Black Templars Index

2 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

All the options would still be on one sheet. Just like in 9th, there would a single datasheet that has limitations on certain pieces of wargear.

Actually the exact opposite of there being an option not available on the sheet but you are able to take.

In 9th the datasheet was for the captain, and only covered the loadouts that all of the other chapters could use. The Templar Supplement didn't have datasheets for those units, it just had a line adding those loadouts to the datasheet retrospectively.

It seems they don't want to do that again, nor do they want to confuse the 'vanilla' datasheets with loadouts that only apply to specific chapters.

31 minutes ago, Kilamandaros said:

So no characters can lead Bladeguard including the Marshal, does that mean we'll have to use the regular Marine characters such as a Primaris Captain to include Bladeguard and just pretend they're a marshal? Bit perturbed by this.

Judiciar seems the best leader for BGV.

1 minute ago, Sword Brother Adelard said:

In 9th the datasheet was for the captain, and only covered the loadouts that all of the other chapters could use. The Templar Supplement didn't have datasheets for those units, it just had a line adding those loadouts to the datasheet retrospectively.

It seems they don't want to do that again, nor do they want to confuse the 'vanilla' datasheets with loadouts that only apply to specific chapters.

That could have been their motivation, yeah. 

Seems a little bit of poor trade off in efficiency really though, since you're using the Index Astartes with your Black Templars Index for everything else, so a bit of a waste of time.

The other "issue" they've caused is things like Melta pistols and heavy Flamers on units Marines don't normally associate with such weapons. I mean, if they've done it for BT why didn't they introduce that for BA too?

Just feels all over the shop in the design process from GW right now.

Just now, Tokugawa said:

Judiciar seems the best leader for BGV.

He's good sure, but I like the Captain (Marshal) model - he's basically made for Tanny's Bones for 5+ FNP, and can then add a Castellan or Ancient as well to get extra buffs. Yes fight first is great but the Marshal makes them so much more resilient to shooting and the free stratagem is amazing.

Thinking Judiciar for Sword Bros actually, Grimaldus with the big Crusader Squad in an LRC...decisions decisions...

9 minutes ago, Sir Clausel said:

How does scout work with attached characters? The rule says all models must have the rule to be able to do the move. But do leaders gain the rules of the attached unit?

as I unerstand - the character will be part of this unit and this unit has an ability --> so characters get their ability too.

Grimaldus is must take (although i dont like that the abilities are not automatic in first round)

Helbrecht is a brutal option with lieutenant with 5+++ relic for sustained hits on 5s and 5+++

the champion depends on his points - just strong in output but again he has the problem that he has no buffs

i am not sure how my lists will look like. 

17 minutes ago, Sir Clausel said:

How does scout work with attached characters? The rule says all models must have the rule to be able to do the move. But do leaders gain the rules of the attached unit?

Every model in the unit must have the scout rule for the unit to make the extra move.

11 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

That could have been their motivation, yeah. 

Seems a little bit of poor trade off in efficiency really though, since you're using the Index Astartes with your Black Templars Index for everything else, so a bit of a waste of time.

I think we may be on the same page from the opposite side? For me, it would have made more sense to have the Primaris Marshal sheet the same as the Primaris captain one, with the Templar specific options as well.

Instead if I play my BT Specific Marshal model, I need one datasheet, and if I play my Indomitus Marshal, I need the Captain sheet.

That's inefficient!

10 minutes ago, Medjugorje said:

as I unerstand - the character will be part of this unit and this unit has an ability --> so characters get their ability too.

Grimaldus is must take (although i dont like that the abilities are not automatic in first round)

Helbrecht is a brutal option with lieutenant with 5+++ relic for sustained hits on 5s and 5+++

the champion depends on his points - just strong in output but again he has the problem that he has no buffs

i am not sure how my lists will look like. 

Its how i feel it would work but i can also see it not working if the character doesnt get the ability.

Right now you cant put both Helbrecht and a lieutenant in the same squad. Helbrecht doesnt have chapter master keyword

It would apply to the attached unit, since he has the Leader keyword.  

While a Bodyguard unit contains a Leader, it is known as an Attached unit and, with the exception of rules that are triggered when units are destroyed (pg 12), it is treated as a single unit for all rules purposes.

Edited by Sersi

I'm not too crazy for our detachment, the enhancements are meh and the strats are OK, maybe GSF detachment is just too good for what I want.

Grimaldus is a must take imo, FNP to survive before jumping to charge after advancing is really good with a big unit and in GSF that would be two units doing that without using the Assault Doctrine. 

Crusader squads seem really nice, I can see using them to scout move a Transport and get an easier turn 1 charge, if it's a LRC add a  BGV or SB for more power and you could be storming objectives wherever you want.

The Champion also looks great, I think he can finally be a character killer.

Overall I think we are doing very well this edition, we got plenty of good tools to achieve whatever we need in our lists. 

EC seems... disappointing. No Fights First. No Lone. Operative. No inherent invulnerable save at all. No mobility tricks. Not even grenades, what the hell.

The Skillful parry is cool, but that's only one attack and things bashing him will have dozens, what's negating one attack good for.

Edited by Kastor Krieg

17 minutes ago, Kilamandaros said:

Do Grimaldus's relic buffs apply to just him or the whole unit he's attached to?

Only reason I ask is because it says: . Until the start of your next Command phase, this unit’s Chaplain Grimaldus model has that ability.

The wording is poor, but the individual relic abilities still refer to "this unit" rather than "this model".   But Guilliman's "Author of the Codex" is similarly worded.

Edited by Sersi

1 minute ago, Kastor Krieg said:

EC seems... disappointing. No inherent invulnerable save at all. The Skillful parry is cool, but that's only one attack and things bashing him will have dozens, what's negating one attack good for.

He has a 4+ invulnerable save...?