Adeptus Custodes Shield-Captain + Battleforce + Codex

9 minutes ago, Marshal Valkenhayn said:

Big pass. But Custodes being able to take shields and spears in 40K would be interesting. Mostly I'm just vibing and waiting to see if axes get fixed in the book. All my terminators have axes and I love the models, but god are they piss poor currently.

Same.

If the new big box they're throwing this guy into had 10 wardens and 3 jetbikes id buy two. Now I'm not even sure if I'm gonna buy one. Big disappoint. 

Not gonna harp on the model too much as we’ve all established that DAT BOY IS WIDE. The shield itself is perfect in my opinion, though.  Regardless, the most atrocious part of this release is that uninspired codex cover, yuck! The 9th Ed. book didn’t look great but this one makes me want to gag.

Come on, guys, he's great.

I mean, for the first mini designed by the website interrns, he's great.

They obviously finished making such a wonderful webstore and got sent to the studio to help there.

Each edition it seems like they know less and less what to do with Custodes, to say nothing of SoS. And the codex cover is just...ick.

The perspective seems slightly off, the spear is cropped awkwardly, and there's something about the rendering that's throwing me. Just doesn't mesh right, especially compared to the Ork one, which looks pretty good.

And they still haven't gotten the gold-on-blue scheme from the 9th codex to look right, either (it's a curse, some say).

4 hours ago, Zoatibix said:

And maybe it’s the angle but is he losing almost half of his blade? Or are we going for a shootin’ while a’ stabbin’ vibe? 

IMG_6216.jpeg

The sharp bit starts once it's past the barrel, and eith how large everything is in regards to custodes that still probably half a meter of power sword, enough to bisect just about any infantry target.

Overall he's fine imo, can't really stand out as a paragon of the Imperium if the whole army is paragons of the Imperium. Now to wait and see if the general fix of a bit of greenstuff in the midriff applies to this one as well.

The worst part of this model is that with the way 10th rules work everyone is gonna wanna use this guy. But anyway it seems to me this guy was meant to be an alternate blade champion and they just decided to make him a captain cuase well look at him. Yes that spear is as smartly designed as the redemptor and aggressors power fists that can't punch without destroying the gun component someone on the design staff really needs to think about thier work before calling it finished.

I kind of like the concept on paper. Shield and spear, more Greek influence. But the execution is questionable at best. Not convinced at all.

Also it was frustrating enough locking special characters to combat patrols (Farsight etc) but locking him to a massive battle force size box is kinda insulting. Especially with Custodes. The range is so small that there's only so many more bikes and terminators existing players are likely to need. The range needs unit variety and plastic dreads/tanks not another shield captain.

when the custodian guard first came out, back before primaris, they were massive and cool. now, they feel almost shrimpy in comparison to new marines (its insane how much larger gravis marines are than allarus terminators.) i've felt for a while now that custodians need their legs/torso to be scaled up by 20%, and this shield captain desperately needs it. he also feels less detailed than previous custodes as well, at least to my eye. blade champion was far superior, as even though he was a departure from the ususual custodian design, his somewhat cut-down armor suited the idea of a lightning fast swordmaster. this captain feels like some aristocrat wearing too-big armor to give himself a sense of importance. do like the spear and shield tho.

Edited by MaximusTL