Upcoming BL Stuff 2024

aa.logan

Went back and read the WHC "Save the date article" for BL celebration because I couldn't remember if it was this week or next and there was this little guy at the top

"UPDATE, 26 January: Note that the special editions of Spear of Faith and Da Big Dakka that were scheduled for release during Black Library Celebration have been delayed. Keep an eye on Warhammer Community for details of their release in the future."

So that means there's really not much for the grand BL celebration then. The new mini to come out with a book that's delayed, some bookmarks and random other stuff. But the big headliners for the event will not be there.

6 minutes ago, darkhorse0607 said:

Went back and read the WHC "Save the date article" for BL celebration because I couldn't remember if it was this week or next and there was this little guy at the top

"UPDATE, 26 January: Note that the special editions of Spear of Faith and Da Big Dakka that were scheduled for release during Black Library Celebration have been delayed. Keep an eye on Warhammer Community for details of their release in the future."

So that means there's really not much for the grand BL celebration then. The new mini to come out with a book that's delayed, some bookmarks and random other stuff. But the big headliners for the event will not be there.

You’d think GW would have these things figured out more in advance, but it’s par for the course at this point. Hopefully they clarify this more explicitly for the people planning to buy the SE’s, but then again it is WarCom. 

As a point of clarity Da Big Dakka and The Ghosts of Barak Minoz should both be available in hardback/ebook. Maybe Spear of Faith as well considering it’s now a special edition not a limited one? Unless Warcom’s just mixing up the terminology as they so often do. Considering the mess that is ordering the special editions right now, this isn’t an especially big loss. 

3 minutes ago, cheywood said:

You’d think GW would have these things figured out more in advance, but it’s par for the course at this point. Hopefully they clarify this more explicitly for the people planning to buy the SE’s, but then again it is WarCom. 

As a point of clarity Da Big Dakka and The Ghosts of Barak Minoz should both be available in hardback/ebook. Maybe Spear of Faith as well considering it’s now a special edition not a limited one? Unless Warcom’s just mixing up the terminology as they so often do. Considering the mess that is ordering the special editions right now, this isn’t an especially big loss. 

It's not a huge loss no, but at the same time the more pessimistic part of me is just wandering what the point is about the whole thing. Few years back, BL celebrations were something of note. There was an actual event, with authors there and staff members, limited books, other things like bookmarks or trinkets, celebration minis, big book announcements, etc.

Now it's just a few (in theory, at least that they're promising) articles on WHC, some books we've already seen going up for order which is no different than any other weekend, and a bookmark/tie-in mini. It's just sad really. I'm hoping for a decent announcement but as they say "hope is the first step on the road to disappointment"

I'm assuming/hoping this delay is because they've decided to pause releasing all special edition books until they can find a better way of preventing the scalpers from ruining it, especially as these in particular would make an embarassment of the BL 'celebration', but we'll see.

5 hours ago, Taliesin said:

What are they lined up for that is releasing today? Surely they are not lined up for Siege of Terra 10 copies that sold out online this week?

Warhammer World usually has around 10 copies of each LE to sell on the morning of release 

6 hours ago, Taliesin said:

What are they lined up for that is releasing today? Surely they are not lined up for Siege of Terra 10 copies that sold out online this week?

There were roughly 15-20 copies up for grabs over here at WHW this morning, but aye certainly there were people arriving at the early hours before dawn who didn't get lucky but still spent a number of hours outside the gates. 

Edited by Aeternus

9 hours ago, Aeternus said:

There were roughly 15-20 copies up for grabs over here at WHW this morning, but aye certainly there were people arriving at the early hours before dawn who didn't get lucky but still spent a number of hours outside the gates. 

According to someone who was there all night, there were 15 copies in total.  There were already 29 people in the queue by midnight.  

It also sounds like there was a sour incident where two scalpers (identified because they didn’t know anything about Warhammer when questioned by people in the queue) managed to secure two of the copies.  

4 hours ago, theSpirea said:

Might sound weird but I actually don't have a problem if a scalper goes to the store, stands for hours in the line to get ONE copy. It's very different to someone snatching 10+ copies online.

Agree wholeheartedly.

Nothing again this week. Boo!

8 hours ago, theSpirea said:

Might sound weird but I actually don't have a problem if a scalper goes to the store, stands for hours in the line to get ONE copy. It's very different to someone snatching 10+ copies online.

Yep, they’ve done nothing wrong.  But I can’t imagine how frustrated the Warhammer fans who were 16th and 17th in the queue must have felt.  It all just links into overall fan frustration with this release.  But I don’t have an easy solution other than making the print runs a lot higher.

19 minutes ago, Ubiquitous1984 said:

Yep, they’ve done nothing wrong.  But I can’t imagine how frustrated the Warhammer fans who were 16th and 17th in the queue must have felt.  It all just links into overall fan frustration with this release.  But I don’t have an easy solution other than making the print runs a lot higher.

Going off Valraks lates video the scalpers at warhammer world actually skipped the queue by going in a side door, they really are the worst

Its kind of funny that it seems the Second release and canceling of orders has had the unintended effect of doubling the value of the book on ebay to the point there are listings that are over 1000$ CAD. To me this just seems obscene and just shows an absolute lack of human decency in some people, im rather not well off due to my health and I have at least one book outside my warhammer 40k collection thats worth over 700$ because its been banned off amazon. I would likely never sell it unless absolutely forced to because I cherish my books. I also dont think ripping people off is a worthwhile business endeavor when you didnt even produce the product in the first place, to me its just comes across as some kind of greed based insanity that I dont think translates well into having a happy life or positive human relationships, I mean if you are happy to rip off strangers what are you going to do to your loved ones? 

I make my own cat food for example,  I began doing so due to inflation but now I  find it to be a really meditative experience, maybe a sense of integrity is just born into some people while others just lack it but quite frankly I find it sickening that I have to share a planet with people like that. I could understand desperation but its clear that many of these scalpers are just greedy parasites who want to get rich off nothing and its likely they are going to die with nothing. 

10 hours ago, son of the forest said:

Going off Valraks lates video the scalpers at warhammer world actually skipped the queue by going in a side door, they really are the worst

If this is true that it more brilliantly symbolic then anything i could dream up.  

2 hours ago, Krelious said:

I To me this just seems obscene and just shows an absolute lack of human decency in some people, im rather not well off due to my health and I have at least one book outside my warhammer 40k collection thats worth over 700$ because its been banned off amazon. I would likely never sell it unless absolutely forced to because I cherish my books. I also dont think ripping people off is a worthwhile business endeavor when you didnt even produce the product in the first place, to me its just comes across as some kind of greed based insanity that I dont think translates well into having a happy life or positive human relationships, I mean if you are happy to rip off strangers what are you going to do to your loved ones? 

Are you new to how supply-demand and a unregulated market works? Like What they are doing is capitalism 101 and is the goal for most business/people.  Minimize risks/costs, maximize profit.  

I am all for combating scaplers, but making them out as some kind of uber evil group of bad human beings, when we are both probably typing this on devices made possible by child/near enough slave labor is craaaaaazy.  Its just very very very easy money. And funnily enough a pretty victimless 'crime'.  

Edited by Nagashsnee

3 hours ago, Nagashsnee said:

If this is true that it more brilliantly symbolic then anything i could dream up.  

Yep, it's true - people who were in the queue have posted about it on FB.

Apparently they were all told to wait in Bugmans whilst a decision was made by management on whether to sell the books to the scalpers.

Meanwhile the scalpers snuck inside WHW via another entrance and proceeded directly to the shop to each buy a copy.  The sales assistant having no idea what was going on all the way on the other side of WHW sold it to them with no issue.

24 minutes ago, Ubiquitous1984 said:

Yep, it's true - people who were in the queue have posted about it on FB.

Apparently they were all told to wait in Bugmans whilst a decision was made by management on whether to sell the books to the scalpers.

Meanwhile the scalpers snuck inside WHW via another entrance and proceeded directly to the shop to each buy a copy.  The sales assistant having no idea what was going on all the way on the other side of WHW sold it to them with no issue.

That is one of the funniest things i have heard in a good while, thanks for sharing! 

You cannot make this stuff up. If there was one time where you know tensions are higher and the public is probably going to hear about how well or not well it goes either way and it goes like this.

I feel bad for that sales assistant though, having worked in retail for a while I know they didn't have a good day

1 hour ago, darkhorse0607 said:

You cannot make this stuff up. If there was one time where you know tensions are higher and the public is probably going to hear about how well or not well it goes either way and it goes like this.

I feel bad for that sales assistant though, having worked in retail for a while I know they didn't have a good day

Yeah but surely the sales assistant saw the T Shirts they were wearing saying “scalpers rock” and the matching baseball caps right?

47 minutes ago, DukeLeto69 said:

Yeah but surely the sales assistant saw the T Shirts they were wearing saying “scalpers rock” and the matching baseball caps right?

Yeah, I was talking with my partner about this (kind of) because she is at least semi-interested in GW stuff. Even barring the fact that from what it sounds like there was almost a witch hunt in line (going off of, "we knew they were scalpers because they didn't know anything about Warhammer" being the story I've heard) I can't figure out why GW didn't have a better way of tracking what was going on. Granted I haven't done as much digging as I don't have a Facebook where I am assuming most of this stuff is being reported, but I feel like for a release like this, where you had people there overnight they should've had a ticket system? Or at least a paper saying "IOU one End and the Death" so the folks that were in line and eligible could've walked over to the BL store and shown it, gotten their book and that's that.

Regardless I've never seen a launch like this, at least in person, where folks were able to get around everything by going outside and coming back in, skipping the line by doing that and getting the book/item. I don't blame the sales associate at all, that poor person was probably just trying to enjoy their coffee, but the management should've had a better system in place. If the scalpers had waited in line and just happened to be at an appropriate spot to get the book, as much as it sucks I don't really have a problem with that, at least they're there waiting in line and people have an equal chance.

Of course if I'm missing something crucial or wrong about a certain detail I'll happily admit it, but given what I've seen so far it's wild

21 minutes ago, darkhorse0607 said:

Yeah, I was talking with my partner about this (kind of) because she is at least semi-interested in GW stuff. Even barring the fact that from what it sounds like there was almost a witch hunt in line (going off of, "we knew they were scalpers because they didn't know anything about Warhammer" being the story I've heard) I can't figure out why GW didn't have a better way of tracking what was going on. Granted I haven't done as much digging as I don't have a Facebook where I am assuming most of this stuff is being reported, but I feel like for a release like this, where you had people there overnight they should've had a ticket system? Or at least a paper saying "IOU one End and the Death" so the folks that were in line and eligible could've walked over to the BL store and shown it, gotten their book and that's that.

Regardless I've never seen a launch like this, at least in person, where folks were able to get around everything by going outside and coming back in, skipping the line by doing that and getting the book/item. I don't blame the sales associate at all, that poor person was probably just trying to enjoy their coffee, but the management should've had a better system in place. If the scalpers had waited in line and just happened to be at an appropriate spot to get the book, as much as it sucks I don't really have a problem with that, at least they're there waiting in line and people have an equal chance.

Of course if I'm missing something crucial or wrong about a certain detail I'll happily admit it, but given what I've seen so far it's wild

The people in the queue did have tickets indicating their position in the queue (this was self-policed by the people in the queue, WHW understandably didn't have anyone there at 9pm the night before when the queue started to form!)

10 minutes ago, Ubiquitous1984 said:

The people in the queue did have tickets indicating their position in the queue (this was self-policed by the people in the queue, WHW understandably didn't have anyone there at 9pm the night before when the queue started to form!)

Right so I guess my question then is where was the failure point? Or rather how did a ticketed queue system translate into folks leaving the line and then jumping ahead if they had numbered tickets?

1 hour ago, darkhorse0607 said:

Right so I guess my question then is where was the failure point? Or rather how did a ticketed queue system translate into folks leaving the line and then jumping ahead if they had numbered tickets?

The tickets were only issued by the people in the queue, to each other.  WHW was not involved with the tickets.  It was all self-policed so that no one could push in the queue, and if anyone had to leave to use the bathroom they could return to their spot.

As far as Joe Bloggs on the WHW cashier desk was concerned, the clock was 10am and there were two guys stood in front of him wanting to buy a book.  He didn’t know they were scalpers and even if he did, I very much doubt he would have had the authority to refuse their custom.  

1 hour ago, Ubiquitous1984 said:

The tickets were only issued by the people in the queue, to each other.  WHW was not involved with the tickets.  It was all self-policed so that no one could push in the queue, and if anyone had to leave to use the bathroom they could return to their spot.

Got it, thanks for filling in that gap for me. Again zero blame against the register person, I said that before but I just want to reiterate I'm not trying to blame them for anything

*edit

Also good on the folks in the queue for trying to keep it civilized

Edited by darkhorse0607