Alpha Legion Saboteur

I think it's ok, beyond the cloak being camo it doesn't really scream saboteur but it's a nice Alpha Legion model and would make a cool character model in general for them. (Technically speaking by being non descript he's actually excelling as an Alpha Legion Astartes to be fair).

As for the Mk V armour it fits in well with the other two armours we have already seen. 

3 hours ago, Nephaston said:

Or, instead of splitting bits to mold rivets they mold holes and loose rivets to glue on just to mess with us.

It'll be truly riveting to assemble then.

I have these wave rivets from hobbylink japan I use on heresy guys all the time so I'm prepared. lol

Aaaand I just found out they are discontinued and now I'm going into crisis...

Edited by OttoVonAwesome

2 hours ago, Nephaston said:

Or, instead of splitting bits to mold rivets they mold holes and loose rivets to glue on just to mess with us.

It'll be truly riveting to assemble then.

Round Rivets! Spiked Rivets! Skull Rivets! Leave rivets off to show battle damage! Legion Specific Rivets When!? 

Dang, I've talked myself into it :)

Ah, so the Forge Worlds received an order for oversized pauldrons, to deal with the likes of Alexis Polux or later Cawl's secret-squirrel project... and then they had to gaslight Marines that nooo, what do you mean, Chapter Master? We've been making pauldrons of those exact holy dimensions forever, as prescribed in the Holy STCs by the Omnissiah Himself! HONEST!

:D

1 hour ago, Kastor Krieg said:

Ah, so the Forge Worlds received an order for oversized pauldrons, to deal with the likes of Alexis Polux or later Cawl's secret-squirrel project... and then they had to gaslight Marines that nooo, what do you mean, Chapter Master? We've been making pauldrons of those exact holy dimensions forever, as prescribed in the Holy STCs by the Omnissiah Himself! HONEST!

90's marines pads were even smaller. 2012 they got bigger, rounder. Bigger marines bigger pads. I dunno why this is so controversial. lol

2 hours ago, Kastor Krieg said:

image.thumb.png.475d2af5ab894bf6f915042ce69b4f81.png

I think they've got smaller.

I think I've got it.

The shoulder pads aren't really larger. The AL's right bent arm and the sketch's right arm have the lower trim of the pad end in the exact same space - low enough to overhang the elbow joint, not low enough to preclude bending it 90 degrees. 

They're mounted a lot lower in some cases though. Check this out, even accounting for the shifted posture, the AL left pad has the defensive "crest" (I forget what it's called in medieval armour jargon), which by the Firstborn design sketch should be sticking way above his eye level (yellow line on the crest), reach only to the AL's eye level (green line). Even the top of the shoulder pad (red line) is much lower than on the Firstborn sketch. A dropped shoulder doesn't account for this much difference IMO. It's as if the "shoulder" bulky piece we mount pads onto were either smaller in those models, or the team glued arms in HH character models slightly lower by default when assembling.

It's small wonder the pads on this model (and probably others like it) look "larger" or "drooping", "unwieldy", "oversized".

Looks to be a similar case with Fafnir Rann, for example.

Fxriclm.png

Edited by Kastor Krieg

9 minutes ago, Kastor Krieg said:

I think I've got it.

The shoulder pads aren't really larger. The AL's right bent arm and the sketch's right arm have the lower trim of the pad end in the exact same space - low enough to overhang the elbow joint, not low enough to preclude bending it 90 degrees. 

They're mounted a lot lower in some cases though. Check this out, even accounting for the shifted posture, the AL left pad has the defensive "crest" (I forget what it's called in medieval armour jargon), which by the Firstborn design sketch should be sticking way above his eye level (yellow line on the crest), reach only to the AL's eye level (green line). Even the top of the shoulder pad (red line) is much lower than on the Firstborn sketch. A dropped shoulder doesn't account for this much difference IMO. It's as if the "shoulder" bulky piece we mount pads onto were either smaller in those models, or the team glued arms in HH character models slightly lower by default when assembling.

It's small wonder the pads on this model (and probably others like it) look "larger" or "drooping", "unwieldy", "oversized".

Fxriclm.png

Only way to see it is to get the model and compare. It's impossible to tell plus that's a sketch he's comparing it to, not any of the real miniatures. In terms of shoulder proportion things have been fairly consistent through the line. One of the exceptions I own personally in my collection are the 3rd edition Death Company hybrid kit metal pauldrons which were just a tiny bit shorter.

image.thumb.png.0e0993bef84ba7f37581378283d6927a.png

1 hour ago, Kastor Krieg said:

The shoulder pads aren't really larger.

Sometimes they're even smaller, like with the new MkIII kit (right):

1700899194359945.thumb.jpg.2cbe25308d0f74a55e112d7fb2af22c6.jpg

I think the proportions of the new kits with their smaller heads, wider torsos, and pauldrons mounted in a lower position makes them look "off" for those of us that have stared at space marines for decades. An interesting trick is to put an older helmet in a new mini: suddenly they look "right" again due to us being used to their older proportions and the head being the visual focus.

9 hours ago, Kastor Krieg said:

I think I've got it.

If they weren't a little unwieldy Chaos marines probably wouldn't have cut out a small portion by the elbow as they made other modifications (no belly armour) for mobility in close combat against other marines. 

8 hours ago, lansalt said:

I think the proportions of the new kits with their smaller heads, wider torsos, and pauldrons mounted in a lower position makes them look "off" for those of us that have stared at space marines for decades. An interesting trick is to put an older helmet in a new mini: suddenly they look "right" again due to us being used to their older proportions and the head being the visual focus.

The new mark 3 is a fun one for comparisons, the curvature goes higher and the pad is deeper and larger but the trim is smaller. The original looks cool still but doesn't fit very well on the new marines with thier power plants being a tighter fit to the torso it also doesn't fit that great on alot of primaris marines or anyone that was dynamically posed and not wearing a mk 2 backpack. Compare it to the new mark 6 and you find the curvature is totally different there too it's no longer all one pualdron with the same dimensions but just a little bit different trim.

I'd like to get my hands on one of the new guys in mark 4 cuase I have a feeling the dimensions on thier pualdrons is also slightly different. Wich I think is cool it shows more advancement and experimentation in the design process of each new mark and even though I find the Primaris silly with thier small pads it kind of makes more sense now that between all the marks the chaos marines and Primaris you no longer see just the same pad but with different trim.

13 hours ago, lansalt said:

I was curious about the scale so I raided my bits box to see how things compare. Took some comparison photos of the heads but I can't fit them into this post.
image.thumb.png.19c75da9be41eaec9fdcf9e7c2c085d3.png
From top to bottom:
1. Classic Tactical Marine blank Mk VI pauldron next to the Horus Heresy Mk VI pauldron
2. Two primaris pauldrons (Intercessor and Infiltrator) and a third party Lamenter pauldron
3. Classic vehicle crew pauldron and two classic Sternguard pauldrons (Mk 7 and Mk 3)

image.png.b2f5adcb73cf0f9aba4803e9d3775429.png
I held the Horus Heresy Mk 6 and the Sternguard Mk 3 together to compare the depth on the inside and it's pretty much the same. The groves on the inside of the rim line up seem to line up.

As a bonus I compared the Mk 6 to some of the loose Chaos Marine (Blackstone Fortress and Dark Imperium) bits I had. They seem to line up too.

image.png.6f0f29e2d72f3d5dd9780047e96d572e.png
image.png.ab62cd2c5b9817ac3dbfa03605b169a3.png

There's a lot of stuff I have to shut my brain down for to make 40k make sense... but one thing I can't make my brain shut up about is how this guy - who is very tall and bulky and wearing shiny metallic blue armour - is capable of infiltrating or sabotaging anything. Must be a really good camouflage pattern on that cape.

17 hours ago, Wispy said:

There's a lot of stuff I have to shut my brain down for to make 40k make sense... but one thing I can't make my brain shut up about is how this guy - who is very tall and bulky and wearing shiny metallic blue armour - is capable of infiltrating or sabotaging anything. Must be a really good camouflage pattern on that cape.

We of the Legion are just that good...

Honestly, I would have liked to see him in a reversed color scheme - blue pauldrons and blacked out armor says "saboteur" more. And could be excused by saying he covers the shoulder plates with his cape.

I was also hoping for something with some more hints to Phobos armor - maybe the cut-down shoulder pads, or less armored greaves. 

What surprised me with the new Mk VI kit is how much bigger those pauldrons are than the old Mk IV ones. I was planning on swapping in some Mk IV heads and shoulder pads to vary the look of my Mk VI tacticals a bit, but the pads are way smaller. They fit, but if you put them in the same squad I think they'd look odd.

7 hours ago, Urauloth said:

What surprised me with the new Mk VI kit is how much bigger those pauldrons are than the old Mk IV ones. I was planning on swapping in some Mk IV heads and shoulder pads to vary the look of my Mk VI tacticals a bit, but the pads are way smaller. They fit, but if you put them in the same squad I think they'd look odd.

The Mk IV pads always looked smaller than usual to me, I don't have any on hand to compare but I think the thin rim is part of it. The new Mk VI heads look way too small to me, for example the ear pieces on it are almost exactly the same size as on the classic Tactical Marine helmetless head.

Here are the helmet and head comparison photos I took. I included parts from classic Marine and Primaris range. The Sororitas and Chaos heads are there for reference. It's clear that helmetless Marine heads are the same across all three ranges. The new Mk VI helmet looks great in terms aesthetics, but it's too small for my tastes and inconsistent with all my current projects. If anyone has any comparison pictures of the new resin Mk VI upgrade heads send me a private message.
image.png.fa26c211ce94dcf3fcd2d497cc80b34c.png

image.png.77585f458d67333c8fcc32eec52a823e.pngimage.png.5da934d5520324ee7694725069a1beb4.pngimage.png.41160eb5d771410bf83f9a34f2dd0dc4.png

On 12/7/2023 at 5:23 PM, Kastor Krieg said:

All is forgiven in the name of the Kino that is Mark V "Heresy" pattern armor.