Deathwatch: Murderers in Black (OOC Thread)

Lysimachus

3 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Be interesting to have Chekov's Alien Gun identified, since Kroot Rifles could be a thing (GM mysteries), but first contact with the Kroot wasn't until M41.

First official contact. The treaty between Kroot and Tau was late M38 and Kroot warspheres have been around since shortly after the first Kroot – Ork contact, so the potential for Kroot mercenaries in the wider galaxy should be a possibility, and for a tau ammunition modified kroot rifle as well (but less likely than traditional ammunition kroot rifle). 

I may also have (temporarily) forgotten what millennia we are in.   :facepalm:

4 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

@Trokair how about a forbidden lore Xenos test on the way out?

Oh definitely, once she is back in her room with access to books and cogitator there will be some lore tests, need to figure out what happen in Hives of Corellageon after all.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Trokair said:

First official contact. The treaty between Kroot and Tau was late M38 and Kroot warspheres have been around since shortly after the first Kroot – Ork contact, so the potential for Kroot mercenaries in the wider galaxy should be a possibility, and for a tau ammunition modified kroot rifle as well (but less likely than traditional ammunition kroot rifle). 

I may also have (temporarily) forgotten what millennia we are in.   :facepalm:

See answer below.

On 1/15/2024 at 6:57 PM, Lysimachus said:

Timeline: Approx. late 38th Millenium, so well before anything in recent history, like the Badab War, 13th Black Crusade, Primaris, or anything after that. However, that date is well after the 23rd Founding, so any official Chapter (pre-Ultima Founding) is still fair game to be included.

NB. Obviously, Tyranids and Tau haven't arrived on the scene yet, so PCs won't be aware of them. Early-rising Necrons or advance/scout Genestealers could in theory have been encountered, though they wouldn't have been identified by the Imperium or the Deathwatch as such.

Edited by Machine God
Trimming blurbs

@Xin Ceithan  Zidemi will follow Amaras' lead in the investigation of the mysterious toxin, and will observe for the most part.

1 hour ago, Lysimachus said:

"Some problem with the prototype tox-munition rounds we issued for testing?”

@Lysimachus As overseer of the Forge and Armoury, will I be aware of this "tox-munition" and any trials for it?

The 'experimental tox rounds' bit was just me future proofing in case anyone wants to req Hellfire Rounds in the game at any point, even though we are in m.38 before they exist! :laugh: And just to show that DW Marines don't usually visit the labs, so he's trying to think of why you might be there?

@Mike Zulu Zidemi would likely have access to records of the trials of these rounds, as his predecessor would have known about them, but no personal experience of using them. Perhaps some of the previous members of KT Lucifer might have taken them on their previous missions?

As I'm late getting my IC post up, anyone want the wolf to go anywhere in particular? I was thinking about having him crash the refectory and help our Oothecan brother's investigations there with some refined culinary observations, but I can equally well put him on the trail of this mysterious sage and have him talk to the giant alongside Bek.

I'll post when I get done in the garden, don't want to miss the brief window when it isn't raining.

Posted (edited)

@Mazer Rackham re: Azadth and his culinary exploits:

A good friend of mine, who is a chef, told me he once worked in a restaurant a number of years ago with this line cook who would, quite literally, pull great searing pans of food out of the oven barehanded, and carry them across the kitchen to the plating area like it was no big deal.

Edited by Necronaut

@Mazer Rackham

I‘ll have to run that by our omniscient GM first , I‘m afraid.

And I have zero idea myself if needle weapons ( or at least the one in question) are supposed to function - e.g. if there is supposed to be some sort of recoil involved or  powdered charge , which would affect things like contact bruising IMO

@Xin Ceithan
Supposedly, the needler works by using a “low-powered” laser beam (ie lasgun) to propel crystallised toxin, fashioned into fine darts, at the target. The toxin dissolves into the bloodstream once it enters the target’s body.

In addition, the laser weakens the entry point before the dart makes contact. The laser itself is also not in the visible spectrum.

Trying to remember exactly what I've said previously, don't want to unintentionally contradict myself over the details... :laugh:

Basically, it's fairly clear that it's either a hypodermic needle or dart entry wound. There isn't a lot of extra damage around the wound, suggesting that it was done quickly and cleanly. Professional.

Obviously it's in a difficult spot on his body to have been shot from a gun, but if it was inserted manually then the person who did it must have been very adept at remaining undetected beforehand in order to get close enough to apply it (and for that matter, very fast to avoid retaliation while the contents took effect!)

@Lysimachus :thanks:

This where it get’s slippery pretty fast into the rabbit hole of imaginary forensics when discussing the details.

If we take @Mazer Rackham‘s info on the potential workings of the “default” needler into consideration, I’d argue that it’s an initial thermic entry   wound pattern with successive pressure-tear damage and follow up cauterisation? I have idea if someone could differentiate that from say a power field wound on the technology available? 
The toxin residue is strong hint that it’s not just a blade, but it might be a sort of CC weapon delivering that…

And there are possibly a lot of other patterns to the default STC thing…

Unless the GM wants to use something to steer the story along, I’d advise ruling that since an Apothecary isn’t a full fledged Magos Biologis or at least forensic adept, he can give a broad direction and we don’t worry to much over the potential forensic details…

@Lysimachus & @Xin Ceithan Apologies for the queries. The wound is on the inside of his arm, about mid-bicep, is that right? Which arm was it - I read it a couple of times, but I don't think it was mentioned?

Cards on the table here, I'm trying to rule stuff out, but doing it IC whilst letting the others go about their investigative business with their own theories and posts - if that makes sense?

1 hour ago, Mazer Rackham said:

@Lysimachus & @Xin Ceithan Apologies for the queries. The wound is on the inside of his arm, about mid-bicep, is that right? Which arm was it - I read it a couple of times, but I don't think it was mentioned?

Cards on the table here, I'm trying to rule stuff out, but doing it IC whilst letting the others go about their investigative business with their own theories and posts - if that makes sense?

No worries!  I totally see what you are going for :wink:

But this is exactly where the details matter, non?  I was halfway through wondering about things like if I should inquire about Schmauchspuren  (I didn’t find an easy English term on the fly ) on the arm and if a needle would cause it? Or the dimensions of the blade Gerhardt used..or.. stuff…

Maybe I should apologize? I feel like one of those nerds derailing stuff on the internet.. oh.. wait…:laugh:

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Xin Ceithan said:

Schmauchspuren

Gunshot Residue (GSR)?

You need to be careful with this German stuff. I have been waiting for YEARS to do things like THIS:

Spoiler

This is a Gebirgsjäger

31 minutes ago, Xin Ceithan said:

Maybe I should apologize?

Lol, no. Don't you dare. :tongue:

(Because then I will have to :angel: ).

Edited by Mazer Rackham

3 hours ago, Xin Ceithan said:

Unless the GM wants to use something to steer the story along, I’d advise ruling that since an Apothecary isn’t a full fledged Magos Biologis or at least forensic adept, he can give a broad direction and we don’t worry to much over the potential forensic details…

This, purely because it makes my life so much easier... :laugh:

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mazer Rackham said:

You need to be careful with this German stuff. I have been waiting for YEARS to do things like THIS:

Hide contents

This is a Gebirgsjäger

and how do you go about tracking and killing the mountains? 

as prey goes I can see that they don't move much, but there also is an awful lot each individual

Edited by Trokair

1 hour ago, Trokair said:

and how do you go about tracking and killing the mountains? 

as prey goes I can see that they don't move much, but there also is an awful lot each individual

I am not at liberty to say, but as one who earned the right to bear the Edelweiss a merry former member of the Erste Gebirgsdivision , I can offer a few hints…like that  a certain amount of patience does come in handy. That, and a  shovel… :wink:

32 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

@GM, what angle was the needle wound? Straight or canted? If the latter, what angle?

Because I'm not sure what that would mean one way or the other (zero medical/forensic knowledge here! :biggrin:) I don't know? If you can let me know what you think it might tell you, I can decide which it would be?

Also, I think up until now I've completely misunderstood what the Mountain Rescue Service actually does...

2 hours ago, Lysimachus said:

Alda: It is difficult to tell, but the Bulwark's records do not list anyone leaving with Lord Inquisitor Kine when he went to Corellageon, from either his own Ordo Xenos or from the mysterious Hereticus cell.

GM guidance please, is this a dead end? Just trying to gage if this is just Alda failed roll or if there is nothing to find this way and Alda needs to rethink her approach to the question of Kine.

1 hour ago, Trokair said:

GM guidance please, is this a dead end? Just trying to gage if this is just Alda failed roll or if there is nothing to find this way and Alda needs to rethink her approach to the question of Kine.

Well, I mean it was a failed roll so Alda wasn't going to find anything too interesting... :tongue:

...but at the same time, the very fact that there is no information available (or it's all been removed?) might suggest that something odd is going on?