one. 

The history was why I was curious. If they were giving the option to have a whole squad at that profile it opened up some interesting build options for back line objective holding units.

The CST sgt was able to take the autogun since introduced 

16 hours ago, spessmarine said:

I don't want to see too much Lethal Hits. It was palatable for Necrons to have it a bunch as a call back to classic gauss and faction technological advantage.

Regardless of whether it is game breaking or not, feels un-interactive to skip what defines some faction's flavour. AoS exists for the no toughness stat system.

It also has the downstream consequence of forcing things with high toughness to need strong saves.

Lethal hits is the solution for AP going down and vehicles getting much tougher. This is to avoid the "feels bad" of facing a Knights army and only have 500 points of anti-tank on board.

IMO, it is a fair trade-off.

15 hours ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

What do they mean though by if this bodyguard unit is destroyed they return to starting strengths... Wich bodyguard? That only makes sense if it's a Castellan, Junior officer has a unit of his own so are they all counting as characters? Can I kill them off then kill off the rest of the squad and have them magically regenerate back into a command squad? lol

The Blast always Blasts order was pretty tight. The Commissar orders will definitely be missed.

That is a very fair question. Maybe sniping only works on characters that aren't on a unit?

5 hours ago, BitsHammer said:

Large units are more efficient for orders is one of the reasons people tend to like bricks of Guard.

In this edition large units will be less susceptible to morale, so even more reason to bring them. And because most characters will need to stay into a unit to be protected... then another extra reason to carry big units.

Yup, models with blast will have a field day...

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone else notice that Tauroxes (and so probably all AM transports) can now carry "Veteran Heavy Weapons Teams"... perhaps Veteran squads are back, on the other hand, they could just be the Heavy Weapons Team in a Command Squad.

Edited by L30n1d4s

20 minutes ago, zero888 said:

Taurox upped to 12 model capacity is nice, but only T8 will have it getting wounded on 3s by most meltas, missile launchers, autocannons etc. 

well it’s not supposed to be a particularly hard target to kill.

it’s currently T6, so this update seems 100% reasonable.

I’m glad to see the autocannons seem to be getting some nice buffs. S9 w/ 3 damage is more than I could have hoped for.

58 minutes ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

well it’s not supposed to be a particularly hard target to kill.

it’s currently T6, so this update seems 100% reasonable.

I’m glad to see the autocannons seem to be getting some nice buffs. S9 w/ 3 damage is more than I could have hoped for.

Yes but with Rhino's being T10 I suppose I figured it would be T9. Autocannons finally being good is a warm welcome for sure

48 minutes ago, zero888 said:

Yes but with Rhino's being T10 I suppose I figured it would be T9. Autocannons finally being good is a warm welcome for sure

Rhinos are T9.