Potential Codex Space Marine Leaks

I have been running Heavy Intercessors pretty heavily in 10th.  That toughness 6 doesn’t go anywhere near as far as you would think.  That 3+ save and no invulnerable save hurts.  I am saying this to really say be careful with them, Gravis NEED a way to get up the board, don’t rely on toughness, I have just picked up entire Gravis squads and sometimes multiple Gravis Squads in a single phase.

2 hours ago, The4thHorseman said:

Anywhere I can just read the information?

Goonhammer's review is up. I can't promise it's an exhaustive list of all changes from the index but it's quite in depth.

https://www.goonhammer.com/codex-space-marines-10th-edition-the-goonhammer-review/#

2 hours ago, The4thHorseman said:

Edited by Cactus

3 hours ago, OrkPlayer137 said:

A few things I have seen in Youtube reviews - I was mostly focusing on things that affect firstborn or Terminators:

• Jump Pack Chaplain still present with all options, even though the Blood Angels model is the only one remaining for sale.
  • Terminator Chaplain lost the combi-weapon option.

Jump pack chaplain keeping all the options might imply a new model on the way? 

Terminator chaplain losing combi weapon is a bit annoying for anyone who picked up the Warhammer Day mini, as that came with a combi-flamer. 

1 hour ago, Orange Knight said:

I think the Aggressors have overtaken the Terminators again.

3 things to consider:

1: The WS of Aggressors went up to 3+ with their Power Fists.

2: They have the Twin Linked rule in close combat.

3: They have better shooting.

Obviously they aren't quite as durable, but they are now a lot more offensively reliable. I think they are one of the big winners from the infantry in the codex, especially following the Oath nerf. Terminators were also hit with a nerfed "Fury of the First" rule.

I don't know why but I always think terminators should be bs2 for shooting and melee (2 for sword and 3 for power fist). 

19 minutes ago, Subtleknife said:

I don't know why but I always think terminators should be bs2 for shooting and melee (2 for sword and 3 for power fist). 

Only if all veterans were, terminators are no more veteran than anyone else in 1st company 

43 minutes ago, irlLordy said:

Terminator chaplain losing combi weapon is a bit annoying for anyone who picked up the Warhammer Day mini, as that came with a combi-flamer. 

No, it simply means you are supposed to use the old Firstborn model, unlike with the other characters which have been replaced by the Primaris counterpart.

4 hours ago, OrkPlayer137 said:

A few things I have seen in Youtube reviews - I was mostly focusing on things that affect firstborn or Terminators:

• Jump Pack Captain still has thunder hammer and storm shield option, even though it's not in the kit! This is what surprised me most.

I expect him to lose it, I'd not dare convert.

Terminator Chaplain lost the combi-weapon option.

Hilariously invalidating the previous Chaplain model. Good job, GW.

Most TACTICUS characters can join firstborn squads now where relevant.

That's curious, wonder if I can squeeze them into firstborn crusader squads as well in BT.

3 hours ago, Orange Knight said:

I haven't seen a full rundown yet, unfortunately. I'll keep looking. 

It's clear that GW have put restrictions on influencers and what they can and can't show. We used to get videos on pre order day of every page in the codex...

Edit:

As I was typing this I was watching the video, and have just seen confirmation that several Ultramarine characters have simply been retired from the codex!

I can imagine a similar fate for the niche heroes of other chapters as well.

We know all the units and characters in the book from a video GW released some days ago, the only ones not in the book are Telion, Chronus and Cassius.

Cassius can be explained by a new model down the line, Telion and Chronus though may have been axed for good.

Wait, Pedro also got the Tacticus keyword? Are you telling me that GW finally has voted for Pedro and he's getting a new Primaris model? Now THAT goes into my shopping list.

Pedro leading the new Company Heros, the one with the mechanical arm converted to look like Cortez, I can already picture it in my mind.

Edited by mecanojavi99

1 hour ago, irlLordy said:

Also read that terminator captains lost shields, hammers and claws. This is very annoying and awful from their part!

1 hour ago, mecanojavi99 said:

We know all the units and characters in the book from a video GW released some days ago, the only ones not in the book are Telion, Chronus and Cassius.

Cassius can be explained by a new model down the line, Telion and Chronus though may have been axed for good.

Cassius I think they're permanently moving to Deathwatch. The other two were sergeants, and I suspect the rule of thumb for them staying will be their 'rank' in the Chapter structure.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

2 hours ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

Cassius I think they're permanently moving to Deathwatch. The other two were sergeants, and I suspect the rule of thumb for them staying will be their 'rank' in the Chapter structure.

Why would Cassius, the Master of Sanctity of the Ultramarines, be permanently in the Deathwatch?

Not to mention that Deathwatch Cassius is a past younger version of him, previous to the entire Primaris events.

The most likely outcome is that he'll get a new Primaris model down the line or that he has been killed, which would honestly be quite welcome, it has been a while someone important was killed.

7 hours ago, arnesh88 said:

I'm excited that they changed Adrax Agatone back to being able to join Bladeguard Veterans.

Which is good, because my Bladeguard already have plenty of Agrax Earthshade on them, the more the merrier. 

Losing Telion sucks beyond belief. Staple of my lists going way back. Did tactical squads really need to lose their fall back and shoot in order to gain combat squads? Company Hero's can't attach an Apothecary? Sternguard lost Bolter Drill for Sternguard Focus... Dissapointing I liked them cuase they were good at putting damage on things that weren't the Oath target.

There's a definite feeling that this book was written assuming marines would be wayyyy stronger than they actually turned out to be. Like they'd really have to dial back oaths to balance the new detachments, and that stuff like sternguard double shoot, terminator +1 to hit and the speeder -1 to armour were "too good" and needed to be adjusted.

But those unit nerfs feel really unnecessary, and super bad for the sternguard in particular. Like hurray, you previously rerolled everything during oaths and could double tap; now you can reroll 1s to wound during oaths. Making sure people won't take them competitively now seeing as they were barely taken before.

So I was expecting what everyone that defended the nerf to OoM was saying which was for that power to be spread to other places, so where is it? Because the datasheets barely changed, the detachments seem fun but nothing great so where is the thing that will offset the nerf? So far I see nothing but a midttier faction with a worse rule than their index and that means they will struggle with index armies, was that the goal?

I'd like to hear what everyone that defended the OoM nerf to tell me what I'm missing regarding the distribution of power in the codex or how kneecapping a middling faction is a good thing.

4 hours ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

Yep nothing but nerfs, lost options and dropped units. New detachments mostly requiring specific army builds and actually better in non compliant marine armies. Bravo Gw.

I think this codex, in a vacuum, is pretty good.

Lots of play-styles. Good variety. Cleaned up a lot of units and redundancy. Internal balance looks decent at a glance, etc.

But it doesn't exist in a vacuum, and it will not stack up against some index armies as they currently stand. It's pretty wild that it's nerfing a faction that can't even hit 50% win rate, and it will not help with the balance of the game.

28 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

I think this codex, in a vacuum, is pretty good.

Lots of play-styles. Good variety. Cleaned up a lot of units and redundancy. Internal balance looks decent at a glance, etc.

But it doesn't exist in a vacuum, and it will not stack up against some index armies as they currently stand. It's pretty wild that it's nerfing a faction that can't even hit 50% win rate, and it will not help with the balance of the game.

I think it's pretty hard evidence the pay to play codex cycle definitely doesn't work anymore especially in constantly updated tournement focused environment. At the very least they could have delayed the development of the codex until the first few rounds of balance updates came in but they didn't do that so that is not worth buying as it is already outdated and will only suffer and it's very likely alot of changes will only get reversed or points will drop to absurd levels to compensate. How the hell do you nerf a codex that was printed before you have any faction data. It boggles the mind.