Full Dark Angel reveal

Something I notice about the standard on the Companions, the wings of the angle are being held shut but the scroll work bearing the Dark Angels name, preventing it from being fully exposed. Intentional or not I think it's a nice bit of symbology for the Dark Angels secretive and reclusive nature.

1 hour ago, The4thHorseman said:

I feel like other then a refresh for Belial everything is just underwhelming or a step backwards. Like the Companions are neat, but they just seem like DA Specific Bladeguard.

The Upgrade sprue is great and all but the amount of items that are needed for a full squad is not there, like they just discontinued a full unique DA Terminator kit to give you a partial upgrade sprue with a Plasma Cannon. Don't be surprised if the Ravenwing units on bikes disappear and are replaced with nothing but a Datacard with "unique" rules.

The Primarisification of units is the Faustian Bargain. New Larger Scale, but less detail, less uniqueness, less 40k aesthetic, less rules, less units.

Trade in your K'Nex for Duplo blocks, it will be fine.

Exactly this.  A step back compared to previous DA releases.

Liking the look of almost everything in the release, other than the continued stupidity of the under-armor cloth via the inner robes on the Companions this time.  There was zero reason that a dual layered robe around the outside of the armor wasn’t good enough - the robe never needed to be under the armor before.  (Please for the love of all that is holy and unholy, GW, do not make some stupid under-armor pelts for the Space Wolves.)

The swords are awesome, and so happy to see more two handed wielding on models.   The upgrade sprue is a much welcomed version over the previous one - it would have been improved to have additional greaves for the Terminators.  Belial looks great, although it would have been nice to have some DA iconography on his storm bolter, but a fantastic improvement over the previous (and robes over armor only!).

1 hour ago, 307kg said:

I love the companions. I wonder if they were originally supposed to be released with the Lion as part of his guard? Seems like they would be the unit to accompany him. 

I think that would have made sense. Still though, it does make me want to make a squad or two of Bladeguard and maybe Sternguard in this color scheme as a more expanded Risen component. Maybe even a squad of Deathwing Knights or Terminators painted up in this sort of scheme.

Nice reveal, I'm not sure how I'm going to afford any of it. All my hobby monies are going toward 2x 3000pt Legions Imperialis armies this coming year.

The Companions may be the first and only Mk10 dudes I ever buy, they'll defo be painted fallen/risen to compensate for Cawls' taint.

But needing two boxes of three dudes seems a rip-off. 

The Deathwing, DW Knights, Belial and upgrade sprue all seem nice, but apart from being bigger they aren't better than my current ones. Size ain't everything lolz.

If I ever get them they will be painted black like the Companions, with a green layer in the highlights for all you who need to look closer.

Edited by Interrogator Stobz

3 hours ago, TheMawr said:

The chaos terminator lord/sorcerer is the oldest plastic character kit and while it still Works for people, i would not be suprised if it gets remade this or next round. ( i also think the generic 2 will dissapear from cult codexes, a path i think already started with WE )

I hope that that they do what they did with the Daemon Prince kit, and sell a Terminator Lord kit with a choice of heads and shoulder pauldrons to be playable in each cult Legion or as vanilla CSM. It would require them putting Termie Lords back into WE, but they can do that in the 10th codex, as it’s a travesty that we lack such a basic option. They can name it a Skullsworn Bloodhulk or some other stupid trademark-friendly thing, but I want my Termie Lord back.

I sadly doubt the 6 codex compliant chapters will get the same love as the divergents when it comes to upgrade sprues. What is definitely needed at this stage is a generic upgrade sprue (in a similar format to the Horus heresy generic sprue) to include with older kits to make intercessors a bit more interesting and give sergeants upgrade options. Part of me wonders if 11th will see intercessors get a glow up with such a sprue to include special weapons also making tacticals obsolete. 

53 minutes ago, jimbo1701 said:

Part of me wonders if 11th will see intercessors get a glow up with such a sprue to include special weapons also making tacticals obsolete. 

Pretty much exactly what I'm expecting and when I'm expecting it.

Someone a while back (might have been blindhamster) suggested that when it does happen, they'll change the name of the kit to "Tactical Intercessors."

3 minutes ago, Lord Nord said:

Pretty much exactly what I'm expecting and when I'm expecting it.

Someone a while back (might have been blindhamster) suggested that when it does happen, they'll change the name of the kit to "Tactical Intercessors."

I don't know why, but the way Tactical Intercessors sounds, it feels really right and comfortable to me.

2 hours ago, FoursCompany said:

The image isn’t super clear, but that kind of looks like a 30k Deathwing icon on the banner bearers shoulder (2 crossed swords). 

IMG_0623.jpeg

IMG_0624.jpeg

It's not. It's the normal chapter symbol with a halo arching over the sword hilt. The Guardians of the Covenant chapter symbol (which is the 30k Deathwing symbol) is well represented on the decal sheet.

Overall, I'm okay with everything. I like what is on the upgrade sprue. I'm okay with a lack of molded DW greaves because it's a good place to put decals or texture. I'm okay with a more subtle look for Ravenwing Outriders. Gives more room for differentiation from (hopefully) an updated Black Knights kit. Perhaps Deathwing Command Squads will still be sold in their own boxes? Doesn't seem like they'll pull product they can market differently from the new stuff until they're out of it.

I am wondering if this "we need more upgrade options" is part of why GW has incorporated FW? If Necromunda and HH are any indication, that could be where we see more fleshed out upgrade sprues.

4 minutes ago, Kastor Krieg said:

One thing concerning to me is that the swords those Companions have are similar in size / proportions to the Cypher sword. And that was supposed to be Lion sized.

The Judiciar has a pretty honking great sword. My guess is the Companions will be similar to BGVs but will trade the Invulnerable save for higher strength attacks from their Greatswords.