Black Templars Index

3 minutes ago, Sword Brother Adelard said:

He has a 4+ invulnerable save...?

Ah, jeez, I'm still not used to the datasheets. Glanced over it completely, thanks. And the fact that Grenades are now a 'gem and he has the key, too.

It's still weird. He got BS 2+ on the single bolt pistol shot. Because that was what we wished to spend points on, surely.

Lost a pip of AP on both melee attack variants and lost a pip of Dmg on sweep. Both are WS 2+ though.

I'm not sure I follow the logic, I'll have to play him but he seems more like a Sergeant++, not an Emperor inspired beatstick who previously had a great shot at shanking Angron on the charge :(

Edited by Kastor Krieg

I'm really liking the synergy between Strats, Enchancements and Vows. All good stuff in the Index other that prevent Primaris characters joining Firstborn units.

You can't really compare the 9th ed sheets to 10th. Everything has been toned down, especially AP.

I like that he's basically got a 'nope' card for one attack, but as ever with the EC, he lacks the force multiplication buffs the other characters give off, this was his issue in 9th, and now it's only really mitigated by the fact you aren't limited in how many characters you can take in a detachment.

5 minutes ago, Sea Creature said:

The Champion has never provided any buffs.

Its almost as if that's what the words 'as ever' might mean?

You'd also be wrong. Because in 4th, it was the Champion who gave the access to vows.

i dont see Hellbrecht as necessary. i think a terminator captain with 5+++ relic and the ability to get armor of content each turn for free makes a terminator squad  a really great unit.

In addition they can reroll charges. 

when we see it of a competitve view: we have to prepaire against oath of moment, against desolator spam and lots of abilites which work against one squad --> so big squads with 3+ save are dead. no cover bonus against ap0  makes mass shots very effective against our squads. 

what i think its very intersting is:

PCS has 5 attacks with chainswords and assault+heavy on their guns - in addition to their ability to reroll charges and advancing. Everything depends on points yet but if they are cheap enough then a few 10er squads could be taken.

and sword brethren in impulsors + Lancers are still THIS thing

34 minutes ago, redmapa said:

I'm not too crazy for our detachment, the enhancements are meh and the strats are OK, maybe GSF detachment is just too good for what I want.

Grimaldus is a must take imo, FNP to survive before jumping to charge after advancing is really good with a big unit and in GSF that would be two units doing that without using the Assault Doctrine. 

Crusader squads seem really nice, I can see using them to scout move a Transport and get an easier turn 1 charge, if it's a LRC add a  BGV or SB for more power and you could be storming objectives wherever you want.

The Champion also looks great, I think he can finally be a character killer.

Overall I think we are doing very well this edition, we got plenty of good tools to achieve whatever we need in our lists. 

our enhancements are 1 --> tannhausers bones!!!!!!!!!!! and this is still great.

37 minutes ago, redmapa said:

The Champion also looks great, I think he can finally be a character killer.

Although he has lost reroll to hit and wound vs characters and always strikes first vs the same:ermm:

So maybe he gets a significant points cut, cos that seems quite the nerf to me. 

4 minutes ago, Emperor Ming said:

Although he has lost reroll to hit and wound vs characters and always strikes first vs the same:ermm:

So maybe he gets a significant points cut, cos that seems quite the nerf to me. 

and a judiciar is a far better option because of his fight first ability

Edited by Medjugorje

Why do Neophytes get 5 attacks with a chainsword base. 

A max crusader squad of 20 would have 98 attacks base if everyone got chainswords with the sword brethren only getting 3 attacks with the power weapon. 

AND THEY GET SCOUT 6" rerolling charges and advances.

Fear the black tide, fear the eternal crusade

Edit - for the primaris crusader squad

Edited by ChargingSoll
Detail

I dislike that a Castellan is a mandatory inclusion in Sword Brethren squads. If it was an optional upgrade that would be fine, but I planned to run my Sword Brethren in squads of 4-5, and I don't want to have a castellan for each of them. Plus I always liked that the Sword Brethren didn't have a squad leader, it felt appropriate and fluffy. I guess the solution here is homebrew; I'll just tell my opponent that my Sword Brethren don't have a castellan so none of them have MC weapons or a combi-weapon. I can't imagine anyone objecting, given that such a choice only serves to deny me the advantages of a Castellan's inclusion.

3 minutes ago, ChargingSoll said:

Why do Neophytes get 5 attacks with a chainsword base. 

A max crusader squad of 20 would have 98 attacks base if everyone got chainswords with the sword brethren only getting 3 attacks with the power weapon. 

AND THEY GET SCOUT 6" rerolling charges and advances.

Fear the black tide, fear the eternal crusade

Edit - for the primaris crusader squad

Take Accept any challenge for sustained hits 1, Add in a Captain with sigismund seal for 5+ crits, a lieutenant for lethal hits and pop a free crusaders wrath strat on them. Thats 1/3 of your attacks auto wounding and generating a second auto wound all at -2 ap. 

Fear the black tide indeed 

5 minutes ago, Sea Creature said:

I’m not seeing the stats for a Castellan in the PSB data card… what am I missing?

The man's a trainee castellan using the sword brethren stat line and being the only one to get the combi weapon and MC Power weapon, interesting bit is the squad size is max at 11. 

Edited by ChargingSoll
Edit: You can also attach a castellan to the squad for double trouble, or attach a lieutenant and captain for a 13 model squad.

32 minutes ago, Mmmmm Napalm said:

I dislike that a Castellan is a mandatory inclusion in Sword Brethren squads. If it was an optional upgrade that would be fine, but I planned to run my Sword Brethren in squads of 4-5, and I don't want to have a castellan for each of them. Plus I always liked that the Sword Brethren didn't have a squad leader, it felt appropriate and fluffy. I guess the solution here is homebrew; I'll just tell my opponent that my Sword Brethren don't have a castellan so none of them have MC weapons or a combi-weapon. I can't imagine anyone objecting, given that such a choice only serves to deny me the advantages of a Castellan's inclusion.

Just headcanon it that he's the Sergeant?

And yes, before some of you say otherwise. Sergeant IS a rank in the Templars, has been since 4th ed.