Full Dark Angel reveal

Well, these are spiffy.

i like belial and his pose a lot. 

the upgrade sprue is very nice, i think its not QUITE as nice as the Templar one, but does look promising for what to expect going forward. I have to admit i am doubtful that all chapters will get it, big 4 probably will, maybe ultramarines too, but i would be surprised if the other first foundings do - would be good if they did though!

companions are absolutely the stars of the show though, stunning miniatures, interesting they’re wearing tacticus, considering their pretty obvious status as redeemed fallen. So nice though

42 minutes ago, Marshal Rohr said:

The big four will all get the same treatment and a Primarch. Kind of ridiculous to pretend Blood Angels and Space Wolves won’t get the revamps too. 

I will die on the hill that BA are getting a bigger Sanguinor, rather than an alive Sanguinius. 

2 minutes ago, Wormwoods said:

I will die on the hill that BA are getting a bigger Sanguinor, rather than an alive Sanguinius. 

Considering what we currently know

Spoiler

The Sanguinor is technically Sanguinius, his best traits to be precise, so an updated fully powered Sanguinor is quite literally Sanguinius returning.

Just realized that among the decals coming in the box, there are some for at least 2 successor chapters, the Guardians of the Covenant and Angels of Redemption.

XXY1EjBxgmLSJOkG.thumb.jpg.2d7e2755da1f1e4f07666c15fd6f12cd2.jpg.9d739e2bb4453377264a3a01027461c2.jpg

65px-Guardians_of_the_Covenant_symbol.png.94de03fa58e574532b2ce011df2fc302.png108px-GuardiansOfTheCovenantPrimaris.jpg.db1bc9f1b1587a261b571ee51f29053c.jpg

65px-Angels_of_Redemption_Pad.jpg.9445cefaa402f44e0e979bf79b528bdd.jpg116px-AngelsOfRedemption.jpg.31264d82f0a162d50a2d13c9a1aaf2a4.jpg

Edited by mecanojavi99

10 minutes ago, TrawlingCleaner said:

I'm not fussed on any of the Dark Angels stuff but that looks like a Chaos Terminator lord with a Thunder Hammer?

The existing Terminator Lord is starting to show it's age a bit, so getting a new version isn't totally crazy I don't think.

1 hour ago, Marshal Rohr said:

The big four will all get the same treatment and a Primarch. Kind of ridiculous to pretend Blood Angels and Space Wolves won’t get the revamps too. 

Where have I pretended they won't? Seems a bit of an odd take.

My point is all first founding should have parity when it comes to upgrade sprues, I doubt they will though which I personally feel is wrong.

This DA upgrade sprue imo is great and should be the standard for all. GW from my perspective have really hit it out of the park

The current upgrade sprues though leave a lot to be desired.

Edited by Subtleknife

I only have a minor nitpick with the upgrade sprue. I love the various pads of different armour marks, but were missing the version for the Assault Intercessors / Sternguard with the full rim, embossed with the chapter motif. Given the prevalence of this armour mark through the last couple of editions, it might have been a solid choice. Just feels odd to miss this off the list in my opinion.

other than that, I’m really stoked for all of this. I would prefer a better shot of Belial (I think the pose doesn’t work well for photography) but no doubt we’ll see more in the coming weeks.

16 minutes ago, Lord Marshal said:

The existing Terminator Lord is starting to show it's age a bit, so getting a new version isn't totally crazy I don't think.

Well we need that kit for Termie Sorcs too so unless they split that into 2 different updated kits the current Termie Lord is probably staying.

Also quite disappointed by the Ravenwing Flag in the kit seemingly being the only Ravenwing related kit in the whole release, since I was banking on Ravenwing's need for many bikes to be where we got Bike Characters returning to Marines as a whole.

4 hours ago, Subtleknife said:

My point is all first founding should have parity when it comes to upgrade sprues, I doubt they will though which I personally feel is wrong.

I think it would be great for all

of them to get a sprue on the scale of the new one, but at the same time, what is it wrong for only the ones with their own codex to get sprues? How is it different from the situation with every other army in the game? 

issue really is most chapters just don’t draw the attention for it now sadly, the chance for that has flown, we saw that with the poor sales of the supplements for each chapter and presumably the existing upgrades, but who knows it might happen.

I’d love to see a longer edition with more sub factions getting actual model updates! 

Edited by Blindhamster

Very cool release. I hope the companions are easy to convert to regular bladeguard since I think they're really cool (and BA, SW and eventually UM get similar upgrade kits)

Do we think the codex being a supplement will mean they'll still get access to the original codex detachments?

3 hours ago, Closet Skeleton said:

Not a joke, just a matter of opinion.

The effect looks more Green if you're used to the Lion where the canvas is larger and there's other green on the model to bring out the green-ness but its impossible to tell 'green so dark its black' from 'black highlighted by green light'.

The armour is greener than the 'Eavy Metal Black Templars but that still doesn't mean it isn't black.

If you look at the way I paint the Black Legion in the link from my signature you can tell why I don't consider the highlight colour to determine how to interpret black armour but other people do sometimes confuse my models for Night Lords so its a matter of perspective.

Apparently you and I see color differently than everyone else.  I don't see green either.  Mine will be black highlighted mechanicus grey or dark reaper.

Surely they will still sell the ravenwing upgrade sprue.  That thing has a ton of stuff to where you really don' t need ravenwing on the new sprue.  I have at least two of them and don't feel like I need any more.

Edited by crimsondave

I feel like other then a refresh for Belial everything is just underwhelming or a step backwards. Like the Companions are neat, but they just seem like DA Specific Bladeguard.

The Upgrade sprue is great and all but the amount of items that are needed for a full squad is not there, like they just discontinued a full unique DA Terminator kit to give you a partial upgrade sprue with a Plasma Cannon. Don't be surprised if the Ravenwing units on bikes disappear and are replaced with nothing but a Datacard with "unique" rules.

The Primarisification of units is the Faustian Bargain. New Larger Scale, but less detail, less uniqueness, less 40k aesthetic, less rules, less units.

Trade in your K'Nex for Duplo blocks, it will be fine.

18 minutes ago, Blindhamster said:

I think it would be great for all

of them to get a sprue on the scale of the new one, but at the same time, what is it wrong for only the ones with their own codex to get sprues? How is it different from the situation with every other army in the game? 

issue really is most chapters just don’t draw the attention for it now sadly, the chance for that has flown, we saw that with the poor sales of the supplements for each chapter and presumably the existing upgrades, but who knows it might happen.

I’d love to see a longer edition with more subtractions getting actual model updates! 

Did the supplements sell badly? From the talk I saw I was under the impression they sold well. I don't work for GW though so I could be wrong.

Part of the problem why the minor 1st founding don't get the same sales could be they don't get the same attention. If you are new to the hobby, who are you going to collect the first founding with basically nothing or a fully fleshed out upgrade sprue, with extra models, primarch and supplements...kind of a no brainer.

They all should have parity on the upgrade sprue at the very least imo. 

But I will leave this topic here as it is detracting from the fantastic DA release.

Edited by Subtleknife

36 minutes ago, Indy Techwisp said:

Well we need that kit for Termie Sorcs too so unless they split that into 2 different updated kits the current Termie Lord is probably staying.

Rules team and design team arent always that wholesome ( as is shown by the updates in this topic actually Where some elements of one side of a dual kit also dissapear) .. if design team updates the chaos terminator lord its quite possible the sorcerer lord remains the old kit or even ( temporarily) dissapears. 

The chaos terminator lord/sorcerer is the oldest plastic character kit and while it still Works for people, i would not be suprised if it gets remade this or next round. ( i also think the generic 2 will dissapear from cult codexes, a path i think already started with WE )

All conjecture, but as i said before the update or purge behavior on pre-5th edition kits is harsher lately.

That said, its the same artist who had the chaos terminator with some sort of two handed mace in 8th edition vigilus stuff isnt it ( on mobile so cant check of detailed enough) ? While that artist takes less creative liberties on many elements it means there are clearly some for chaos Terminators ;) 

So, I actually read the article after looking at the pictures for an hour.  It is STRONLY hinted that the Inner Circle Companions are actually redeemed Fallen, aka Risen.  Now I'm even more excited for them.  As I expected, Asmodai is going along with whatever old Dad tells him to do.

Spoiler

The Dark Angels are secrecy incarnate, and the Inner Circle Companions are a mystery even to the Grand Masters of the Unforgiven Chapters. What is known is that they began to appear shortly after the return of Lion El’Jonson, safeguarding the Chapter’s mightiest heroes – Captains, Librarians, and legendary figures like Asmodai – with great sweeps of their Calibanite greatswords.

Quite where they come from and why they choose to bodyguard their charges is left unknown, as the Companions fight in complete silence save for the whine of their power armour and rare, highly encrypted messages between their brothers.