Codex Space Marine Previews

3 hours ago, KnightofSigismund said:

I kind of expected an article today, wonder what’s up with that if it’s Sunday pre order?

It has been oddly quite this week in general.  It feels like they were going to have a more SM codex articles but something has gone sideways.

Yeah I was expecting an article for every new model and the other half of the detachments and a clarification on whether the divergent chapters will have to buy this or not because as it stands now it seems like as a BT player I have to buy this but they also keep saying we will get our own codex and not a supplement so maybe Im being obtuse but I would like a clear answer to that. I sure as heck wasnt expecting a HH article on Wednesday.  

1 hour ago, redmapa said:

Yeah I was expecting an article for every new model and the other half of the detachments and a clarification on whether the divergent chapters will have to buy this or not because as it stands now it seems like as a BT player I have to buy this but they also keep saying we will get our own codex and not a supplement so maybe Im being obtuse but I would like a clear answer to that. I sure as heck wasnt expecting a HH article on Wednesday.  

A clear answer would be preferred, but if it is anything like the Tyranid book, the Astartes Index disappears. Since Black Templars don't really work with just their Index to play, you'll almost certainly need this.

It is kind of weird that they're releasing the space marines codex the same week as a big narrative thing in AOS, you'd think they'd want to separate them. Whatever delay happened internally that messed with the summer/start of autumn releases must be real bad.

13 hours ago, Lemondish said:

Interesting results from this past weekend of competitive events. Way too soon to come to any solid conclusions based on such limited data, but my confidence that Marines rely on Oaths as a crutch is a tad less structurally sound these days.

That will definitely change once the OoM nerf goes through. Marines and some others are doing well in this short period between balance slate and codex now that the top dogs got nerfed and points were shifted for a fact though the codex is bringing nerfs and not likely any buffs. Different detachments sure but those are based on you having specific builds as well wich you'll have to sink a bunch of money into in order to meta chase if they turn out to actually be better. We are losing powerful units (Our one spotter unit for Whirlwinds, Desolators are trash I don't care about them, and Scout snipers, Assualt Marines, I can garuntee Jump Assualt Intercessors are a pale sad version.) to legends along with those re-rolls so I'm not gonna be optimistic about anything.

Nothing I have seen so far tells me that losing the wound re-rolls won't be a massive blow compared to other army rules. OoM was not that damn strong especially compared to army wide buffs or tagging multiple units with stacking buffs or recycling your units based on a dice roll. I'd say it was a mid tier rule the way it was. The only army rules that are worse then OoM are Shadow in the Warp, Death Guards crappy close range range debuffs and miracle dice. Anyone that called it a crutch must of just sucked cuase Marines weren't winning all that much. Chaos Marines have been doing well this whole time with army wide buff rules and OoM only did anything as long as a unit could reach your target and actually hurt it. It only helps you on your own turn and against 1 unit. I dunno that decision just blows my mind like why did they even include it in the index when the codex was already written. Oh well... Fingers crossed more leaks change my mind.

The general rule-of-thumb for previewing new releases is:

Spoiler

If it it appeared in the Sunday Preview article, it will get that week's WHC article attention. Essentially, we get the rundown on what the new product(s) does in the week leading up to the pre-order

Sunday Preview of Product A

Week of Articles about Product A

Saturday Pre-order for Product A

Sunday Preview for Product B

Week of Articles about Product B

Saturday General Release for Product A + Preorder for Product B

Ad Nauseum

For example, this week's Sunday Preview were the lanky plastic knights and the BB Vampire Team. They've both gotten articles and both go up for pre-order this Saturday for general release next Saturday. 2 weeks ago we had the Sunday Preview for Big Pigs and AoS Campaign book, we got a week of articles about them then Pre-order on Saturday 16th for release this Saturday 23rd

TL:DR, Space Marine wave gets Sunday Preview article this Sunday 24th, we get a week of articles from WHC explaining the codex and the new additions, Next Saturday 30th is Pre-orders, General Release is 7th.

Not getting preview articles this week is totally normal, getting one article is abnormal in fact and likely because they had nothing else to fill it with

18 minutes ago, TrawlingCleaner said:

Not getting preview articles this week is totally normal, getting one article is abnormal in fact and likely because they had nothing else to fill it with

This, or the leak forced their hand a bit and they put out an article to get their own commentary out there as early as possible. 

11 minutes ago, Rune Priest Jbickb said:

This, or the leak forced their hand a bit and they put out an article to get their own commentary out there as early as possible. 

If that was the case they'd have covered the detachments that were leaked rather than offering 2 new ones that actually reinforce the leak.

3 hours ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

I can garuntee Jump Assualt Intercessors are a pale sad version.) to legends along with those re-rolls so I'm not gonna be optimistic about anything.

I think we already have their stats, on current Assault Marines.  They are surprisingly "Primaris" for being a firstborn unit in the Index.

3 hours ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

TlAnyone that called it a crutch must of just sucked cuase Marines weren't winning all that much. Chaos Marines have been doing well this whole time with army wide buff rules and OoM only did anything as long as a unit could reach your target and actually hurt it. It only helps you on your own turn and against 1 unit. 

That's kind of the point - it's rule that feels bad, but Marine players say they need it to remain competitive. From what you also say, however *it isn't even helping that much*. So it seems to have failed on every account, unless you want codex path of moment?

It also lasts through to your next command phase, so usable in overwatch and such. 

3 minutes ago, Sir Clausel said:

Stormlance task force seems very strong !

But fsll back and charge does not feel very white scarsy or bike themed. Or is thst just me?

I think i would rather give them advance and charge + ranged weapons gains assault. That way they are very speedy but cant just keep charging.

Fall back and charge is essentially the old hit and run which was white scarsy... but it can also work fine for jump pack heavy RG and BA :)

And that's really why the detachments are representing basic army archetypes and not named after specific chapters ;)

16 minutes ago, Sir Clausel said:

But fsll back and charge does not feel very white scarsy or bike themed. Or is thst just me?

I think i would rather give them advance and charge + ranged weapons gains assault. That way they are very speedy but cant just keep charging.

It's hard to separate fall back from retreat, but it's being utilized in these formations more like a wheeling charge or a drive-by melee.

Stormlance is just exactly what I wanted until new BA codex drops :furious:

STRIKE FROM THE SKIES BROTHERS! :biggrin:

13 minutes ago, DemonGSides said:

It's hard to separate fall back from retreat, but it's being utilized in these formations more like a wheeling charge or a drive-by melee.

You also gotta be careful there’s a lot of units out here now that punish you for attempting to fall back, so I find that particular point a bit situational 

Shadow Masters seems good... Suspiciously so. Didn't they nerf a much weaker version of that?

Now it's back to 12" and it affects vehicles? 

Seriously though, this makes me want to start collecting RG again because I can field actual vehicles now!

2 hours ago, Sir Clausel said:

But they gave them both...

Edit: misunderstood you were giving the a different second not wishing for advance and charge instead of the curren. My confusion, my bad.

Edited by Rune Priest Jbickb