Codex Space Marine Previews

22 minutes ago, OrkPlayer137 said:

The artwork for the Stormlance Detachment seems to show powerswords instead of chainswords on the Outriders. Maybe there will be a full mutipart kit with more options soon.

They're Chainswords, most likely styled after the ones in the white scars upgrade kit.

12 hours ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

Assualt Marines, I can garuntee Jump Assualt Intercessors are a pale sad version

They're getting the same special rule as the index Assault Squad with JP. They'll probably be exactly the same except without the options for flamer, plasmagun, meltagun, and eviscerator. Is the lack of those four options what you were referring to?

1 hour ago, MaximusTL said:

i really wish that jump pack intercessors had an eviscerator in the kit. giving them a 'heavy' weapon would have made such a big difference.

I agree, at least the Sergeant can take a power sword or fist and there is a pistol option so it is not quite mono-loadout.

20 hours ago, Sir Clausel said:

But fsll back and charge does not feel very white scarsy or bike themed. Or is thst just me?

Their special character gave hit and run to his unit in 5th, it was literally their army rule through 6th and 7th, and was a bonus of their premiere detachment in 1st HH. One of their mantras of warfare in the novels is "withdraw, then return".

It might just be you and anyone only familiar with 8th-9th.

2 hours ago, Angelus Nex said:

I like the "Imperial Fists" detachement. Curieus abortus all the strategems, enhancements and some datasheet changes.

I'm wondering if there's going to be limited ways to count as remaining stationary to get the bonuses even if you need a unit to stay mobile.

56 minutes ago, Lemondish said:

I'm wondering if there's going to be limited ways to count as remaining stationary to get the bonuses even if you need a unit to stay mobile.

I'd guess yes. Gladius has strats enabling full use of a doctrine rule that would otherwise be unavailable. Stormlance preview material has a strat that's basically an improved version of one of the close-combat oriented Gladius strats, so there should be something similar with the shooting-oriented Gladius strat in the Anvilus Siege Force.

As to the rerolls to wound …. only because I didn’t really see it addressed ….

Anything twin linked gets to wound rerolls.  So

Aggressors and Inceptors are awesome with OoM and Eradicators are just great period when shooting st what they should be shooting at ie Vehicles and Monsters, both of which are in abundance recently. 

I’m waiting for the Codex to get a full look at other twin linked weapons but playing almost all Gravis Marines those popped out to me right away. 

9 hours ago, Dracos said:

As to the rerolls to wound …. only because I didn’t really see it addressed ….

Anything twin linked gets to wound rerolls.

^100%. Just looking for what I consider meaningful sources of rerolls (for example, leaving out stuff that just has a TL-bolter or two in addition to their other weapons)

• Assault Intercessors - Reroll wounds of 1, full reroll vs units on objectives.
  • Lieutenant w/Combi-Weapon - Priority Target gives a 6" aura for rerolling wounds of 1 when the targeting a unit on the chosen objective.
  • Primaris Company Champion - Reroll to wound vs characters.
  • Aggressors - All weapons are twin-linked except fragstorm launchers.
  • Terminator Assault Squad - TL Lightning Claws.
  • Assault Centurions - All weapons are twin-linked. [Brief aside: if the Vanguard can pull sneakiness with them, I want to see gilly suit conversions]
  • Devastator Centurions - Heavy bolter and lascannon arm options are twin-linked, bolter chest option is twin-linked.
  • Invictor Tactical Warsuit - Autocannon and heavy stubber are both twin-linked.
  • Brutalis Dreadnought - All weapons (and weapon options) are twin-linked.
  • Outriders - TL Bolt Rifles.
  • Inceptors - All ranged weapons are twin-linked.
  • Storm Speeder Thunderstrike - Twin Icarus Rocket Pod is twin-linked (D3 attacks w/Anti-Fly 2+).
  • Eradicators - Reroll wounds vs Monsters and Vehicles.
  • Firestrike Turret - All ranged weapons are twin-linked.
  • Predator Annihilator - Predator lascannon is twin-linked.
  • Gladiator Lancer - Can reroll one wound roll when resolving its attacks, presumably going to be used on the main gun.
  • Gladiator Reaper - Twin heavy onslaught gatling cannon is twin-linked.
  • Gladiator Valiant - Twin las-talon is twin-linked.
  • Land Raider Crusader - Hurricane bolters and the assault cannon are twin-linked.
  • Razorback - All turret weapons are twin-linked.
  • Stormhawk - Stormcannon, assault cannon, and heavy bolter are twin-linked.
  • Stormtalon - Skyhammer, assault cannon, heavy bolter, and lascannon are twin-linked.
  • Stormraven - All weapons except the stormstrike and typhoon are twin-linked.
  • Hammerfall Bunker - Both array weapon options are twin-linked.

Chapter Specific

• Marneus Calgar  - Gauntlets of Ultramar are twin-linked for both shooting and melee.
  • Sergeant Chronus - Can reroll one wound roll when selected to shoot while in a vehicle.
  • Kayvaan Shrike - The Raven's Talons are twin-linked.
  • Adrax Agatone - His unit can reroll wounds in melee.
  • Vulkan He'stan - Grants rerolls to wound for Torrent and Melta weapons against an enemy unit chosen in the shooting phase.
  • Ravenwing Talonmaster - All ranged weapons are twin-linked.
  • Ravenwing Land Speeder Vengeance - Plasma Storm Battery is twin-linked.
  • Ulrik the Slayer - Can select a unit he's in melee with and grants his unit reroll 1s to wound against it, full rerolls if targeting a Character, Monster, or Vehicle (also applies to hit rolls).
  • Canis Wolfborn - Wolf Claws are twin-linked (those are his weapon, not to be confused with Crushing Teeth and Claws).
  • Murderfang - The Murderclaws are twin-linked.
  • Stormfang - The multimelta and heavy bolter options are twin-linked.
  • Stormwolf - All ranged weapons are twin-linked, except the skyhammer.
  • Space Wolves Venerable Dreadnought - has a 6" aura granting reroll 1s to wound.
  • Baal Predator - The assault cannon is twin-linked.
  • Death Company Dreadnought - Both melee weapon options are twin-linked.
  • Furioso Dreadnought - Blood Talons and Twin-Furioso Fists melee options are twin-linked.

2 hours ago, Malakithe said:

GW: There will be less rerolls in 10th!

Also GW: Lets put twin-linked on everything and give everyone abilities for rerolls!

Yup.

I'd love to see the complete and genuine death of rerolls.

More creative rules would be appreciated. Rerolls are too easy to dish out and have too big an impact.

7 hours ago, 01RTB01 said:

More creative rules would be appreciated. Rerolls are too easy to dish out and have too big an impact.

When they first started previewing 10th and showed stuff like Termagants getting their d6" move ability - yeah, that's great. And then we got Oath, and Legionaries, and Pain Tokens and...so many other abilities that are just rerolls with some of them being situationally activated, it's pretty disappointing. Some rerolls abilities sprinkled in? Sure, like you get reroll 1s to hit against enemies on objectives for something like Assault Intercessors, or reroll 1s to wound enemies below starting strength for Flayed Ones or something sure but we've gotten so many reroll abilities.

3 hours ago, Kallas said:

When they first started previewing 10th and showed stuff like Termagants getting their d6" move ability - yeah, that's great. And then we got Oath, and Legionaries, and Pain Tokens and...so many other abilities that are just rerolls with some of them being situationally activated, it's pretty disappointing. Some rerolls abilities sprinkled in? Sure, like you get reroll 1s to hit against enemies on objectives for something like Assault Intercessors, or reroll 1s to wound enemies below starting strength for Flayed Ones or something sure but we've gotten so many reroll abilities.

Space marine index has 106 non chapter specific data sheets, of which 24 involve rerolls, 17 of which are purely because they use twin linked weapons. That really doesn't scream of "all the rerolls" other than twin linked being a thing, and twin linked weapons are overall less deadly than double the shot weapons like we had last edition, so honestly I'm fine with those personally.

So, 7 units have special abilities where it grants rerolls, which really doesn't seem as bad as you suggest, as 99 units have a special rule that isn't "have rerolls"

The issue is, marines have so many units in the first place that rerolls on some is almost inevitable -particularly as twin linked guns has been common on marines forever.

Anecdotally, at least in my group, it does feel like we're spending less time re-rolling (and toeing around and measuring out units to remain in them auras).

Sure, if it's involving a marine army one unit does get roflstomped a turn (much to our knight players chagrin) but that issue did get tuned down with the nerf to Oath (and by the fact that none of our marine players ever take Guilliman).

Then again, this is only anecdotal, other groups may be more cutthroat and take all the re-rolls.

6 hours ago, Nephaston said:

Sure, if it's involving a marine army one unit does get roflstomped a turn (much to our knight players chagrin) but that issue did get tuned down with the nerf to Oath (and by the fact that none of our marine players ever take Guilliman).

I don't know why, but I was kinda prepared for Oaths to be changed without realizing it, because I didn't like how it was so one and done. To address it, my lists always included Eradicators, Gladiators, and Lancers, which could engage NON-Oath targets pretty reliably by still maintaining re-rolls.

Which did feel like I was re-rolling wounds much more often than my opponent, because I had my army take down an Oath target (re-rolling wounds), and my army engaging, if not taking down, one or more non-Oath targets (re-rolling wounds, again). 

Still, felt like I was doing far fewer re-rolls overall, since I didn't have those bubbles applying them across the board.