Standalone Core Rules & Tyrannic War (Standard & Limited Ed) + Index Cards

5 minutes ago, Doobles88 said:

At the other end of the spectrum, more than half the price of my Leviathan box is now covered by the books in it. Can't tell if it makes the box a bargain or the books a rip off. 

Given how much a similar size and production value RPG book costs, I'd say the box is a bargain.

They did say the Imperial Knights and Chaos Knights cards would be bundles together as Knight Households and since I don't believe they would include that pack in both Chaos and Imperium (Why even bundle them together then in the first place?) These bundles should only be for retailers and the factions will be sold on their own

The box was already offering stupid discount before we took the book into consideration. Still wish the combat patrol cards had been given away with the box mind. Oh well.

27 minutes ago, Matrindur said:

They did say the Imperial Knights and Chaos Knights cards would be bundles together as Knight Households and since I don't believe they would include that pack in both Chaos and Imperium (Why even bundle them together then in the first place?) These bundles should only be for retailers and the factions will be sold on their own

Only problem there is which price will be applied to the Knights Households. After all, all of them are different prices.

Another thing is though, the cards will be different value then others. Compare the Votann cards to the Tyranids for example, or generic chaos to World Eaters.

As for why the Knights were combined, it was probably because each one on their own wouldn't be terribly big...or cost effective for GW when it'd be easier to shove them together.

Edited by ZeroWolf
Forgot something

20 minutes ago, ZeroWolf said:

Only problem there is which price will be applied to the Knights Households. After all, all of them are different prices.

Another thing is though, the cards will be different value then others. Compare the Votann cards to the Tyranids for example, or generic chaos to World Eaters.

As for why the Knights were combined, it was probably because each one on their own wouldn't be terribly big...or cost effective for GW when it'd be easier to shove them together.

The only thing I meant is that it wouldn't make sense for them to only sell the whole Imperium bundle and chaos bundle since we know Knights of both flavors will be sold together and that wouldn't be necessary if they only sell those bundles.

Those prices on a whole are strange. Why is the SM bundle that weights 5.325kg cheaper than the chaos and xenos bundles that are only 3.4kg and 3.5kg?

That would mean they don't charge more for the factions with way more cards like SM but then why are the bundles a different price at all?

Edited by Matrindur

17 hours ago, Redcomet said:

The Crusade book I am getting however, as it will be how I will be playing 10th, with a group of mates.

Just remember that you already get all this crusade content in the Leviathan edition rulebook! 

2 hours ago, Mogger351 said:

Turns out Leviathan was a stonking deal on the books.

Yea, like £95 of content if bought separately? They always said it had those things in, just unsure if people listened! 

41 minutes ago, Progenitor said:

Index card packs are going to give you a lot of cards you don't need if you want to get them at all. 

True. But if they do come in those bundles then there are others in my group who will use ones I don't. Between us we'll cover off 80% of them easily. 

3 hours ago, Joe said:

That undermines the point of it being a Limited Edition - in the same way that making an Event Exclusive miniature available outside of a given event undermines the point of it being Event Exclusive. It does suck for people that can't fight through the crowd online or attend an event in person, admittedly.

image.png

Oh I get the logic/business strategy of limited editions in general, this just feels like its overly limited :)

Nearly £20 for the Mission Deck? Ouch.

Index Cards being bundles instead of sold individually? Also Ouch.

RIP Crusade. You had a good run, but it was already a struggle to get people to engage with it when everybody had most of the rules. 

6 minutes ago, Dark Shepherd said:

Oh I get the logic/business strategy of limited editions in general, this just feels like its overly limited :)

The limited edition core rulebooks are usually so eyewatering expensive that they stick around for a while. I think 9th was £120? And I remember that didn't fly off the shelves.

Edited by Lord Marshal

Just now, Lord Marshal said:

Nearly £20 for the Mission Deck? Ouch.

Index Cards being bundles instead of sold individually? Also Ouch.

RIP Crusade. You had a good run, but it was already a struggle to get people to engage with it when everybody had most of the rules. 

wait, what are you on about - who needs the cards which will be out of date in less than a month? why would Crusade be hurt by this at all?

4 minutes ago, Kastor Krieg said:

wait, what are you on about - who needs the cards which will be out of date in less than a month? why would Crusade be hurt by this at all?

They said the cards would be inexpensive, and there's something satisfying about having a decently wearing card over just some print-outs (plus I no longer have a printer). Plus you can always just scribble on them. My assumption was they'd be selling the individual faction cards for a fiver or something. Sure, £13 isn't breaking the bank, but if I'm only using maybe 1/8th of the contents it's not worth it. 

Crusade will be hurt by it because rather than something everybody will have the rules for in their rulebook/codex, they're now expected to go out and pay extra for them - and presumably future Crusade releases will be around the same price as Tyrannic War. Getting people to touch anything but default Chapter Approved Matched Play was already like pulling teeth, so telling people they now need to buy at least one more codex-priced book to get involved in something they needed convincing on in the first place is just going to sink it.

Edited by Lord Marshal

14 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

How much is the LE generally:ermm:

Most of the LE like Dawn of Fire etc are 75$, SoT is 80$, bundles of 3 are usually 150$, mega special limited edition usually 150+, i got the Scions of Guilliman set(8th ed) and it was 330$, it contained SM codex, Ultramarines supplement, 10 coins, 3 pack of cards + a regular pack of SM cards and a double-sided poster with galaxy map/chapters of the space marines, oh as well sort of a call to arms from Guilliman, and it was limited to 800 copies.

The 9th ed LE core book was around 150-200, can't say the exact price, I didn't bought one.

So i assume this one will be 200-300$.

Edited by OpossumStrong

4 minutes ago, Kastor Krieg said:

The content of "Crusade: Tyrannic war" is included in the Leviathan big book, but not the general release core book. So if you didn't buy Leviathan, then it's a separate £35 purchase on top to get Crusade rules, unlike 9th where the rules etc were in the main rule book. Admittedly, having a lot of the content spread across slooowly released codexes wasn't great either.

35 minutes ago, Lord Marshal said:

Crusade will be hurt by it because rather than something everybody will have the rules for in their rulebook/codex, they're now expected to go out and pay extra for them - and presumably future Crusade releases will be around the same price as Tyrannic War.

Crusade rules are still in the main rulebook, however th Tyrannic war expansion for crusade is available both in the Leviathan book, and as the standalone for sale here. 

I think. 

15 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

How much is the LE generally:ermm:

The 9e one was 210 USD. So this one will be at least that much, possibly more.

Additionally, Limited Editions are Webstore Exclusive, so you can't get them from a FLGS unless they buy it off the webstore

Edited by Gederas

11 minutes ago, Gederas said:

The 9e one was 210 USD. So this one will be at least that much, possibly more.

Additionally, Limited Editions are Webstore Exclusive, so you can't get them from a FLGS unless they buy it off the webstore

It was only a book if I'm not mistaken,without anything else.

Edited by OpossumStrong

22 minutes ago, Emperor Ming said:

If those cards are being sold in bundles, that means there's gonna be tons just chucked away?:ohmy:

I feel sorry for the FLGS that will have to buy the bundles. They're going to be left with an awful lot of cards for the factions that aren't big sellers.

I feel like just going to an office store and having them print and spiral bind the free rules pdf and your faction index is probably the answer here. Not sure what the impetus is to buy GW’s card packs or rulebook, other than the endorphins of buying stuff, or, or course, if it came bundled with your Leviathan box anyway.

50 minutes ago, The Spitehorde said:

I feel sorry for the FLGS that will have to buy the bundles. They're going to be left with an awful lot of cards for the factions that aren't big sellers.

If thats the case then it feels like that thats GW justifying print runs

If theyre sold to us rubes as bundles Im surprised by the low prices tbh. Makes some sense for marine ones

1 hour ago, The Spitehorde said:

My FLGS has over 1k in the 9e cards that never sold.

I joked that he should use them as kindling for the 4th of July party

Edited by Gederas