Las Vegas Open Preview Stream - January 18th/19th

The TIC (Telford International Centre) is indeed a good size and with three big, rectangular halls and plenty of side rooms would provide flexibility.  I head there every year for the IPMS 2 day show.  I would argue against it for two reasons.

First is the location of Telford which whilst central is not that easy to get to particularly by public transport.  For example it was easier to get to Manchester for WarhammerFest then it ever has been to get to Telford.  

Second is the size of Telford.  The hotel costs for a weekend are astronomical and it's such a captive market there is little cost difference from big hotels to small B&Bs.  Whereas a city like Manchester, other than directly around the event location will have plenty of other options at a range of prices.  Plus there is very little to do other than attend the show which also limits appeal if it's going to be an expensive weekend.

So the centre might be what GW are looking for but the town may be too restrictive.

2 hours ago, Nova-V said:

The TIC (Telford International Centre) is indeed a good size and with three big, rectangular halls and plenty of side rooms would provide flexibility.  I head there every year for the IPMS 2 day show.  I would argue against it for two reasons.

First is the location of Telford which whilst central is not that easy to get to particularly by public transport.  For example it was easier to get to Manchester for WarhammerFest then it ever has been to get to Telford.  

Second is the size of Telford.  The hotel costs for a weekend are astronomical and it's such a captive market there is little cost difference from big hotels to small B&Bs.  Whereas a city like Manchester, other than directly around the event location will have plenty of other options at a range of prices.  Plus there is very little to do other than attend the show which also limits appeal if it's going to be an expensive weekend.

So the centre might be what GW are looking for but the town may be too restrictive.

This would be bad for locals/ UK peeps, but for people coming in from overseas potentially (like myself), being more upmarket isn't really a bad thing in my eyes. If anything, GW's past ones look a bit cut rate for the company they are today. Its not the late 90's- early/ mid 2000's anymore. These things should be better done now. 

From the running jokes from my buddies who live nearby, Telford is not upmarket, quite the opposite :D I think @Nova-V's point is there isnt a broad range/availability of accommodation rather than its too fancy. 

Not been there myself though, and inter town rivalries are definitely a thing lol

10 minutes ago, Taliesin said:

So for Heresy you guys are expecting the Solar Auxilia reveal, with  a supplement book?

If they don't reveal them I dunno what they are waiting for. Seems like it's time with all the stuff going sold out on the website.

So fairly frequently, I whine a bit about Heresy Era stuff for its exclusion of so many 40k factions, but I gotta say I do keep my eye on their plastics, because if they have legends datacards for 40k and feel thematic for GK or Deathwatch, they grab my attention. I could see a Spartan in either army.

But Solar Auxilia? I am very interested in any of their plastic, because I might be able to use it for Imperial Agent material in 40k- be that Inquisition, Navy or Rogue Trader.

Which means I might actually have a lot of stuff to look forward to in this preview.

Edited by ThePenitentOne

8 hours ago, Dark Shepherd said:

Wasnt Coventry used before?

Is that just too small now or gone bust?

I think they did a few? I went there for the 2018 Warhammerfest - did a panel on adapting Warhammer Lore with my counterparts at Creative Assembly. Was vaguely embarrassed the whole time.

I understand the local Brits are not a fan of Coventry but this Canadian thought it was pretty accommodating and enjoyed myself. :) 

Edited by Wispy

11 minutes ago, Kharn13 said:

Any chance of a peek at CSM or an updated roadmap at LVO? Or maybe some of Valraks confirmed Blood Angels? :biggrin:

Nah. The next three codexes are Orks, Custodes and Tau, and I doubt we’ll even see Tau yet. We should get a new roadmap though. 

If we get sight of any Tau, it'd just be the single kroot rider from the new year preview. I'm more interested in seeing if the rumours about combat patrols being changed across the board are true (I know we're 4 for 4 at the moment but 2 of them was Leviathan figures, and the old necron one had a flyer in it...but was good as an add on for Indomitus). Quite like the look of the current DA one 

Are GW really trying to blame the venue in Manchester for their own piss poor organisation and not hiring events people with events management training and experience? :laugh: Piss up and brewery spring to mind. Now wonder they're blacklisted by venues.

Anyway, hoping something for HH that actually moves momentum along. While I wouldn't get them seeing a SA release would definitely pick up interest. As for 40k I'm not sure my bank balance can take any more DA, so something like Orks would be nice.

I’ve done various venues over the years, I think they’ve all broadly been pretty similar, they regularly don’t have the space in the seminars and too much open space with nothing to do in the main halls. 

that said, I actually didn’t mind Coventry either. 

generally prefer central Birmingham for it, but that’s just because I happen to live there these days haha

9 minutes ago, TheMalius said:

Are GW really trying to blame the venue in Manchester for their own piss poor organisation and not hiring events people with events management training and experience? :laugh: Piss up and brewery spring to mind. Now wonder they're blacklisted by venues.

Would be interested to hear more on this - I haven't seen anything to say that GW are blaming the GMEX/Manchester Central for Warhammer Fest, other than Joe's comment which 'refers to issues with the venue'

There was loads of space in Manchester that could have been better utilised, not sure how GW could be unhappy with anyone other than themselves, unless Manchester Central told them to stick to a certain floor plan which seems doubtful

13 minutes ago, TheMalius said:

Geedub blamed the venue because they failed to provide appropriate toilet facilities (more than half of the toilets on-site were closed or had other significant issues) and failed to provide the security they were contracted for until the last day of the event (leading to significant theft issues at the stores). Mike Brandt has a pretty proven track record for running events (despite my grievances with the over-focus on the gaming area), and the staff they had on-hand were excellent. 

I attended another event at Manchester Central in June / July that had the exact same issues that cropped up at WHFest. It's an awful venue with awful management.

13 hours ago, Taliesin said:

So for Heresy you guys are expecting the Solar Auxilia reveal, with  a supplement book?

That's my hope. Could be that they preview the Command Squad or some Consuls instead, and save the bigger reveal to Warhammer Fest as someone else mentioned earlier in the thread. But Heresy ended 2023 with some good momentum, so I hope they keep that up with a bigger reveal and supplement.

7 minutes ago, The Praetorian of Inwit said:

It won't happen but it would be nice if we got a Lieutenant in Gravis Armour and a Lieutenant with Jump Pack. 

Yeah I think both of those won't happen till next edition at least honestly.

Lieutenant in Gravis actually isn't needed when the biologis is basically exactly that too.