10th Edition Warhammer Faction Focus: Grey Knights

WAR

17 minutes ago, DemonGSides said:

The game has never really played that way.

Otherwise the imperium would all just be basically one big army which would be cumbersome to say the least lol

Maybe a rarity, but 6th-8th played that way to some degree. Alas, though, unlikely to be the case for GK in 10th.

So... Marines and Sisters getting to a 2+ save in cover is too strong, but making Grey Knights all have a base 2+ save is fine?

Every model having a storm bolter and multi-damage power weapon wasn't enough apparently.

The teleport strike being their army rule is cool though. It's useful vs everyone, but its how they attack daemons in the places that matter, so thumbs up there

5 hours ago, Khornestar said:

It’s a shame that grey knights aren’t an “allied detachment” option the way knights/chaos knights/daemons are. Just seems like it would make sense lore-wise vs. an entire army’s worth.

Oh well, such connections to the lore have seemingly fallen by the wayside a bit.

54 minutes ago, Mogger351 said:

I suspect they, along with things like sisters of Silence, might crop up in imperial agents.

Makes sense for matched play. I’m sure the narrative community will find a way.

34 minutes ago, The Unseen said:

So... Marines and Sisters getting to a 2+ save in cover is too strong, but making Grey Knights all have a base 2+ save is fine?

Every model having a storm bolter and multi-damage power weapon wasn't enough apparently.

The teleport strike being their army rule is cool though. It's useful vs everyone, but its how they attack daemons in the places that matter, so thumbs up there

The inate grey knigths´s 2+ save can be considerer on their point cost of the model. A upgrade from a external rule can´t be. That is the reason.

Love the rules. The teleport power seems really kwl and will make them very unique. I just wish GKs got a redo for the minis. They are such a kwl theme but the models look dated to me. 

Still don't like the new psychic phase with no denies nor any flexibility on powers.

10 hours ago, Khornestar said:

Until they get an upscaling redesign they’re essentially dead to me, but these rules are interesting.

An odd thing but I’m thrilled to see this artwork again. Among my favorites in the setting:

image.jpeg.659934787be66d04b67dfca82abdd261.jpeg

Higher res version without GW logos from the artist’s art station:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/NvaWb

Edited by Khornestar

13 hours ago, Overkill said:

Yeah, I can't get into these guys till they redo the models.

Proportions off and not really in a way that comes across as cute in which case things wrap around to good again.

Yeah... Not like it is a big line to refresh, brother captain + terminator box + troops box minimum and you've done it. 

Also, seems like GK land raiders and dreadnoughts will be teleporting around the place too.

I wonder if they'll get any other units added, a bit anemic without reason. They can take rhinos/razorbacks/land raiders, but transports isn't something you need much of there. Is there a reason for not having a battle tank?

10 minutes ago, ThePenitentOne said:

Teleport Assault only works if the datacard has the teleport assault ability (even though it's an army rule).

All infantry units will have it. The NDK and GMNDK will have it.

Tanks will not. Guaranteed.

Wouldn't be surprising, but would also be odd as then I believe GK would be the only faction with a faction rule that doesn't work on all their units?

44 minutes ago, spessmarine said:

Wouldn't be surprising, but would also be odd as then I believe GK would be the only faction with a faction rule that doesn't work on all their units?

I mean Thousand Sons faction ability does not work on every unit. Rhino's don't generate cabal points and they are not Psykers so they cannot use the rituals either.

Such a weird change to give their power armour a 2+ save. Really wasn't expecting anything like that. The only extra armour is the shoulder ridges. Think an an army wide aegis 5+ invulnerable save would have made more sense. Still good though! 

As others have said, I wonder what interceptors will do now? 

Looking like a really fun army to play 

1 hour ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

I mean Thousand Sons faction ability does not work on every unit. Rhino's don't generate cabal points and they are not Psykers so they cannot use the rituals either.

They cannot generate points or cast, but can benefit from rituals, so the faction ability correct? So Weaver, Temporal, and join in in bullying the poor guy Twisted.

8 minutes ago, Hellex_The_Thanatar said:

Custodes vehicles in same situation I believe 

Could be, didn't show anything to confirm it. Maybe your land raiders will join in the fun, becoming hard to hit with Kaptaris and then striking back with Sustained Hits armoured tracks. :banana:

6 hours ago, spessmarine said:

- All astra militarum units we have seen do not have the faction ability, I think it only appears on leader models, but if you dont add or cant add a leader to a unit, the unit cant use the faction ability.

- in Admech Cawl doesnt have the faction ability and thus cant use it, I think this might mean none of the techpriests do get the faction ability only the skitari and mechs/vehicles

- in Custodes only the custodes datasheet has the ability, at least the sisters of silence do not have it, we dont know about vehicles yet.

We havent seen a lot of datasheets yet, but I think its quite possible alot of factions will have some units that dont have and cannot use the faction rule, as we already seen quite some. ( I think, based on SoS.. things like Harlequins, corsairs, kroot, Pentinents etc. wont get the faction rule.)

I really like how we are moved from "solely anti-daemon guys" to "special force space marines to strike at the very heart of the enemy, but preffered target are still daemons". I hated anti-daemon bonuses which were useless in 95% games for me and I just forgot about have when I played against actual daemons.

I like how all nemesis weapons are one profile, so I can model my knights the way I want without looking which is best in current meta. No more points tax and no more separate rolling. Great! Hammer and stave should have stayed as separate profile though.

I wished our psychic might would be incorporated into army rules, but teleportation also looks great. Each unit will have a psychic power anyway. Both army and detachment rules look at least solid. 

2+ save on PA guys is great. We really deserved it. 

I am a bit dissappointed by special weapon profiles, GW still do not want us give strong guns, despite the fact is is all we have. And no hammers now to do anything too. Psilencer should've been something like anti-infantry 3+ or lethal hits and psycannon s9 at least, probably with devastating wounds. But they hit on 3's now and Psycannon didn't lose AP, which is actually a buff now. If they won't cost much, I see no reason not to take a gun or two in every squad.

We don't have much to kill vehicles, so should rely on ndks and lascannons now. Maybe, taking a Land Raider would be a good idea now?

Overall, I am very content with new rules. Can't wait to see all datasheets.

About 12 years ago, when I was working on a 'FanDex' for the Grey Knights, and doing a lot of posts about it here on the B&C, I went all-in on the Teleport Assault theme.  At the time, I thought that aspect of the game should be one of the defining attributes of the faction (along with their psychic powers, of course).  All of these years later it is really cool to see the same ideas that I was advocating finally come to fruition.  

Anyone else see Purgation Squads with 4 x Incinerators teleporting in behind a ruin in the opponent's DZ, then frying a small, 5 man objective holder Squad with 4D6 shots out of LOS?

They should average 14 hits, about 12 wounds against T3 models, and then AP-1 kills an average of 10 guardsmen.

Against a 5 woman SoB Squad, they would average 14 hits, 12 wounds, and then 6 unsaved wounds after armor saves, so pretty good there as well.

Basically anything that is T3 is going to take a real devastating hit and, even if there are survivors, the Purgation squad is out of LOS for any return fire.