Alpha Legion Saboteur

On 12/10/2023 at 12:43 AM, Arendious said:

We of the Legion are just that good...

I was also hoping for something with some more hints to Phobos armor - maybe the cut-down shoulder pads, or less armored greaves. 

I on the other hand would have hated it if the Saboteur would look like what is to me the worst model range GW has made in the last 20 years. I don't like a lot of the new generic HQ models like the librarian for the particular reason that they do look like similar to the god awful Primaris "marines". 

On 12/9/2023 at 6:54 AM, Wispy said:

There's a lot of stuff I have to shut my brain down for to make 40k make sense... but one thing I can't make my brain shut up about is how this guy - who is very tall and bulky and wearing shiny metallic blue armour - is capable of infiltrating or sabotaging anything. Must be a really good camouflage pattern on that cape.

Yup, that seems very odd. Maybe some sort of camouflage field generator.

I won't use him as Saboteur because of that but he is a wonderful generic model and I want him.

3 hours ago, Gorgoff said:

I on the other hand would have hated it if the Saboteur would look like what is to me the worst model range GW has made in the last 20 years. I don't like a lot of the new generic HQ models like the librarian for the particular reason that they do look like similar to the god awful Primaris "marines". 

Yup, that seems very odd. Maybe some sort of camouflage field generator.

I won't use him as Saboteur because of that but he is a wonderful generic model and I want him.

I really don't see how the new Librarian Consul and Traitor Esoterist look like Primaris. The Traitor Esoterist looks like a cleaner version of the new Chaos Marines and the Librarian Consul looks like he's in line with the Praetors from the Age of Darkness box. I don't see any Primaris elements on them like the helmet, ankle joints, knee detail, elongated rifles and extra parts on the backpack.

7 minutes ago, MoriyaSchism said:

I really don't see how the new Librarian Consul and Traitor Esoterist look like Primaris. The Traitor Esoterist looks like a cleaner version of the new Chaos Marines and the Librarian Consul looks like he's in line with the Praetors from the Age of Darkness box. I don't see any Primaris elements on them like the helmet, ankle joints, knee detail, elongated rifles and extra parts on the backpack.

He's not crazy.

There's something there in the overall collar torso proportions.

image.thumb.png.00b0733e39cc7433a04bfe681d41b32b.png

Traitor not so much. (Although that sleeve is terrible)

image.thumb.png.c455546d7e24b68d15810626ae85c5a4.png

9 hours ago, JayJapanB said:

He's not crazy.

There's something there in the overall collar torso proportions.

image.thumb.png.00b0733e39cc7433a04bfe681d41b32b.png

Traitor not so much. (Although that sleeve is terrible)

image.thumb.png.c455546d7e24b68d15810626ae85c5a4.png

I want to go on the record that I hate almost everything about Gravis armour and I'm not a big fan of Phobos either other than it being a source of normal marine looking arms with decently sized bolters. The Librarian having a collar or cowl like that makes more sense than the Praetor or the Gravis guy. Not a big fan of the Librarian Consul either, the Traitor Esoterist is more in line what a Librarian should be.
image.thumb.png.23422ba653bbf4e35df52539ecefd9db.png

Edited by MoriyaSchism

Yeah, I mean I don't think it was a "wrong" decision to have the librarian look like that.

I think this stuff is just kinda vague and compounding. It's little differences that add up to a "vibe"

The original praetors by Edgar Skomorowski look notably different from anything from the modern 40k Marine range.

Meanwhile the new HH 2.0 range has had a consistent new art direction that does seem to match closer to the new 40k SMs. The way the greaves curve inwards on every model for example.

image.thumb.png.0b6ff2585fe7481e99ed73605fd4c35c.png

image.thumb.png.82c3875040c695bba85eb00d45a0f0dd.png

I stand by my opinion that this is a byproduct of the new CAD design process. I feel like they're reusing assets a lot in the design process, and hey a space marine is a space marine right? Hence why we get identical posed mk3 and mk6 marines. Might also explain why there's so much overlap in style cues between 40k and 30k nowadays: they're all working from the same bases. 

28 minutes ago, matcap86 said:

I stand by my opinion that this is a byproduct of the new CAD design process. I feel like they're reusing assets a lot in the design process, and hey a space marine is a space marine right? Hence why we get identical posed mk3 and mk6 marines. Might also explain why there's so much overlap in style cues between 40k and 30k nowadays: they're all working from the same bases. 

They did identically posed MK III and MK VI to make them compatible with the same plastic upgrades, notably the special weapons sprues and possibly future combi-weapon, etc. sprues. A design tradeoff they made intentionally to cover the most ground, as there's no way they'll be able to do 5 different special weapon upgrades, heavy weapon upgrades, etc., one per armor mark. With this route, when MK III came out, you could use the existing frames and end up with quite a lot of possibilities.

These sorts of design decisions permeate the modern Heresy range in how they've done sprue and kit design, as they have a very large design space to cover. Sort of the infantry equivalent to the layered sprue design they did to cover the Rhino, Land Raider and Sicaran chassis vehicles. In a similar way, the Jetbikes have a separate rider sprue, which leaves them open for characters or other armor marks later down the line.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

18 minutes ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

They did identically posed MK III and MK VI to make them compatible with the same plastic upgrades, notably the special weapons sprues and possibly future combi-weapon, etc. sprues. A design tradeoff they made intentionally to cover the most ground, as there's no way they'll be able to do 5 different special weapon upgrades, heavy weapon upgrades, etc., one per armor mark. With this route, when MK III came out, you could use the existing frames and end up with quite a lot of possibilities.

These sorts of design decisions permeate the modern Heresy range in how they've done sprue and kit design, as they have a very large design space to cover. Sort of the infantry equivalent to the layered sprue design they did to cover the Rhino, Land Raider and Sicaran chassis vehicles. In a similar way, the Jetbikes have a separate rider sprue, which leaves them open for characters or other armor marks later down the line.

I think that's part of the reason yes, but the models have plenty of space to repose torsos and legs while keeping the arms in similar positions. Most of the arms are interchangable between the 5 poses we got, and I can't imagine it would be impossible to add a few more leg poses and torso rotations to that. 

On 12/11/2023 at 12:19 AM, WrathOfTheLion said:

I'm going to have to grab this one, I think there's some Alpha Legion for me in the future. For now, I'm really looking forward to having at least a new model in MK V armor.

Me too