Alpha Legion Saboteur

1 hour ago, Stitch5000 said:

Have you considered that maybe you don't like space marines, given these shoulder pads are an intrinsic part of their design and have been forever?

The Firstborn Dark Angels, Primaris Black Templars, 30k Sons of Horus and to be decided Legions Imperialis armies on my shelf might disagree with you. 

30k character models since the relaunch have had out of proportionally large shoulder pads that often reach down to upper abdominals. No worries if you hadn't noticed, but that's what I don't like. 

6 minutes ago, Joe said:

Unless they intend to split the shin pads down the middle ala the Mark VI pauldrons the legs certainly won't look like that.

I think is a mix of MKs. Legs are clearly MK5 but the rest of the armor... Very AL style indeed.

By the way, some people said that IH Iron Father is missing and FW needs  to make a miniature. Well, at least va powe armored one, because there's one with terminator armor:

https://www.warhammer.com/en-GB/shop/Iron-Hands-Iron-Father

3 minutes ago, matcap86 said:

The Firstborn Dark Angels, Primaris Black Templars, 30k Sons of Horus and to be decided Legions Imperialis armies on my shelf might disagree with you. 

30k character models since the relaunch have had out of proportionally large shoulder pads that often reach down to upper abdominals. No worries if you hadn't noticed, but that's what I don't like. 

I think is because the position of the arm with the shotgun. The shoulder is a bit lower. And that shoulder pad looks like a MK3,so adding to this the border of the camouflage cape and the angle, maybe it looks like bigger.

But the size of the shoulder pads is the same since 2nd ed. Some models like MK3 looks a bit bigger but is for the upper border,designed to offer more  protection to the neck and head/helmet from lateral attacks,specially shooting 

21 minutes ago, Joe said:

Unless they intend to split the shin pads down the middle ala the Mark VI pauldrons the legs certainly won't look like that.

What a weird thing to say, since the rivets are an integral part of the design. 

Edited by Marshal Rohr

19 minutes ago, AGRAMAR said:

I think is because the position of the arm with the shotgun. The shoulder is a bit lower. And that shoulder pad looks like a MK3,so adding to this the border of the camouflage cape and the angle, maybe it looks like bigger.

But the size of the shoulder pads is the same since 2nd ed. Some models like MK3 looks a bit bigger but is for the upper border,designed to offer more  protection to the neck and head/helmet from lateral attacks,specially shooting 

Might be, but most of the characters in the past year have had exaggerated features, are bigger in general than regular troops and also have proportionally bigger armour pieces. This would fit that trend. The Traitor legion consul has a similar issue for example. 

k6p6AIku0IwO5buh.jpg

image.png.78c5a9430fd192e3e53859f8f5b23f39.png

When you compare it to an older design it's pretty noticable. 

image.thumb.png.3da042cf4a428afc12f39cdadbd1ef5c.pngimage.thumb.png.0778ed2bf203d781f4d35b77cecf10e8.png

The newer designs feel top heavy to me and give a very round silhoutte, while the older ones felt more like actual armor pieces to me. 

Edited by matcap86
expounded on my point.

1 minute ago, Marshal Rohr said:

That's largely the issue with bringing it into plastic; the rivets. Unless the company has magically invested in slide moulding whilst we weren't looking they are largely stuck emulating what they've done for the Mark VI pauldrons, as they clearly aren't happy with the weird protruding studs that we saw on the plastic Mark IV or bog-standard Tactical Squad for 40,000 anymore.

2 minutes ago, Marshal Rohr said:

I believe that was in reference to getting the rivets perfectly circular in plastic.

You can either have the leg plate in two parts like the MkVI Pauldrons and have perfectly circular rivets, or you can have a one piece leg and have some wonky rivets going down when the MkV show up in plastic.

11 minutes ago, Urauloth said:

The shoulder guards are huge on the new characters, yeah. I think it's to indicate artificer armour? I don't like it, consistent pauldron size is the holy grail of space marine modelling, and this trend is a step away from it.

Consistent as in never changing to match the increase of scale? Like Primaris wearing the same pads the midget marines wore? Marines got bigger but thier shoulder pads shouldn't cuase that somehow makes them look wrong instead of consistent? Nah agree to disagree and let's stop bringing this dead horse arguement up every time there's a heresy release there's not a point left to make the rescaled shoulders like the rescaled marines are here to stay. The only reason it keeps coming up is cuase GW was too lazy to rescale Chaos and Primaris pads when they came out and it's created a new preception of what a marine is supposed to look like as opposed to what they looked like since 2nd edition onwards for over 20 years.

4 minutes ago, matcap86 said:

Might be, but most of the characters in the past year have had exaggerated features, are bigger in general than regular troops and also have proportionally bigger armour pieces. This would fit that trend. The Traitor legion consul has a similar issue for example. 

k6p6AIku0IwO5buh.jpg

When you compare it to an older design it's pretty noticable. 

image.thumb.png.3da042cf4a428afc12f39cdadbd1ef5c.png

Humm

The shoulder pads in the first one are from a MK3, with thick and riveted borders, but in the second ones are from MK4, with much more thin,non-riveted borders.

It's really tricky. Maybe some models can have bigger but I don't think is something standard. 

I'm comparing my own miniatures and I don't find any real difference. Maybe in some specific miniatures, I don't own yet.

I like bits of this one, but i really hate the overly gaudy style FW went for on the Alpha Legion, the pauldrons are definitely outsized for power armour too. I think they did a good job on posing, clearly hitting the compromise between a model that should be shrouded in his cloak opening it up to attack and to show off his nice details.

So good in micro, bad in macro? Im torn because Alpha Legion were my first and biggest Heresy army back in the good old days, but i hate how FW did the model range, but not on objective quality like the poor Space Wolves so its harder to moan :P 

49 minutes ago, AGRAMAR said:

I think is a mix of MKs. Legs are clearly MK5 but the rest of the armor... Very AL style indeed.

By the way, some people said that IH Iron Father is missing and FW needs  to make a miniature. Well, at least va powe armored one, because there's one with terminator armor:

https://www.warhammer.com/en-GB/shop/Iron-Hands-Iron-Father

After checking some images, I believe the armor is a mix of some MKs: Mk5 (legs,power backpack),MK3 (shoulder pads) and Mk4 (helmet).

The torso can be a MK 5 or 6. And the arms definitely are not MK3, 4 or 5. Most probably a MK 6

I hope  one day we'll have MK5 and MK2* in plastic.

*complete I mean

Edited by AGRAMAR

Torso is Mk II if anything. Exposed midriff area with a breastplate that primarily covers the upper torso with smaller plates coming down under either pectoral with a split in the center.

24 minutes ago, Slips said:

Torso is Mk II if anything. Exposed midriff area with a breastplate that primarily covers the upper torso with smaller plates coming down under either pectoral with a split in the center.

MkII midriff is armoured. They have this rib like design with a wide cable going over the abs.

Imo this is almost exclusively how the new plastic MkV will look, though i wonder if some details, like the lack of abdominal armour here are down to changes to the basic design of MkV or because this is artificer MkV.

It's not bad but it doesn't feel like a Sabateur to me. I think my brain is incapable of thinking Sabateur without picturing the lightning claw/combi-melta from Ash at Guerrilla Miniature Games. He has successfully infiltrated my brain.

Pretty good sculpt, though and I think, as a range, the Alpha Legion have the best character model sculpts in the game.

The biggest problem with doing MkV in plastic is the helmet. GW can split the legs or change its bonding studs, but it's difficult to do the same to the helmet while keeping the front grille.  It it even happens, I don't think plastic mkV probably will have many bonding studs besides a left split shoulder pad.

gw-99550101511_1.thumb.jpg.e71f2046d9300c83687f83853ba9fadb.jpg

5 minutes ago, lansalt said:

The biggest problem with doing MkV in plastic is the helmet. GW can split the legs or change its bonding studs, but it's difficult to do the same to the helmet while keeping the front grille.  It it even happens, I don't think plastic mkV probably will have many bonding studs besides a left split shoulder pad.

gw-99550101511_1.thumb.jpg.e71f2046d9300c83687f83853ba9fadb.jpg

They will probably do it like the goliath heads or age of sigmar helmets, where it comes in multiple pieces 

22 minutes ago, lansalt said:

Depends how retro they go. Seems like they are going for the traditional iron diaper version from the way back art but the armour through the ages version of mark 5 is wildly different really wierd looking so they might scoop that helmet or just opt for the full Sarum pattern. There's only so much sprue space so you really do gotta wonder how they'll pull it off and if they do they can finally make that brag about the worlds best miniatures true.

Edited by OttoVonAwesome

16 minutes ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

Depends how retro they go. Seems like they are going for the traditional iron diaper version from the way back art but the armour through the ages version of mark 5 is wildly different really wierd looking so they might scoop that helmet or just opt for the full Sarum pattern. There's only so much sprue space so you really do gotta wonder how they'll pull it off and if they do they can finally make that brag about the worlds best miniatures true.

Which version is the Iron Diaper version :biggrin:

I'm a sucker for a marine with a nice cape, and this bloke has a very nice cape. Looks good.

I hope they keep pumping out the Consuls, though I'd prefer that the EC got something other than the Phoenix Warden (like an Apothecary/Fleshcrafter). The Praetor is already an excellent proxy and we can't even use the Warden with the new LH:EC rules.