Warhammer 40,000 in 2024

1 hour ago, TheMawr said:

you probably mean 9th ?

Custodes main unit and sisters of silence is 7th ( though at the far end )

Custodes named character, jetbikes, terminators and wardens were 8th

...no I mean since 7th. After 7th ed finished Custodes have gotten 3 models (I forgot about valoris how silly of me). The fw models all were out as well as I recall. 

We got Valoris and Valerian in 8th. 

Sword champ in 9th. 

So since 2018...3 models. Damn that's rough to type out. Half a decade of backburner. 

I think the plastic terminators and jetbikes were early 8th? Still not great of course :D

The Anathema range is like a total of 8 figures though, including 2 special characters and the acquisitor not playable in 40k because they can't be bothered to even give us a legends datasheet.

1 hour ago, Chapter Master Valrak said:

Kroot Cavarly, coming part of a brand new Kroot Only boxset

Looking forward to this one!

Been a Kroot fan since the day they released, and only got around to starting with them this year as a mercenary force for my Space Dwarves.

Mixing the old Kroot sculpts and the new Kroot sculpts, it is crazy how well their original design has stood the test of time.

18 minutes ago, phandaal said:

Looking forward to this one!

Been a Kroot fan since the day they released, and only got around to starting with them this year as a mercenary force for my Space Dwarves.

Mixing the old Kroot sculpts and the new Kroot sculpts, it is crazy how well their original design has stood the test of time.

The range in sculpt quality is mind boggling. The fact that the Eldar Falcon was first released in 1997, and still basically holds up, besides maybe the pilot models, is amazing. Compare that to horrors like the original Noise marines with the crab claw and other nonsense, or 3rd edition Dark Eldar and it feels like it came from two unrelated companies.

1 hour ago, Rain said:

The range in sculpt quality is mind boggling. The fact that the Eldar Falcon was first released in 1997, and still basically holds up, besides maybe the pilot models, is amazing. Compare that to horrors like the original Noise marines with the crab claw and other nonsense, or 3rd edition Dark Eldar and it feels like it came from two unrelated companies.

I remember waiting for noise marines, waiting in the school yard and a friend bounding over with the new white dwarf 206 when they released. I was so disappointed. I hope the plastics when they eventually arrive, blow my socks off as much as 14 year old me was disappointed. 

There's a lot of love out there for Kroot- they were certainly the highlight for me.

I loved knarlocs greater and lesser, as well as knarloc riders. This silhouette doesn't really look like a knarloc rider, but silhouettes can be deceiving. Would I be happy with a Kroot riding some kind of new beastie? Sure. But I'd really rather have a good Knarloc Rider kit- it feels like a waste to develop a new creature when the older, established creature is so good.

Time will tell. exciting news either way.

It’s odd that it ISNT a Knarloc, but on the other hand there is nothing wrong with it lorewise. Kroot forms are diverse, I’m sure they have a variety of beasts for similar tasks

i probably won’t get a box set. Not that I don’t want it (I do), but GW suckered me into Seraphon and FEC boxes and my backlog is just too big

Agreed that the design holds up really well. The Carnivores are great looking sculpts.

And the Knarlocs are kinda insane still to this day. 20 year old models now?

So much story telling on a sculpt. (Painted by Ben Komets. The trailer hitch is custom, but all the baggage and meat come standard)

a5641754dfdd9d2f13d438ef8894e8d6.jpg

2 hours ago, sitnam said:

It’s odd that it ISNT a Knarloc, but on the other hand there is nothing wrong with it lorewise. Kroot forms are diverse, I’m sure they have a variety of beasts for similar tasks

i probably won’t get a box set. Not that I don’t want it (I do), but GW suckered me into Seraphon and FEC boxes and my backlog is just too big

My geuss is it's more of a battle beast where the gnarlocs were kinda like sniper recon type role. That things sillhouette looks like it would be at home in Monster Hunter. Huge and predatory looking.

seems forgone that the custodes is a character, but i personally would've loved a unit of custodian hoplites, having pyrithite would've given them an actual anti-tank option without having to turn to forgeworld. in all honesty, looking at plastics, Custodes are almost as incomplete as World Eaters.

16 hours ago, ThePenitentOne said:

There's a lot of love out there for Kroot- they were certainly the highlight for me.

I loved knarlocs greater and lesser, as well as knarloc riders. This silhouette doesn't really look like a knarloc rider, but silhouettes can be deceiving. Would I be happy with a Kroot riding some kind of new beastie? Sure. But I'd really rather have a good Knarloc Rider kit- it feels like a waste to develop a new creature when the older, established creature is so good.

Time will tell. exciting news either way.

It could be something called a Krootor, which is basically a crocodile with sensory spines on its head, has teeth and a big tail. Im still unsure if what they are riding is actually krootis but it could be this very rare old lore creature.

image.png.77bb1167a1076dc7059bbe35c172d64d.pngimage.thumb.png.1193759071e10c6a187a6a160d58f238.png

13 hours ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

Not so odd if it turns out to be Nazdreg.

I dont think its Nazdreg at all and we wont be seeing the fat git for quite some time (if ever personally), the way they wrote him off in Arks of Omen feel like an offscreen death to me and the model just doesnt scream Nazdreg at all. He isnt a Mek at all just a very rich and fat Warlord, the model shown with the brightened details doesnt have a single Badmoon (or any clan) glyph on it which any self absorbed Badmoon would be caked in iconography (being the flashiest clan). Then we go to its head, we can kind of make out what is going on there, it looks to have a banemask style apparatus over its mouth which could be some form of vox and then goggles, no Badmoon is gonna hide his gob full of teef. The ork itself doesnt look fat, and isnt in mega-armour, just a paragon/dreadknight style warsuit. Then the Mek has a Traktor Kannon, Nazdreg has either a supa shoota or the kustom blasta X as his weapon in the lore.

Whatever this new character is its 100% a mek, maybe a mekboss instead of a big mek (like Buzzgob from FW), if its a unique character who knows but im leaning towards it being generic, seeing as we cant see any clan symbols which normally would be plastered all over a specific clan characters bosspole. 

Edited by Deffrekka

On 12/26/2023 at 3:47 PM, 01RTB01 said:

Grotsnik was a death skull but has essentially become Ghaz's personal dok and iirc didn't have the death skull keywords. I'd have to check. Goffs have 3 named characters ghaz, makari and zagstrukk. Just be because Badrukk is a freebooter doesn't mean Grotsnik isn't either. In the same vain, Zodgrod is a freebooting snakebite after he got kicked out for shooting a mek through his own shokk attack gun.

Zhardsnark was released but wasn't "main" GW or plastic. 

Lorewise Grotsnik is a Bad Dok and got kicked out of his tribe for the night of head explosions he caused. So he is still a Deathskull by breed just like Badrukk is a Badmoon, hes just no longer in his clan and got taken on by Ghaz after he saved his life from the bolter lobotomy Ghaz endured. Id still count FW characters, pretty sure Buzzgob has been mentioned in the previous 2 codexes even if it was just a passing line.  

Is there lore as to whether Orks have genetic predispositions for certain behavior based on what Klan spored them, or if it’s purely cultural thing? Does a feral Ork that gets picked up by and joins a roving band of Bad Moons end up good wiv teef, while one that gets picked up by Snakebites develops a longing for the good ole days? Or is it more like Marine geneseed which causes certain traits at the genetic level?

Edited by Rain

7 minutes ago, Rain said:

Is there lore as to whether Orks have genetic predispositions for certain behavior based on what Klan spored them, or if it’s purely cultural thing? Does a feral Ork that gets picked up by and joins a roving band of Bad Moons end up good wiv teef, while one that gets picked up by Snakebites develops a longing for the good ole days? Or is it more like Marine geneseed which causes certain traits at the genetic level?

The brainboyz who created the ork race gave them genetically coded knowledge/aptitudes for certain tasks. So mekboyz are born with an innate talent for machinery, painboyz are natural surgeons etc.

I know, I was asking about the Klan shared behaviors, not the roles such as Mek, Dok, etc.

For example, Bad Moons are rich and flashy, Snakebites are traditional and semi-feral, Deathskulls are kleptomaniacs, etc. I assume that these are genetic as well, but I’m not sure if there’s actual canon on the subject.

I've never seen any mention of Orky sexual reproduction, so AFAIK no gene sharing or dominant/recessive traits, etc. Given that, I doubt that 'genetics' as we use the term really applies to Orks. Most Orks will develop traits consistent with one of the well know Clans and will seek out their fellows; those that don't typically become Freebooterz, or end up dead.

Personally, I think Gork, or possibly Mork, decides.

Edited by andes
fix typo

6 minutes ago, andes said:

I've never seen any mention of Orky sexual reproduction, so AFAIK no gene sharing or dominant/recessive traits, etc. Given that, I doubt that 'genetics' as we use the term really applies to Orks. Most Orks will develop traits consistent with one of the well know Clans and will seek out their fellows; those that don't typically become Freebooterz, or end up dead.

Personally, I think Gork, or possibly Mork, decides.

Or Mork, or possibly Gork :D