Adeptus Custodes Shield-Captain + Battleforce + Codex

52 minutes ago, jaxom said:

Thank you, @Zoatibix! I read them on ebook, so the cover gets skipped over. I think they're an excellent example of how the miniatures just don't match up:

image.thumb.png.5f947c6874ec4a40be4e67dbe95c214d.png

The proportions are completely different, 

Holy hypercephalic Custode :D

6 hours ago, jaxom said:

Is there any Custodes art that provides a good basis for miniature design? All the ones I can think of are very stylized.

IMO None have matched the original artwork.

From the original Visions of Heresy.

The Customs should look tall, regal, statuesquely proportioned, as the Emperor's perfect hand-crafted confidants and bodyguards, in comparison to the often ugly giganticism of the Astartes. Modern

art and models don't quite communicate it to the same degree.

I think in particular the weapons on the models are far too big, losing the elegance they are supposed to evoke.

The Aquilon terminators from Forgeworld I think do the best job of matching the art and nailing the mix of elegance and armour that is the Custodes.

I know they should be genemodified freaks but come on!

GW should do a redo of the Custodes proportion wise like they did with Stormcast and the Dominion box launch. They are way better proportioned, even the annihilators which are the chonkiest stormcast look sleek compared to this barrel boy.

tumblr_inline_pf7xmhjNe61tjgo0b_250.jpg.64ae6d50243555d3c7f28226d97ad793.jpgArmour was a mistake, go back to the original Custodes designs. ;) 

On a side note, the original Laser spears are actually a much better idea than the bolter spears, less moving parts in the hitty bit of the polearm and it feels less odd to have a girthier las weapon than bolter if that makes any sense? Helps separate them from Marines too.

3 hours ago, Noserenda said:

tumblr_inline_pf7xmhjNe61tjgo0b_250.jpg.64ae6d50243555d3c7f28226d97ad793.jpgArmour was a mistake, go back to the original Custodes designs. ;) 

On a side note, the original Laser spears are actually a much better idea than the bolter spears, less moving parts in the hitty bit of the polearm and it feels less odd to have a girthier las weapon than bolter if that makes any sense? Helps separate them from Marines too.

vdzp8l6opcndl72n70nj.png

well, this 3rd party "Doujin" product seems having more accurate proportion:tongue:

These are great in regards to proportions, all they're missing imo is a good helping of some greenstuff details or maybe some more transplants besides the helmet, shoulders, and spear, like the tassets and/or the greaves.

So we know now, nothing new for SoS.

I'm so far from fielding SoS that I never actually looked closely at the index for custodes, but I checked a few things out before posting. So SoS can be a solo detachment, because they have HQ and Battleline units. But SoS get no access to Ka'tah, they can't use any of the base enhancements, and only two of the strats.

My question to folks further down the Custodes rabbit hole than I: 1) do you think there will be at least one detachment in the dex that favours SoS (ie. all 4 enhancements and all six strats WILL work for SoS) and 2) does anyone other than me even want one? 

Id expect at least one (But probably just that) Anathema detachment in the codex, the last book almost gave us a fully playable list after all so the will seems to be there, i suspect they largely got cut down again due to space in the Index but right now the various Sisters units dont really work solo and dont really do much to help a Custodes list because we fill a similar niche and they nerfed the psychic defence through the floor so fairly pointless choices mechanically.

Dont forget the other Talon GW! At least SGS ignore us only 90% of the time lol.

On 3/3/2024 at 9:28 AM, brother_b said:

Woah woah woah slow down. Have you all forgotten this?

10th edition’s single “height exaggerated winner” has already been awarded. Praise the Omnissiah for this, let me jog your memory.

large.IMG_5849.jpeg.c2d9c8fe929cd71ea36b

I’m planning on using custodes for my allies. I’m getting the box set so I can have the “long and short of it” themed army.

Enjoy your single miniature custodes players. I feel your pain.

I was in a store on Saturday and saw a guy buy the two on the shelf. I couldn't decide if he actually liked the mini or was doing everyone a service by taking them out of circulation!

2 hours ago, ThePenitentOne said:

So we know now, nothing new for SoS.

I'm so far from fielding SoS that I never actually looked closely at the index for custodes, but I checked a few things out before posting. So SoS can be a solo detachment, because they have HQ and Battleline units. But SoS get no access to Ka'tah, they can't use any of the base enhancements, and only two of the strats.

My question to folks further down the Custodes rabbit hole than I: 1) do you think there will be at least one detachment in the dex that favours SoS (ie. all 4 enhancements and all six strats WILL work for SoS) and 2) does anyone other than me even want one? 

Army mostly consist with SoS units would be too weak. A SoS themed detachment could emphasise synergy between SOS and custodes units.

5 minutes ago, Tokugawa said:

Army mostly consist with SoS units would be too weak. A SoS themed detachment could emphasise synergy between SOS and custodes units.

Some synergy bits are fine, if its the entire focus of the detachment its worthless to me (And roughly half the SoS fans)  because im not going to include any Custodes except for counts as vehicles. 

Like, you may use some Custodes if you care about competitive gaming (Spoilers, thats pretty rare in the obscure factions) is fine, but you must use Custodes for the detachment to function is worthless. See the current version where Anathema are at best an afterthought.

The odd thing with custodes is that SoS in the lore always seem to fight as one. In the TT though they are distinct units that are pretty much separate within the same army. I think GW should allow you to attach SoS models to custodes units to give them warp resistance buffs etc. That way they are fighting as one unit and Custodes protect the sisters and in turn the sisters aid the custodes.

GW should be trying to emulate that fight in "Watcher of the Throne" in the codex. I don't feel they capture that lore side very well currently.

26 minutes ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

werent custodes pretty much the last "wrong" proportioned army to be released? First kit came with and therefor has burning of prospero sizes

I think not the army, but some kits(basic guards)? Allarus still slightly taller than 10th marine terminators and don't feel obviously abnormal or dwarf.

• 4 weeks later...

sZsci2OaFytdCBRN.jpg

New custodes combat patrol box announced. We don't know how the new rules look like, but it possibly quite good for competitive gaming.

From the rumors the Combat Patrol will be a choice of two units and a leader from that box, not that entire box, which definitely feels more fair.

But two of those boxes, and then maybe one other item from the codex that you like, and you've got 2k of Custodes, REALLY cheaply.  If you grab the new battleforce and this Combat patrol, you could probably get away with another box or two of regular Custodian Guards and use some of it to build captains and be ready to rumble.  Get one more blade champ and you're off to the races.