What would you say is the best loadout and role for two squads of Sons of Horus Cataphractii Terminators? One squad will be with Maloghurst in a Landraider and the other will be with a Master of Signals in a Landraider.. 

Power-/Chainfists or Thunderhammers.

SoH have the freedom of not worrying too much about enemy Str.8 Attacks on the first round of Combat.

For budget Terminators, i'd try the new breaching 4+ Tabars =]

I think, Justaerin might make most out of 'em, thanks to 3 Attacks and str.6 on the charge.

52 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Whoa where are these Breaching 4+ tabars?!  Just for Sons of Horus or other Legions as well?  My Space Wolves' Command Squad only had 5+ which failed miserably my last game.

Carsoran Power Tabars from the new Siege book. Only for SoH, any model, exchange a Powerweapon for no additional cost.

S+1, AP3, Breaching (4+), Twohanded.

What type of Land Raider? Phobos or Spartan?. 

In my opinion, is always good a mixture of lighting claws and fists/thunder hammers. And, if you can, change combi-bolters for volkite chargers or combi- Volkites.

Is quite curious, at least for me, see a front-line MoS.

Load out would depend heavily on intended target, my rule of thumb so far has been:

Standard Cata squad into mainline infantry (WS4 or less) Lightning Claws

Justaerin squad in to other terminators/WS5 targets Thunder Hammers/Power Fists (Leaning more heavily to Hammers for brutal)

For the heavy weapon I tend to lean into Heavy Flamers just for charge shenagins, as you can charge whatever you shoot at, so set up for a cheeky charge into another target by clipping it with the flamer template ;), the others just seem a little too pricey/less effective depending on role in the army.

Off the top of my head Maloghurst gives the unit he joins line, so I'd lean towards the new Tabars if going cheap (or 2nd wave), or hammers if you're wanting to go in as a 1st wave force and potentially facing dreadnoughts (avoid them if you're using standard catas, as WS4 vs WS5 really doesn't go well in that scenario)

MoS unit I'd suggest again keeping the combi bolters and following the same as above to make the most of the augury scanner (also one of the few instances I'd consider the other two weapons, likely moving to the Reaper autocannon, unless you want to go tank hunting). 

Also as Agramar queried, would also depend which Raider variant you're taking, as standard I'd go for the Phobos or Proteus unless you're taking Justaerin (as they are locked to Spartans for DTs) or a bigger squad (in which case fill your boots and your Raider :) )

20 hours ago, Starlight_Wolf said:

Load out would depend heavily on intended target, my rule of thumb so far has been:

Justaerin squad in to other terminators/WS5 targets Thunder Hammers/Power Fists (Leaning more heavily to Hammers for brutal)

For the heavy weapon I tend to lean into Heavy Flamers just for charge shenagins, as you can charge whatever you shoot at, so set up for a cheeky charge into another target by clipping it with the flamer template ;), the others just seem a little too pricey/less effective depending on role in the army.

Off the top of my head Maloghurst gives the unit he joins line, so I'd lean towards the new Tabars if going cheap (or 2nd wave), or hammers if you're wanting to go in as a 1st wave force and potentially facing dreadnoughts (avoid them if you're using standard catas, as WS4 vs WS5 really doesn't go well in that scenario)

MoS unit I'd suggest again keeping the combi bolters and following the same as above to make the most of the augury scanner (also one of the few instances I'd consider the other two weapons, likely moving to the Reaper autocannon, unless you want to go tank hunting). 

Also as Agramar queried, would also depend which Raider variant you're taking, as standard I'd go for the Phobos or Proteus unless you're taking Justaerin (as they are locked to Spartans for DTs) or a bigger squad (in which case fill your boots and your Raider :) )

Justaerin aren’t able to take Spartans as a Dedicated Transport, they’re limited to LR Proteus or Dreadclaw Drop Pods. Doesn’t stop you giving them a Spartan from the Heavy Support, but I always thought that was very odd! Alternatively there are a couple of ways of giving them Deep Strike…

3 hours ago, General Zodd said:

Justaerin aren’t able to take Spartans as a Dedicated Transport, they’re limited to LR Proteus or Dreadclaw Drop Pods. Doesn’t stop you giving them a Spartan from the Heavy Support, but I always thought that was very odd! Alternatively there are a couple of ways of giving them Deep Strike…

My bad, I knew it was one or the other, but couldn't remember which way round it was :P

Off the top of my head, Deep Strike options would be Horus, Abaddon, a Warmonger Consul or the Black Reaving Row iirc?

On 6/7/2023 at 11:28 AM, Starlight_Wolf said:

Doesn't Mal only give Line to a unit IF he is the Warlord though? 

Edited by TheWarmaster

• 9 months later...
On 6/8/2023 at 1:14 AM, General Zodd said:

In my opinion this is a non-issue, but only because a Justaerin deathstar is so goddamn expensive that you will struggle to fill your HS slots even after purchasing the Spartan.

On 6/7/2023 at 4:28 AM, Starlight_Wolf said:

What is better in your opinion? Forking out the points to attach a chaplain to regular catas, or upgrading to Justaerin?

22 hours ago, The Scorpion said:

In my opinion this is a non-issue, but only because a Justaerin deathstar is so goddamn expensive that you will struggle to fill your HS slots even after purchasing the Spartan.

What is better in your opinion? Forking out the points to attach a chaplain to regular catas, or upgrading to Justaerin?

I didn’t raise it as an issue, simply pointing out the fact it’s not allowed. Where it might become an issue is in a Black Reaving army, where your Heavy Support options are limited to one fewer than your Fast Attack slots. But then you get Deep Strike on your Justaerin, which I hinted at as a very credible alternative to giving them a dedicated transport in the first place.

As for the question about buffing regular Cataphractii vs upgrading to Justaerin, I’d always choose to go for Justaerin. I know it’s 30 points for a termie with power weapon and combibolter vs 50 for a Justy with Carsoran axes and Banestrike bolters and that extra 20 points will really add up, but the WS5 and extra attack, plus potential for Deep Strike I think makes them really solid.

Plus their Justaerin, they’re just cool.