Horus Heresy Units In 10th Edition

The Horus Heresy Models in Games of Warhammer 40,000,

TLDR: Horus Heresy units will be getting Legends'ed with the exception of Custodes and Imperial Knight models who will be getting Matched Play rules.

Chaos is finally getting official Kratos rules though. Thanks Monkey's Paw?

Legends of the Horus Heresy units:
(for use in matched and narrative play, but not competitive events)

• Leviathan, Contemptor, and Deredeo Dreadnoughts
  • Kratos, Sicaran, Spartan, Cerberus, and Typhon Tanks
  • Certain variants of the Land Raider, the Vindicator, and the Whirlwind
  • Xiphon Interceptors, Fire Raptors, Storm Eagles, and Storm Birds 
  • Legion Support Weapons
  • Fellblades, Falcions, Mastodons
  • Javelins, Dreadnoughts and Deathstorm Drop Pods
  • Secutarii Hoplites and Peltasts, and Terrax-pattern Termites
  • Decimators, Greater Blight Drones, Blood Slaughterers, Greater Brass Scorpions, Kytan Ravagers, the Kharybdis Assault Claw, and the Dreadclaw Drop Pod

Imperial Armour Units, That are also in the Horus Heresy:
(for use in matched and narrative play, including competitive events)

• Adeptus Custodes units 
  • Imperial Knights

hQJJNWmxt5boj3ji.jpg

Edited by Lord Marshal

Like. I'm ok with this, further separating the product lines into 30k and 40k appropriate settings. I do empathise with anyone that's accumulated a lot of these models specifically for 40k though, however most of those collectors I think weren't regularly using them in official tourneys, so they can keep using them in local tourneys (house rule dependant) and friendly games. I'll still look forward to loading my spartan with death company. 

Edited by Xenith

The decision to do zero changes & balance updates is disappointing, but they only ever made a half hearted effort with FW stuff anyway. 

It would also be nice if they'd give the HH weapon options to datasheets that are part of the core codex in the Legends of HH stuff. So you could take twin lascannons in the hull of the proteus for example. In fact, the proteus should really have a separate datasheet, given that only one version has an assault ramp. It's inclusion as the example of one that can be used with a Land Raider datasheet suggests otherwise.

Edited by Toxichobbit

Don't think many people were expecting GW to send everything to Legends except Knights and Custodes.

General sentiment seemed to be that GW would be crazy to not double dip in both settings for at least the stuff with plastic kits.

Custodes probably missed the axe less for narrative reasons and more for the fact that they would lose half of their units.

Does make sense that these ancient war machines should not be showing up on every battlefield (for Imperium anyway), although the same could be said for special characters and Space Marines in general.

I don’t play competitively. I can still use my Contemptor in friendly games. It’s my favorite model.

On the competitive side, I like to follow the scene through podcasts and articles. Curious to see how this news is taken in that community.

From article:

Going forward, new units added to Warhammer: The Horus Heresy will only receive Warhammer 40,000 rules where it would be appropriate – in other words, where a unit might be considered at least somewhat common in the 41st Millennium.

Dare I hope for 30k Admech in 40K? Probably not, but still it will be interesting to see what units get ported to 40k inb the future.

I think its more disappointing because it confirms they still havent split tournament gaming off from matched play properly which screws over casual pick up gamers on stuff like this. Some really broad choices there too which is unfortunate.

Still, we might finally get Kharon Acquisitor rules which would be nice (though im not holding my breath honestly)

27 minutes ago, Lord Marshal said:

TLDR: Horus Heresy units will be getting Legends'ed with the exception of Custodes and Imperial Knight models who will be getting Matched Play rules.

Chaos is finally getting official Kratos rules though. Thanks Monkey's Paw?

To be clear, they're all getting Matched play rules according to the article

I both get it and think it’s a terrible decision. Ultimately I don’t play in GW events, but the spillover into casual games is going to happen. To what degree for me personally? Not sure.

We’ll totally get something that looks like a balanced game because of this decision though, so it’ll all be worth it in the end. ;)

Oh and of course custodes are an exception. Of course.

Edited by Khornestar

3 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

I think its more disappointing because it confirms they still havent split tournament gaming off from matched play properly which screws over casual pick up gamers on stuff like this. Some really broad choices there too which is unfortunate.

Still, we might finally get Kharon Acquisitor rules which would be nice (though im not holding my breath honestly)

The article states:

You’re free to use these rules in your games wherever or however you play them – at home, in stores, or gaming clubs, both for narrative campaigns and matched play games.

[...]The only place you won’t be able to use these datasheets is in a competitive environment – particularly at official Warhammer 40,000 tournaments.

So they are differentiating matched from competitive

1 minute ago, KnightofSigismund said:

Somehow I feel like a certain few individuals are going to bring up firstborn being replaced etc etc over this. 

Fool of a Took! You’ve summoned them!

6 minutes ago, Doctor Perils said:

So they are differentiating matched from competitive

That is not how people will see it. Not in pick-up games anyway. Outside of the "beerhammer with my friends" circles, Matched Play and Tournament are one and the same.

Considering how often that topic comes up with no resolution though, I do not expect that today will be the day that people come together in understanding on the issue.

"Certain variants of the Land Raider, the Vindicator, and the Whirlwind"

Meaning certain weapon loadouts from the LR proteus/Legion Vindicator/Scorpius not available to the standard 40k versions of these kits then?

Was gonna get a spartan or proteus for my new leviathan terminators. I mean I still could, as I won't really be playing in tournaments ever. 

10 minutes ago, KnightofSigismund said:

Somehow I feel like a certain few individuals are going to bring up firstborn being replaced etc etc over this. 

Ironically, you would be the first.

=][= This is not the thread for the FB v Primaris discussion. =][=