The recent purchases/hauls/"Oh god I spent more money on toy soldiers" thread

Evil Eye
Go to solution Solved by Brother Carpenter,

I didn't see another thread like this (my apologies if I missed it, mods please merge/edit as needed if I did) so anyway- what little plastic/pewter/resin space men have you bought recently?

Myself I managed to snag a classic standard bearer for the princely sum of £15!

image.thumb.jpeg.eb6dd05874e059a361f147cd9032bb68.jpeg

Planning on building a diorama with him and some other Astartes fighting to the last against a horde of Tyranids. Now I'm pondering getting more pewter power armour pals...oh dear.

Anyway, what have you been buying lately? Over to you!

I have slowed my purchases now, but I have been on quite a buy the cool shiny thing like some sort of adhd fuelled warhammer magpie for the past year. 

My last pickup was 2 boxes of escher gangers, an escher weapons set and one box of deathmaidens and wildrunners. These were puchased based on the wildly improbable yet surely I will pull it off assumption that they will eventually turn from grey plastic collecting dust into 2  10 man squads of astra miltarum infantry along with a command squad and either a castellan or counts as lady creed officer person.

Only time will tell in the end, but a man can dream.

I placed an order for an AdMech patrol and an Extermination Maniple box on a Flgs webstore. The whole package at 40 percent discount vs. GW catalog prices thanks to seasons sales...

Waiting to receive it atm.

The Maniple was more of an opportunistic buy. But it will complete the force I am mustering, although I was more aiming at  Knight or Serberys plus Pteraxii initialy. But this will be for a latter (latter) stage.

This year I got Soulshackle, Ashes of Faith, the Tyrannic War Crusade book and a bunch of White Dwarves.

There are a lot of kill teams I want to buy- Novitiates, Kroot, Pathfinders, Breachers and a second box each of Arbites, Kriegers, Inquisition and Corsairs.

I'm torn about Deathwatch- I really wanted to finish my 9th ed. Proteus, Fortis and Indomitor Kill Teams, but now that you can't combat squad, I'm not sure whether I'll finish the army or not- the original concept is no longer viable.

There's some Necromunda too- Eschers and Redemptionists. I want the Cargo 8 and couple trailers too... But this is a longshot- too rich for me I think.

How much of this I end up buying remains to be seen- I've slowed down a lot since '21, and I need to keep it that way.

Most recently I expanded on my box and a half of Leviathan models with a pair of Tervigon/Tyrannofex kits, a Hive Tyrant and some Zoanthropes. With a bit of milliput, blue stuff and 3d printed parts I managed to get an extra unit of Venomthropes and a Swarmlord out of those kits too so I beat the system, right?

Right?!

My big purchases lately have gone to other things -- the BattleTech Kickstarter and a new Conquest army -- but having dramatically reduced my CSM pile of shame in recent years I have now been slowly building it back up.  After I'm done with my Iron Hands pledge for Call to Arms, I have some Legionaries, a Warpsmith, a Helbrute, a Lord Disco, and a squad of Havocs I can work on.  So I guess there's that.  Oh, and the Warp Talons I never finished.

On 8/14/2023 at 6:00 PM, Evil Eye said:

I didn't see another thread like this (my apologies if I missed it, mods please merge/edit as needed if I did) so anyway- what little plastic/pewter/resin space men have you bought recently?

Myself I managed to snag a classic standard bearer for the princely sum of £15!

image.thumb.jpeg.eb6dd05874e059a361f147cd9032bb68.jpeg

Planning on building a diorama with him and some other Astartes fighting to the last against a horde of Tyranids. Now I'm pondering getting more pewter power armour pals...oh dear.

Anyway, what have you been buying lately? Over to you!

always liked the ultramarine honour guard, nice details and the banner was always epic

1 hour ago, Iron Father Ferrum said:

My big purchases lately have gone to other things -- the BattleTech Kickstarter and a new Conquest army -- but having dramatically reduced my CSM pile of shame in recent years I have now been slowly building it back up.  After I'm done with my Iron Hands pledge for Call to Arms, I have some Legionaries, a Warpsmith, a Helbrute, a Lord Disco, and a squad of Havocs I can work on.  So I guess there's that.  Oh, and the Warp Talons I never finished.

Which Conquest army?

11 hours ago, Tyrannicide said:

I went on a tear last week and bought a box of Kasrkin, Blooded, Shock Troops, and Jakhals. Just mortal things.

Add it to the pile of grey.

Any conversion ideas for those, or are all those to be built as intended?

I’ve honestly been pretty conservative this year. Besides the Seraphon army and a metal Tehenuhuan box, the only purchases I’ve made so far have been things that were always on my list but we’re getting discontinued. Most notably this is the old Necron combat patrol (I wanted a croissant and everything else was a nice bonus) and the AoS elf phoenix (I’m gonna copy other people and kitbash it with a Heldrake)

Edited by sitnam

My last purchase was Leviathan, a box that I resisted all that I could to avoid buying. Not because it is a bad deal or anything, but because I haven’t finished Indomitus and all the stuff I bought to my favorite faction: the Imperial Guard. I can’t buy more, I have to finish what I have

That being said, certain Imperial knight is looking me everyday… and I have the feeling it is getting closer 

Over the summer I’ve purchased the following:

-5 secondhand lyrchguard with sword n board to fill out my squad (this is the closest I’ve ever come to meta chasing, Necrons just can’t do MSU this edition)

- a plasma moritat from a con so I can make Tibor the Warhound from Drop Assault (new project, oops! We’re building a HH force to recreate my army from the game)

- secondhand Dreadnought at con auction

- 4th Ed guard codex

…oh, and a secondhand airbrush set from a dude who was liquidating his entire collection. 

Well, after a long and only briefly broken 9-10 year hiatus since 6th ed (only briefly broken during the index era of 8th) I decided to jump back in, and started where I left off, so far:

- 1 Command Squad Captain

- 1 Librarian

- 1 Assault Squad

- 1 Devastator Squad + 2 additional Grav-Cannons

- Roboute Guilliman

- Many bits to use up pieces in the old bits box to create more options for squads.

It's safe to say I'm glad I did, with three of the listed kits now no longer in production, so I'll have the versatile demi-company I was intending to finish a long time ago. It may not be the most competitive army due to being all firstborn, but there are many little conversions in it, many hours put in to building and painting it, so even if it never wins again it'll be a force I'm happy with and can use in old editions if needs be.

Got a bit carried in the Imperial Fists section of the Forgeworld website today.

MkVI Librarian Consul

Imperial Fists Decurion Sagittar

Evander Garrius

The new micro Terminator Praetor (to go with the original titan-sized one I’ve already got)

EDIT - The filthy witch in MkVI is for the Alpha Legion. For some reason, FW have painted a Librarian in Imperial Fists colours.

No filthy psykers in this man’s VII Legion!

Edited by Sky Potato
Disassociating my Fists from the witch :D