Upcoming BL Stuff 2024

aa.logan

On 1/13/2024 at 6:02 PM, chevalierdulys said:

You could get it via amazon cheaper. I believe normal HB are sold at less than 30€. Even more, via blackwells (27€ includes shipping)
https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/product/The-End-and-the-Death-Volume-III-by-Dan-Abnett/9781804074886

This I tried of course, with End and the Death 2 a few weeks ago. Amazon UK did not have stock. Some people got their pre-orders cancelled too.

I would not mind waiting until Amazon gets stock before I order with a discount. But unfortunately I have seen that even when its advertised, the Siege books in particular are not always supplied to Amazon.

Case in point: Check out Amazon UK now, still no stock for book 9:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/End-Death-Horus-Heresy-Siege/dp/1800268785/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3NGAKC6UUWJZT&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.QW3nBL2dQtK4axW6XszYUPKt7-6A51QshM6AmrMp4vunxTFHT2B1vQj7WdtvvzAueYNTYVmGTsDxMhiI9nQ96wn4teQngkXOlkDgmotB75VkVTQ6aTvq50jVaC4qHOm2rIaZPsfIDILDexUqL1cYzA.D0SYr1Qt_cRR2n_4M8J8DiFxJkJNn5jAu0E6WZpEmlA&dib_tag=se&keywords=the+end+and+the+death+volume+2&qid=1705260674&s=books&sprefix=end+and+the+de%2Cstripbooks%2C104&sr=1-1

It is because of this that I didnt feel comfortable waiting until they get stock of vol. 10. The problem is that if they dont, like the issues they had with book 9, you possibly also cant order from warhammer.com anymore.

Edited by Taliesin

1 hour ago, Urauloth said:

Hopefully, if nothing else, the fact that scalpers are now taunting fans who couldn't get LEs legitimately will make people finally stop buying from them.

You'd think so. But 10 books and 3 novellas later, everyone still complains about the same thing. Or any other LE for that matter... Maybe stop, buying these overpriced low-quality binding books and stop enabling the scalpers.

On 1/14/2024 at 2:40 PM, Scribe said:

Sold Out - Canada site.

Bit late, but my buddy picked his hardback up from chapters/indigo on Monday. Apparently it's a viable option for the hardbacks, who knew?

On 1/13/2024 at 11:24 AM, aa.logan said:

Wait time has gone “more than an hour”, “17 minutes”, “24 minutes” “47 minutes” and then “50 minutes” and “more than a hour” since 10.10 uk time for me. What. A. Joke.

As Dan Abnett tried to hammer home in the last two books:

Time has run out. Time has lost all meaning. There is no time. This is a timeless space.

(I AM SORRY, okay!? I am already leaving...)

Fnac has Da Big Dakka and The Ghosts of Barak-Minoz up for release on the 24th. Preorder presumably on the tenth. Da Big Dakka is this year’s Celebration miniature tie-in. Seems BL has either moved up the Celebration or made a sensible decision and decided to put the novels up for preorder early so that people can get them at the same time as the ‘festivities’ (being incredibly generous with that word). Either way, looking forward to the books. 

No word yet on if this is all that’s coming to the festival, the Morvenn Vahl LE seems like a good candidate though. And Lazarus: Enmity’s Edge is arriving sometime next month.

https://www.fnac.com/e65968/Black-Library?SFilt=1!34

Edited by cheywood

Two Fnac updates in one day!? Ahriman Undying is dated for February 10th. So it’s up for preorder next Saturday I guess. Good luck to those who want the special edition.

https://www.fnac.com/livre-numerique/a19421272/John-French-Ahriman-Undying#omnsearchpos=8

Edited by cheywood

3 hours ago, cheywood said:

Two Fnac updates in one day!? Ahriman Undying is dated for February 10th. So it’s up for preorder next Saturday I guess. Good look to those who want the special edition.

https://www.fnac.com/livre-numerique/a19421272/John-French-Ahriman-Undying#omnsearchpos=8

It will be interesting to see just how quick the LE sells out, noting the number of fraters who have sworn off future LE after the E+D fiasco and/or the website issues.

Edited by Felix Antipodes

2 hours ago, Felix Antipodes said:

It will be interesting to see just how quick the LE sells out, noting the number of fraters who have sworn off future LE after the E+D fiasco and/or the website issues.

GW has been bombarded with phone calls and complaints from people who missed out last Saturday, citing evidence from scalpers in Discord and twitter showing how they targeted the release (one scalper alone bragged about making £40,000 from the release).

It is interesting that there has been no re-stock since Saturday.  Usually a few copies will filter back onto the website Monday/Tuesday.  Nothing so far.

I'm not sure if it means anything or if it's just copium because I missed out and really want a copy, but I'd like to believe GW is going through all the orders with a fine tooth comb and will relieve the scalpers of their copies.  What I fear is that these copies will then make their way to WHW rather than the website, which precludes the majority of people from having a reasonable shot at getting one.

PS - can people be mindful of spoilers in TEATD thread?  I read a couple of (what I consider to be) major spoilers from 'leaks' without spoiler tags.  I'm all for spoiler discussion but please, use the hidden text function.  

If (big IF) GW cared about this issue there is a relatively simple way around it.  Offer a subscription/membership service that provides a unique reference number. ONLY members with a URN can enter the presale for a LE book and can only buy one.

Not everyone will get one but it might mean more actual fans and less scalpers get lucky?

7 hours ago, DukeLeto69 said:

If (big IF) GW cared about this issue there is a relatively simple way around it.  Offer a subscription/membership service that provides a unique reference number. ONLY members with a URN can enter the presale for a LE book and can only buy one.

Not everyone will get one but it might mean more actual fans and less scalpers get lucky?

This is how Warhammer Plus might stay relevant:

5 hours ago, DarkChaplain said:

This is how Warhammer Plus might stay relevant:

I was thinking the exact same thing.  I have also seen elsewhere that some fraters have received ‘sorry, haven’t got it after all’ cancellations from eBay sellers.  Maybe something is afoot behind the scenes (or that guy who made 40 grand scalped the scalpers :tongue: )

WH Plus has over 130K subscribers and there's nothing stopping scalpers from having one. I have no use for that service so pushing me to have another crap to have a chance to buy LE is not the best idea.

There aren't that many popular releases like HH and after this fiasco, fewer fans will probably commit to collecting LEs.

This is from IG. Let's hope GW finally started doing something because I don't know a single fan who got a copy and according to some polls I've seen, over 80% of fans didn't get it. That is the ultimate f* by a small, indie company called GW.

Screenshot_20240119_082044_Instagram.jpg

12 minutes ago, theSpirea said:

WH Plus has over 130K subscribers and there's nothing stopping scalpers from having one. I have no use for that service so pushing me to have another crap to have a chance to buy LE is not the best idea.

There aren't that many popular releases like HH and after this fiasco, fewer fans will probably commit to collecting LEs.

This is from IG. Let's hope GW finally started doing something because I don't know a single fan who got a copy and according to some polls I've seen, over 80% of fans didn't get it. That is the ultimate f* by a small, indie company called GW.

Screenshot_20240119_082044_Instagram.jpg

Hoping that means scalpers are getting scalped!

On the subscription thing. I feel the real opportunity for GW was SoT mini series. I do believe my suggestion would have worked but as I said, not everyone would get a LE just restricted access but it might help to address the bot issue?

There's no easy way to deal with scalpers. They're everywhere and as far as I'm aware there's no 100% proof way to prevent them.

Limiting orders to one per address and account and payment could be an option, that GW did use, maybe still uses, but it clearly didn't work.

I do feel for fans who are totally invested in the HH and SoT and wanted a very grand (and expensive) beautiful looking Limited Edition collection who:

a) missed out on one volume (how bloody frustrating must that be to a collector).

b) doesn’t like tEatD volumes.

Total bummer after all those years and all that money!

I'm pretty cheesed off that there hasn't been any acknowledgment of the problem by GW, either on social media or their community website.  It would be nice if they at least acknowledged there was a problem and to show a bit of empathy for the SoT collectors who missed out.  They've certainly received enough complaints on the matter to warrant a response.

The WarCom preview showcased a new Callis & Toll novel alongside the characters' getting miniatures.

For those who don't know about AoS stuff, Callis & Toll were the stars of a few stories by Nick Horth - the Legends of AoS short novel City of Secrets, which tied into Tzeentch back in 2017, the novel The Silver Shard and two spin-off novellas for Novella Series 1 & 2 (plus some shorts).

The last release was a single short story in 2020. Callis & Toll had seemingly been axed. Until today, when the miniatures were revealed alongside the new novel

The twist? The new novel isn't by Nick Horth. It's David Annandale (who is apparently still writing for them, luckily).

So what does this tell us about Black Library stuff? They're willing to pick up authors' original ideas again even if the author left BL. This may be good for all the dangling projects by Josh Reynolds - albeit bad because Reynolds is very hard to match in terms of flair and wry humor - but potentially also for other series. We've got multiple dead-in-the-water trilogies in 40k, after all...

Had randomly popped on to the GW site and the queue had kicked in.

Looks like they've added a Captcha. Also comes up saying you can only order from your locally appropriate webstore..

Edited by Malkydel

Now that the HH series is ending, i wonder if BL will stick to their old statement that everything would be available for mass-market eventually. Towards the end (pre siege), there were a bunch of eshorts and the novella duo that haven't been collected yet. They really should have got those out there by now.

5 hours ago, DarkChaplain said:

The WarCom preview showcased a new Callis & Toll novel alongside the characters' getting miniatures.

For those who don't know about AoS stuff, Callis & Toll were the stars of a few stories by Nick Horth - the Legends of AoS short novel City of Secrets, which tied into Tzeentch back in 2017, the novel The Silver Shard and two spin-off novellas for Novella Series 1 & 2 (plus some shorts).

The last release was a single short story in 2020. Callis & Toll had seemingly been axed. Until today, when the miniatures were revealed alongside the new novel

The twist? The new novel isn't by Nick Horth. It's David Annandale (who is apparently still writing for them, luckily).

So what does this tell us about Black Library stuff? They're willing to pick up authors' original ideas again even if the author left BL. This may be good for all the dangling projects by Josh Reynolds - albeit bad because Reynolds is very hard to match in terms of flair and wry humor - but potentially also for other series. We've got multiple dead-in-the-water trilogies in 40k, after all...

Is it me, or have their age been retconned? Toll looks older now and Callis looks younger.

2 hours ago, neOh (AV) said:

Is it me, or have their age been retconned? Toll looks older now and Callis looks younger.

Based on the title and author I think this might be a soft reboot for the characters. Wouldn’t surprise me if they’ve changed a few things.