The recent purchases/hauls/"Oh god I spent more money on toy soldiers" thread

Evil Eye
Go to solution Solved by Brother Carpenter,

Well I just ordered the company heroes kit, terminator kit, terminator chaplain kit, sternguard kit, jump captain kit and 2 jump intercessor kits.

More than I had planned to do at first. But I'm also thinking of unloading some prior models to balance it a bit.

Still, ooof, pricey.

Despite having a space marine combat patrol still to build (well, the infiltrators and lieutenant), plus half the marine side of Leviathan (no idea what I’m

doing with the Nids), I happened across a Scions of Macragge box from last year at a local book shop. 20% off marked price (for all their GW stuff).

I have so much to build and paint since returning to the hobby, but as an Ultramarine player, it’s too good of a box to turn down, especially at a discount. 

5 hours ago, Halandaar said:

Sprung for the Company Heroes, Terminator Chaplain, 2 boxes of Terminators and 2 boxes of Sternguard. Figured I'd wait on the Jump Pack guys to see if that battleforce rumour pans out. 

We ordered the exact same thing.  :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, Halandaar said:

Sprung for the Company Heroes, Terminator Chaplain, 2 boxes of Terminators and 2 boxes of Sternguard. Figured I'd wait on the Jump Pack guys to see if that battleforce rumour pans out. 

Debated if I should have done the same. In the end I decided i wanted my things now so i got them anyway

Ordered the Mechanicus Elimination Maniple and Omnissiah's Talon for just a bit over $400USD for both. A steal compared to the contents separately even though it only builds a bit over $1k of an army.

Only think I lament out of it is that perhaps it should have been two different paychecks instead of the same one.

With our casualty loss finally over, we have been putting the house back together and we filled a 8' tall, 4' wide book case packed very tightly with some of my to do pile (it is not three feet from where I am sitting now).  I still have seven Realm of Battle tiles, enough jungle bases to cover a 4'x8' table (CD sized so they can be swapped out for a flat disc for playability), loads of assorted terrain to cover as much area again, a large cabinet full of WIP minis, and enough 40K books and White Dwarf magazines to fill a bookcase. 

So have I bought more stuff?  The common sense answer is yes I have and I plan to buy more. I can plow through things fairly quickly once I get my paint/hobby supply rack together.  While right now I literally have a to do pile towering over me, I feel like it is a reasonable wall of hobby once I can get started on it after a few more rooms are put back in order.

I recently ordered 1/35 Bailey bridge from Bronco Models that I am looking forward to building and covering in skulls and aquilas, even if it is smaller than I had thought.  A Spartan without the sponsons will scrape against the panels and I know if I widen the deck to fit then the configuration will be insufficient as the model is a double-double and to look right it needs another three kits to completely change the design to bear the load of a Spartan.  No one else I play will notice or be bothered, but I do know how to build a Bailey bridge so this will have to be limited to Rhinos or every time I look at the simple solution of a plasticard widened deck will bother me.  The US Army M2 Bailey Bridge training kit would have been perfect, but you just don't walk into your local hobby store to pick one up.  Actually, you generally do not pick up the entire kit, but lift one case of the kit at a time.  Plus I think those are 1/6 scale, which would make it considerably larger and a perfect centerpiece of a game spanning two large tables, making me really want one of those.

So long story short (too late), I may be buying another three Bronco Bailey bridge kits for adding a bridge to my terrain collection.

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Redcomet said:

145£ for an old magazine :biggrin:

I was a sub for years (and am again), and with a collection a little under 200 issues I decided a while ago I might try for a complete collection. Last night I took a bit of a jump on that! xD

It's a reasonable price for the issue/condition, from what I've seen. Had to talk myself down from thinking about a #1 at £550, which I definitely can't afford!

Well GW didn’t send me the MkIII & Deredeo Battleforce box today despite them giving themselves a 2 week pre-order window. They haven’t even processed the order.

Jokes on them, I walked into town and got a copy from my FLGS. I’ll probably keep the GW order whenever they deign to dispatch it to me as well - that’ll show ‘em!

6 hours ago, pawl said:

I was a sub for years (and am again), and with a collection a little under 200 issues I decided a while ago I might try for a complete collection. Last night I took a bit of a jump on that! xD

It's a reasonable price for the issue/condition, from what I've seen. Had to talk myself down from thinking about a #1 at £550, which I definitely can't afford!

Would be interested to see what's in it?! 

Back on Thursday I picked up my Astartes Battlebox and Terminator Chaplain for my local GW.

Popped in today and got a mouldline removal tool for Junior. 

While I was their I collected my Store Anniversary Votann,  Kharadon Admiral and pin badges I had ordered. 

As a bonus, for 40years of Warhammer I was gifted three art cards of the RT and two Chaos books. 

Incoming are another Battlebox, some Deffkoptas, the Anniversary Votann model (even though I got the store version) and an RT hardback.

And I think that will be me for done a bit. 

12 hours ago, pawl said:

I have most issues up until they split the magazine into two so I can understand that feeling.  Doubly so since I also have every issue of National Geographic since mid-1915 and then it fractures back to 1898.  When you see those gaps in your magazine shelf it is a very tough thing to just walk away.  That is exactly why Odysseus had his crew tie him to the mast. 

22 hours ago, legoman said:

Would be interested to see what's in it?! 

There will be pictures, don't worry! =D

16 hours ago, FashaTheDog said:

I have most issues up until they split the magazine into two so I can understand that feeling.  Doubly so since I also have every issue of National Geographic since mid-1915 and then it fractures back to 1898.  When you see those gaps in your magazine shelf it is a very tough thing to just walk away.  That is exactly why Odysseus had his crew tie him to the mast. 

Exactly! xD after a certain point it feels as though it makes more sense to complete it than to not. That's my excuse, anyway!