Updated Mark III + Potential Deredeo

Random whitenames aside, the existing kit has been around for the better part of a decade now; it'll linger on eBay for a while before it goes silly expensive. If you're that desperate for that style of Mark III there'll always be alternative options available (see; inevitable printing remark, Tortuga, etc).

I'm sat on somewhere in the region of thirty or forty unused plastic Mark III at the moment, so I might shift those to someone that's more interested in them. I never got around to using them as most of my old Sons of Horus army is still comprised of the resin Mark III, as I preferred the detailing on that one at least.

11 minutes ago, Astartes Consul said:

Not designed by Forge World... :rolleyes:

Forge World still design the plastic miniatures for the games they are responsible for, afaik; they just pass them over to the team responsible for splitting the designs up for production in plastic. That's been the case for Necromunda at least, and I doubt that's any different for Heresy.

I think overall I like them, they just look very different to what we’ve come to think of as mkIII. The Helmets are an improvement over what came before I’d say. Being the same pose as the mkVI presumably means you can mix and match Boltguns, arms etc. This is great from a personal perspective as I’m using the heresy kits for my 40k Space Marine chapter where mixing different elements of power armour is common place.

Also is it too late to split the different reveals from NOVA into their own topics?

On 4/30/2023 at 11:43 AM, Urauloth said:

These look great, but I don't much like the helmet spikes. Dilutes the 30k Death Guard aesthetic a bit if everyone wears them, and I don't think they're going to look right on some legions.

On the other hand, swap some of those heads out and these will be incredibly good for Badab enthusiasts.

Yeah they don't give a :cuss:. Just like they didn't give a :cuss: when they made mk6 a universal mark despite years of lore saying it was exclusive to Raven Guard and Alpha Legion.

Edited by Tyriks
insult removed

19 hours ago, lansalt said:

It also goes stylistically against 40k minis like the DG range in MkIII, it makes no sense and I fear what they are going to do with MkIV

If you take all the known examples of new mark 4 (characters there's like alot of them, Raldoran, Exodus, Ventanus, Lucius, Sual Tarvitz, and the Ultramarines Preator and the SoH tank commander) then the only big difference in design is likely to be the back pack and it's actually hard to tell it's even different at all. Compare them to the SoH preator that came out at the same time as the Imperial fists one and it's obvious he was also based on an earlier design (likely prototypes for the scale increase) the much slimmer legs that match closer to the FW mark 4 design and you will see the others were based off common proportions and parts. Fatter legs and slight changes to the contours of the backpack.

I can't see GW deviating too far from the work that's already been done there maybe changing the feet and hips to further match the previous two plastic reworks. Granted the examples I gave aren't entirely new they have the old backpack connection points and smaller feet (Ultramarines Preator's though appear closer to the proportions of mk 6 and 3) but they do have alot of features the newer designs have as well little tabs on the sides of the neck below the ears. Ultimately though one needs look no further than the SoH tank commander. So I geuss don't worry about mark 4? lol

6 hours ago, ManFromAnotherPlace said:

Yeah they don't give a :cuss:. Just like they didn't give a :cuss: when they made mk6 a universal mark despite years of lore saying it was exclusive to Raven Guard and Alpha Legion. 

Company is run by absolute morons catering to dolts. 

They never said it was exclusive to them only that they exclusively had a large number of it early on. It was actually stated there were several versions of it in prototype since the crusade and none of that was exactly new or retconned info not that the entire 40k universe hasn't seen multiple and sweeping retcons through it's long history. The door was always open to use any mark except 7 at any point in the war with any army with some choices being fluffier than others.

6 hours ago, ManFromAnotherPlace said:

Company is run by absolute morons catering to dolts. 

Hardly. Did you ever see the original epic that was heresy set and marine vs marine?... It was ALL mkvi. Artwork of that era... mkvi.

Also they never claimed exclusivity, that's your words. 

Even at 3000 points I'm maybe playing 100 marines tops. Legions were in the thousands, I don't think anyone running 30/40 or even 50 mk vi is breaking anything as pretty much anything goes. 

Not sure why you're being quite so aggressive/ insulting with your tone. The designers care a great deal about what they produce. Top brass may have a different view but don't tar all with the same generalisation.

10 hours ago, ManFromAnotherPlace said:

I think the new mk3 look like ass, another lazy showing from the designers at forge world. Where are the studs for one? 

Dark Angels interemptors did the upscale much better. 

These look like some mongrel mix of 40K death guard,  mk6, and a dash of old mk3 (but more in the mutated husk of something beautiful way)

Also irritating they made the pointy helms universal whereas previously they were distinct to Death Guard. Equally as annoying to me as them giving mk6 to everyone which took away from unique modelling opportunities for Alpha Legion and Raven Guard. 

Clearly forge world are being run into the ground by a parade of low skill incompetents. 

At least Fulgrim is better than the utter trash heap most of the other demon primarchs. But why are they spending resources on unnecessary characters when the base range needed to play the game is not yet available? 

Primarchs are handled by one chap. It's not a mass resource being directed there. 

Assault marines are all but here so really we're only missing breachers.

As such, no biggie 

I was about to say; I would ignore the blatant troll / alt account. Joining up and immediately launching into a temper tantrum is more than a bit suspect.

11 minutes ago, Marshal Loss said:

Really love the redesign. Debating internally about how much I can justify adding into my EC...

I'm mulling giving it over to some Word Bearers Despoilers, as there's some really solid arm STLs out there for this design already.

i find it funny that people who used to cite RT, epic, and other older sources as why things should or shouldnt be included in Heresy were often decried for gatekeeping are now being told their opinions are wrong by the same people (who accused them of gatekeeping) by using RT era art and minis as justification. 

I dont aesthetically like these minis, i dont like the arms being skinny or the poses. I undertstand the justification but i retain the right to not like it. 

Will i buy them? probably many people have already jokingly asked if i have preordered my 3 copies .....(not yet) but i will be doing work on all of them to make them more inline with what i want. 

Now i am quite worried about what is going to happen to mk4 as aesthetically its one of my favorite armour marks and the current kit is near to perfect for me. 

I like these quite a lot. I think I like them less than the resin ‘old’ style MkIII, but quite a bit more than the plastic ones, which always had a kind of clunky, toy like feel to me. It’s a pretty dramatic change so I definitely get peoples dislike and disappointment, but personally I’m happy with the result. The box is pretty damn tempting, depending on the price. 

Right so after a nights rest and settling in my disappointment a bit I tried to figure out what my dislikes are, as I have almost 0 issue with the Fafnir Rann model which is the same armour design. Compared the two and they made a few changes that I think are detrimental to the overall silhouette. 

They shortened the crotch plate and lowered the gorget making the chest part seem rounder instead of more triangular, and for some reason they seem to have reduced the arms in size or at least the wrist/lower arm armour, combined with a thicker trim which gives the impression of skimpy arms. 

Rann's legs flare out more at the bottom as well but I'm not sure if that's for better or worse. 

Faffnin2.png

Edited by matcap86

10 hours ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

The door was always open to use any mark except 7 at any point in the war

In the vague depths of memory, I recall Mk7 being rolled out in small numbers by the Loyalists in time for the Siege. 

Regardless, I assume the awkward wrist joints can be fixed in the same way as the Mk6. Shave the torso tabs off and hide any gap at the shoulder with the pauldron.

Just for the record, here is a portion of the cover to Horus Rising showing both MKVI and the same style helmet as the new MKIII.

Horus Rising was published in 2006.

I really like the new MKIII and I really like that all of the new AoD infantry models are a new and different design direction. When the original FW marks all came out, those were also a new and different direction and I loved and still love them. At this point though, I’ve had 10 years with those models and have over 10k painted between two legions, with plenty in the backlog. I’m happy for any new projects I start to have a new look.

IMG_2456.jpeg

2 hours ago, matcap86 said:

for some reason the seem to have reduced the arms in size or at least the wrist/lower arm armour

I suspect those models are held with blutack or they used the wrong arms for those hands with bolters.

22 minutes ago, Ripper.McGuirl said:

Horus Rising was published in 2006.

And those contradictory Neil Roberts illustrations along the Visions art from before were already processed by FW artists to give us the armour designs which have been the stardard for 15 years since the Badab campaign around 2008.

The new MkVI and MkIII designs being a callback to earlier stuff when this was already a settled matter (even in 40k models like DG) is really baffling. Tzeenchian change for the sake of change to keep things fresh for marketing types? Jes Goodwin doing his own thing and disregarding previous work? I have no idea, but it's an undeniable break of visual continuty for those who care about such things like me.

On 8/31/2023 at 12:48 AM, Bloody Legionnaire said:

Unless you're strictly speaking old models being replaced by nu-models, the Scouts and Terminators should be putting the whole "firstborn replacement" thing to bed, already.

Those scouts are nothing but (as much as I hate when people use this term) "true-scale" or more desirably proportioned scouts. Just look at the ML! It's a classic model kit with some modern flair, that's it! I called it the other day on facebook, that we were going to be see more kits than people readily think staying true to their classic designs. There are somethings that GW is not going to depart from. I look forward to seeing the SM lineup become about "true-scale" (:sick:) models and not about primaris vs. firstborn debating that needs to die already. 

Bro, they literally just axed Assault squads and replaced them with assault interbingerdingers. 

On 8/31/2023 at 1:13 AM, ArielRSA said:

I thought it was a good stream. My rankings of the new marines:

terminator chaplain - it’s fine. Skull helmet is a lot better than the rebreather but would have preferred something similar to the old ones. This one is like the new bike chaplain

If that's your cup of tea, I think the new skull helmets for 40k have been horrendous, it looks like a Halloween mask! 

Tossing my two cents in.

I like the proportions of these guys to start, they 'feel' heavy and hulking but still with the sense of something that is powered and not just heavy platemail. Kind of gives me Fallout 4 Power Armour vibes (pretty much the only thing about that game I recall positively).

As to details? I actually quite like the joints, again it feel more like a segmented part of a moving whole and joints are usually something that irks me with heavier 40k units (they tend to go skinny very quickly with just a big front plate, never seemed like something that should move). 

The feet are inferior, more shoe-like than the heavy sabatons of the old MK3, which is a step down.

The head is inferior, it lacks the iconic brutality of MKIII, which is annoying but amendable. The spikes are also quite dumb imo, I get their historical callback in both irl and 40k but historically you also have sculpted genitals on armor and I dont want to see that (well, maybe on EC). As a non-Rogue Trader Era guy and someone with not a great love of nostalgia, I generally despise GW's obsession with harkening back to it.

The shoulders are also a bit piddly, since the pauldrons are the ablative part of the armour they could have been heavier.

On the whole? I like them and will buy them but I am very glad that I have a ton of MKIII heads and shoulders laying around.

Edited by StrangerOrders

Like a lot of people, I don't have much of an issue with these models in of themselves. The bolter is probably my biggest issue of the overall sculpt, as it looks really small, but otherwise I think the models are pretty cool.

That being said, they really don't play nicely with either the old resin mk3 or plastic mk3 (you know, the models people made their armies out of). The people who chose to use those models obviously liked the details from them, and the new mk3 are just plain different.

Which I assumed was the point. They want people to go and buy the new stuff instead of saying "well I already have the old version"; they want a visual clash and a feeling of incompatiblility. 

Re: incompatibility

I’m not so sure that’s their intention. I find it more likely that they have seen how popular things like Tortuga are, have noticed that nearly all of the things people post of their heresy infantry are either converted or printed to be taller, seen conversions of primaris things to be heresy era and have come to the pretty logical conclusion “hey people want this stuff bigger”. They also probably figured they may as well update the look a bit while they are at it.

As for someone else’s comment about visual continuity…that’s never really been much of a thing with them. They have always had multiple different artists, sculptors, writers, etc working on things either at the same time or in succession, and often they have been wildly different. Between every edition and codex things have changed back and forth depending on what things they liked the look of at the time, and this is no different.

But, ya know: everyone likes different things. Again I love the old stuff and have a ton of and am happy with it, but I have had it a long time and am happy to do a new version now.