Warhammer Preview - NOVA Open 2023

Just now, sitnam said:

I  don’t know of any official Fulgrim artwork past the Heresy

In that case maybe, just maybe, they're planning to have Fulgrim change appearance a bunch between HH and 40k, thus making an eventual 40k mini match with his later timeline appearance, so they're giving us this now because they're gonna change him up soon?

Other than that, why release basically an exact copy what you're gonna release in plastic in a couple of years now in resin?

Just now, Indy Techwisp said:

In that case maybe, just maybe, they're planning to have Fulgrim change appearance a bunch between HH and 40k, thus making an eventual 40k mini match with his later timeline appearance, so they're giving us this now because they're gonna change him up soon?

Other than that, why release basically an exact copy what you're gonna release in plastic in a couple of years now in resin?

He’s a daemon. Changing his appearance is in his will house. As I stated earlier, Guilliman and the Lion both changed their appearance without ascending to anything

1 minute ago, sitnam said:

He’s a daemon. Changing his appearance is in his will house. As I stated earlier, Guilliman and the Lion both changed their appearance without ascending to anything

They got Old.
Daemons don't really got old.

(Yes I know Guilliman was in stasis, but he's clearly got older)

Primaris look fine, Sternguard are the biggest winners for me followed by the new Command Squad. I am kind of surprised they didn't make the jump packs and new weapons an upgrade sprue for the existing Assault Intercessor kits since there's been the option of running them on foot for ages now. Mk. III looks good, although for those frater who enjoy the current banded armor look I'm sorry it didn't make the transition to plastic. Deredeo is a very faithful port to plastic - no lascannons is kind of sad though.

Fulgrim is gorgeous, if someone doesn't win a Golden Demon with him next year I'll be astonished. The detail level they got with that sculpt is fantastic.

Edited by Mr. Oddity
Grammar is hard sometimes

16 minutes ago, Aarik said:

Another thing I noticed from the video is that the new Mk. III no longer have the overlapping armor plates on the back of their legs.  Perhaps unsurprisingly, but still disappointingly, they have the same flat, segmented armor panels that Fafnir Rann has.  Probably a result of plastic mould limitations, but a bummer to me.  And I wonder if that is the direction that GW takes if/when they eventually make plastic Mk. II too.  Hopefully not, but you never know.  

Could also be a handwave away like the old kit being non-production MkIII where you take a suit of MkII and staple an upgrade kit plates on it, while the new kit is production MkIII.

28 minutes ago, Indy Techwisp said:

I actually think they're gonna just delete Emperor's Children from 40k at this point.

Why put Daemon Fulgrim, with his current design into HH when it's gonna cause confusion with the 40k version down the line?
The only other EC unit in 40k with a mini is Lucias and his mini isn't available anymore and the Noise Marines are an upgrade sprue to basic marines.

Since "No Model, no rules" is a thing still, they could just be axing them all together and putting Daemon Fulgrim in HH just so he HAS a mini at all...

While I don't think I'm as cynical as you.. I can't help but feel you hit the nail on the head.

So we're going to have Angron, Mortarion, Magnus, and eventually Fulgrim in 40k plastic, and then each of them is going to receive their own ascended/transfigured versions in 30k as well? Big. Weird. 

I'm just thankful 30k is established so we don't run into the endless loop that happened with "firstborn" legacy marines and primaris =P

Also thankful that 30k as a community will be more accepting of/allowing of players using the models they want when it comes to these characters than people would allow in 40k...

5 minutes ago, Mr. Oddity said:

Fulgrim is gorgeous, if someone doesn't win a Golden Demon with him next year I'll be astonished. The detail level they got with that sculpt is fantastic.

Assuming it releases this year, Daemon Fulgrim can feasibly win this years miniature of the year and win again once ther 40k version comes out, which seems... excessive.

2 minutes ago, Bloody Legionnaire said:

Also thankful that 30k as a community will be more accepting of/allowing of players using the models they want when it comes to these characters than people would allow in 40k...

my experience of HH was the opposite.

2 minutes ago, Bloody Legionnaire said:

While I don't think I'm as cynical as you.. I can't help but feel you hit the nail on the head.

So we're going to have Angron, Mortarion, Magnus, and eventually Fulgrim in 40k plastic, and then each of them is going to receive their own ascended/transfigured versions in 30k as well? Big. Weird. 

I'm just thankful 30k is established so we don't run into the endless loop that happened with "firstborn" legacy marines and primaris =P

At some point I'm gonna use my TSons army as a 30k list and say they messed up a Time Travel spell and went back too far.

15 minutes ago, Daylight said:

Looks like the Mk. III armor has the back part of the legs (the non uparmored sections that are supposed to be Mk. II) similar to the Rann model. Hope this doesn’t mean that Mk. II armor loses its signature overlapping look. Overall love that Iron armor is going to be properly proportioned now, but not sure how I feel about every helmet having a spike since I associate those more with Death Guard specifically. I feel the new design will grow on me though. 

67AAA4EE-7E71-4B5C-B61A-6C5514C43E57.jpeg

The bolters look wrong. Why do they look wrong? 

The powerfist, pistol, pouches, vexila, and many of the bareheads are the same as from the mark VI sprue. That's incredibly disappointing. I didn't like the powerfist on mark VI, I don't like it on these either. 

My first reaction to the mark 3 is to pull away and go 'eugh', but I think it might grow on me over time. Dunno. 

Oh also it looks like we lost mono-visors from the mark 3 helms.

1 minute ago, JayJapanB said:

Kinda surprised they can't do the overlapping plates. 

Plastic MKIII as well as all the 40k deathguard have it.

Oh yeah, that's a great point!  I didn't think of that.  I wonder if it makes a difference that almost all the DG models have some sort of a tabard -- potentially obscuring any otherwise problematic angles for the armor plates.

3 minutes ago, Blindhamster said:

my experience of HH was the opposite.

Don't get me wrong, I understand being true to the fluff and setting and I am 100% on board with it, buuttt... You cannot tell me that the transfigured/ascended daemon primarchs are going to be so different from the 40k counterparts. 

Mortarion may need to trim a few nurglings off the model to look most in setting, but I don't see that being an issue *IF* they are being played with the ascended/transfigured rules. 

In terms of daemon primarchs and period looks, they don't have them. Or they shouldn't.

They're daemons; they look how they want to and have always existed as soon as they're created. When daemon fulgrim gets recruited in slaves to darkness the siege has already happened; mortarion already knows about guillimans return in lords of silence. Daemon fulgrim can carry all the classic imagery he wants. 

Also the model is genuinely good, though I do worry for the wings and weapons in transit 

3 minutes ago, Aarik said:

Oh yeah, that's a great point!  I didn't think of that.  I wonder if it makes a difference that almost all the DG models have some sort of a tabard -- potentially obscuring any otherwise problematic angles for the armor plates.

I guess that depends on how they break up the models. Deathshroud have individual legs, and the plague marines have a mix of full leg sets, as well as some cut at the knees, and some have a leg separate. They just do them case by case.

Here it is hard to tell what the sticking point is. 

Thought about the scouts -  we’ve heard rumors that the next kill team box will be scouts vs striking scorpions. Each box has generally had a bespoke team and a team of existing models with a new sprue, and before this reveal it seemed like both teams would be brand new models. With this reveal it seems the scouts will be the team with the new sprue; makes the rumors seem even more likely IMO

5 minutes ago, Daylight said:

Thought about the scouts -  we’ve heard rumors that the next kill team box will be scouts vs striking scorpions. Each box has generally had a bespoke team and a team of existing models with a new sprue, and before this reveal it seemed like both teams would be brand new models. With this reveal it seems the scouts will be the team with the new sprue; makes the rumors seem even more likely IMO

The very first box in each season tends to be 2 brand new kits tho.

IMO that rumour the other day that someone thought they say Catachans vs Eldar might be right after all...

Since there was no KillTeam revealed, no mention of the Scouts being a KillTeam Team and the current Striking Scorpions are very old.

Edited by Indy Techwisp

1 minute ago, Indy Techwisp said:

IMO that rumour the other day that someone thought they say Catachans vs Eldar might be right after all...

I had the exact same thought.  Unless they decide to change the KT format, I feel pretty certain the next season will start with a big box like Into the Dark and Octarius with two new teams.

That is, unless the change the format. They've done it with Warcry, although that is a less popular game (and it shouldn't be)

4 minutes ago, Indy Techwisp said:

Since there was no KillTeam revealed, no mention of the Scouts being a KillTeam Team and the current Striking Scorpions are very old.

I'd love to see some Catachans, and new Striking Scorpions. Hoping we eventually get some love for the Vostroyans.

42 minutes ago, Daylight said:

Looks like the Mk. III armor has the back part of the legs (the non uparmored sections that are supposed to be Mk. II) similar to the Rann model. Hope this doesn’t mean that Mk. II armor loses its signature overlapping look. Overall love that Iron armor is going to be properly proportioned now, but not sure how I feel about every helmet having a spike since I associate those more with Death Guard specifically. I feel the new design will grow on me though. 

67AAA4EE-7E71-4B5C-B61A-6C5514C43E57.jpeg

Mark 2 didn't so much lose it's signature look as go back to the original armour through the ages design. They have been taking alot of retro stuff for the new heresy it's not as archaic looking but it's better for designing in plastic just be glad mark 2 won't have the bolted to the neck fixed helmets from ancient lore.

4 minutes ago, Indy Techwisp said:

Striking Scorpions seem to me like an odd choice for kill team. What they might do is to release a box set similar to Pariah Nexus with Karandras leading a squad of Striking Scorpions and Scouts with Captain in Phobos Armour and lot of Eldar terrain.