Adeptus Custodes Shield-Captain + Battleforce + Codex

I loath that he is in blade champion armour. 

Why in the flip would he be in cloth top and pants? Absolutely stupid move.

I do really hope that the cloth draping over the shield is not actually an indent into the shield and the arm can be salvaged without the stupid cape. 

Did anyone peek the codex btw? Why does GW literally loath custodes so much?

Edited by Hellex_The_Thanatar

15 minutes ago, Agramar_The_Luna_Wolf said:

Nothing more to add, your honour 

All I’ll add is that I’m usually not terribly hard to please compared to a lot of the fanbase.  The newer models have been a big W for me lately.  Sure there has been some that weren’t for me but this and stilt boy are the only ones recently I give a hard fail.  Just no.

I am wondering with the melta spear with this new captain will lead to other kits/units getting stats for new weapons?  We have the models on the website now (old FW upgrades), and we know GW will add options to kits via Kill Team.  So it would not break the "no model, no rules" rule GW has and also opens up for a Custodes Guard Kill Team box shortly after the new codex or even at the same time/month.  

Woah woah woah slow down. Have you all forgotten this?

10th edition’s single “height exaggerated winner” has already been awarded. Praise the Omnissiah for this, let me jog your memory.

large.IMG_5849.jpeg.c2d9c8fe929cd71ea36b

I’m planning on using custodes for my allies. I’m getting the box set so I can have the “long and short of it” themed army.

Enjoy your single miniature custodes players. I feel your pain.

11 minutes ago, marspeople said:

Custodes should be bigger than Terminators right? Maybe not as wide but at least as tall.

In the recent Chris Wraight books they are described as generally taller than Primaris Marines.

IIRC There’s one unusually huge Minotaurs Marine hero who is almost the same size as the Custodes protagonist.

Custodes are still kinda stuck on that 7th edition scale like Rubric Marines or plastic MkIV. Ironically a thunderstrike-esque loss of G I R T H and a couple of milimeters of height would do them some good.

Might also sell the idea of them being warriors weaving through combat instead of kegs barrelling through.

I wonder if part of the stumpy look is that he's missing the iconic Custodes cone helmet.  I think missing that and replacing it with the crest messes up the silhouette and makes him look Votaan-ish.  It's kind of a bummer how GW seems to be changing up the Custodes armor between this guy and the new blade champion.  They seem more like changes for change's sake, or needing a new model for business reasons.  I'm on board with more mobile units like the bikes and venetarii being more lightly armored and having different helmets, but I would have liked regular foot dudes to have the full armor and helmet.  

While I'm fine with officers having different gear that's a little more ornate, I think you nail that this silhouette is the biggest issue. It screams Votaan when you're just looking at the outline, even tho I think the model itself looks custodes enough.

I've gone back and forth on whether I like it or not and I think I do. The shoulders are comically oversized even in a game that normally plays off oversized pauldrons as happenstance. And the shield, although cool, is very different than anything else the custodes use.

Hopefully the spear tip is easy to remove because I'm gonna replace it with a regular spear blade. The Optimus Prime Wrist Blade look for the blade is not good. 

On 3/2/2024 at 6:58 PM, Progenitor said:

It looks like someone's conversion of an AoS Stormcast Eternal model into 40k with some dodgy proportions. Really not a fan of it. 

The vast majority of AoS Stormcast converted to Custodes look a lot better than this model.

Edited by jaxom
Toned down how I described the model.

This looks awful. Custodes are in a weird spot generally with scale imo, which is understandable due to when they launched. However, I feel GW just don't know what to do with them design wise. You had the odd looking allarus, the blade champion is oddly posed to me too and now this. I don't know what GW would need to change it but I feel they need to come at Custodes, when they design the models, from a different direction. The 30k stuff looks great. The 40k stuff...not so much.

I suspect they need to just ignore what they've done with Primaris being so large, as well as much of the new stuff that is all getting bigger, so they maintain quality. Otherwise they'll have to put Custodes up to like Contemptor size :laugh:

I only partly jest - the scale of Custodes being out because Primaris Marines are so big will just have to be something GW has to put up with lest they envision rebuilding all Custodes to absolutely humongous scale. There has to be a practical limit after all.

On 3/4/2024 at 4:05 AM, Nephaston said:

Custodes are still kinda stuck on that 7th edition scale like Rubric Marines or plastic MkIV. Ironically a thunderstrike-esque loss of G I R T H and a couple of milimeters of height would do them some good.

Might also sell the idea of them being warriors weaving through combat instead of kegs barrelling through.

Plastic mkiv was released at 2015, the design may completed earlier, around similar time with tactical squads(released 2014). Even comparing with newer HH models it feel horribly dwarf-y, no need to mention primaris.