Adeptus Custodes Shield-Captain + Battleforce + Codex

I stopped playing 10th a while ago, and this certainly isn't going to draw me back in. Perfectly content to wait until 11th, or 12th. Eventually they'll either make a game worth playing, or a 3rd party game will drop that I like well enough to use my models in.

I suggest people swap to playing Old World until 40K pulls its head out its butt. That game has been an excellent breath of fresh air, and the corporate side of GW hasn't had a chance to ruin it like they inevitably will. 

6 hours ago, Doobles57 said:

I think I've read basically all the rules now through various leaks. I'm genuinely considering skipping it for now. I'm usually a day 1 codex fomo mug for any army I own. But I'm not very excited to try these rules out on the table right now. It's a real shame. That said I bought the Ad Mech codex which has some decent rules and garbage datasheets. So I'll probably be a sucker still. 

I also keep expecting to see a photo or angle of the new Shield Captain that doesn't make him look like a portly midget. Thought maybe the studio member army article today might have managed it but no. Still a hard pass on him. 

I don't like being this negative but I'm not sure what I'm meant to be getting excited about for this release?

Even custodes future winrate get higher than 50%(with some points cost reduce and dataslate tweaks towards devastating wounds, it's not difficult), this codex is still unsuccessful. It can't make neutral players feel "it's interesting to collect and play this faction" and draw new customers effectively.

Lack of new units to add rules depth(and push their sales) could be a reason. But Orks also don't get new units, they have some old characters retired and the two new models are "skins" to existing units. Aren't Orks codex writing well?

Reviews are not very positive of the codex so far, Art of War say its the worst codex in 5 years.

There is a slight positive, goonhammer say the crusade rules are quite neat. Mught be fun to run an auric champions detachment with all/lots of characters as "movie custodes" in crusade or lower point games.

28 minutes ago, irlLordy said:

Reviews are not very positive of the codex so far, Art of War say its the worst codex in 5 years.

There is a slight positive, goonhammer say the crusade rules are quite neat. Mught be fun to run an auric champions detachment with all/lots of characters as "movie custodes" in crusade or lower point games.

Yeah if I can convince my monthly group to start doing crusade there might be a reason to buy this codex.

But I've already planted the seeds of "I'll use updated data sheets, but I'm gonna stick with the original Shield Host" and so far everyone seems to be on board. 

The reviews have been kinda brutal... Its nice that i can actually field my Anathema again without some token Custards but this is not the thing to get me interested in playing 40k again right now.

It's the Something Awful-spawned tabletop website, I'm not sure why people would expect a fully serious, respectful review. 

I am always on the cusp of collecting Custodes.

I own a bunch of the models, have a bunch painted, and it wouldn't take much for me to transform what I already have into the beginnings of a new army.

The codex power doesn't concern me so much because the turnaround with new books and faction power levels is pretty rapid. By the time I have a full army collected and painted a new codex will be getting teased.

Instead, I'm now wondering if I should be holding off on buying ANYTHING to do with this faction, as ultimately the new lore probably requires a range refresh similar to what the Stormcast Eternals went through in AoS. Alternatively, is the new lore just pandering that won't be reflected in the model line whatsoever?

26 minutes ago, Nephaston said:

Not only is a range update needed, but it will make the new shield captain look even more ridiculous which is hilarious to me and therefore the way to go.

hmm.. 11th edition launchbox, Newtodes refresh ( not to be read as nude todes.. that would be too retro ) vs Drukhari refresh... there is even lore snippets that form a good basis for this.

It would be the only non spacemarine matchup I could see happen actually.

3 minutes ago, TheMawr said:

hmm.. 11th edition launchbox, Newtodes refresh ( not to be read as nude todes.. that would be too retro ) vs Drukhari refresh... there is even lore snippets that form a good basis for this.

It would be the only non spacemarine matchup I could see happen actually.

It's actually a lovely idea. By the time of 11th, much of the Custodes will be reaching their decade mark. Be a good chance to roll in some FW units or come up with some 40k equivalents. And hopefully they can expand SoS alongside them, for my interests sake

I think Drukhari refresh is happening this edition though.

I dont think there will ever be a launch box without Space marines in it, and its a great chance to revisit a different xeno every edition too. The core Custodes/Sisters kits are a few years old now though, i should definitely see a refresh being plausible at some point, but being in limbo between 30/40k i think is their real problem given the rivalries between ranges as the company seems really reluctant to make models for both systems unless they absolutely have to.

I do have a ton of models sat in boxes for these guys but I don't think this will coax me into playing around with the idea of an army. There are so many aspects of Custodes that appeal to me but to be honest I personally think they'd work better as an allied contingent.

Edited by Doghouse

4 hours ago, Doghouse said:

I do have a ton of models sat in boxes for these guys but I don't think this will coax me into playing around with the idea of an army. There are so many aspects of Custodes that appeal to me but to be honest I personally think they'd work better as an allied contingent.

Very much agree with this, to be fair. The design space for them seems to be limited to, 'Space Marines, but gold, larger and better', which goes for their tanks and dreadnoughts too. The SoS are an interesting element, but again I think that once you move past the anti-psyker element you risk treading on the design toes of the SoB.

But then, I kind of feel the same about Grey Knights, Deathwatch, Genestealer Cults and both Knight armies. They should bring in Dark Mech and then each flavour of Knight can piggyback onto a Ad Mech / Dark Mech codex. Genestealers go into Tyranids, GK, Deathwatch and Custodes go into an Agents of the Imperium codex.

12 hours ago, One Paul Murray said:

Very much agree with this, to be fair. The design space for them seems to be limited to, 'Space Marines, but gold, larger and better', which goes for their tanks and dreadnoughts too. The SoS are an interesting element, but again I think that once you move past the anti-psyker element you risk treading on the design toes of the SoB.

But then, I kind of feel the same about Grey Knights, Deathwatch, Genestealer Cults and both Knight armies. They should bring in Dark Mech and then each flavour of Knight can piggyback onto a Ad Mech / Dark Mech codex. Genestealers go into Tyranids, GK, Deathwatch and Custodes go into an Agents of the Imperium codex.

I sorta agree with some of your choices but not GSC as I think they're a lot more different than normal Nids and have more design space that isn't been taken advantage of.

Custodes, from the looks of things, don't appear to have that (outside of importing FW stuff to plastic)

7 hours ago, USNCenturion said:

I just looked at the new shield captain model again, and holy cow is that an awful model. I’m curious if anyone has their hands on it yet, and if it looks better proportioned in person than the pictures GW is using. 

How this thing made it past quality control is mind-boggling. The torso needs to be bigger compared to the legs and arms, and the bulk provided by the cape and spear just makes it worse. How could they screw this up?! Did it really start life as a Votann sculpt?

Looking at it, I'm wondering if it was another old sculpt that GW have put out there just to recoup some money from it before the entire range is rescaled in some other edition down the line.

10 hours ago, USNCenturion said:

I just looked at the new shield captain model again, and holy cow is that an awful model. I’m curious if anyone has their hands on it yet, and if it looks better proportioned in person than the pictures GW is using. 

How this thing made it past quality control is mind-boggling. The torso needs to be bigger compared to the legs and arms, and the bulk provided by the cape and spear just makes it worse. How could they screw this up?! Did it really start life as a Votann sculpt?

All reports from people who have handled it say it's another case of poor photography + paint job.  But not many people here will be able to help you with actual handling; this place is pretty hostile to any sort of influencer presence and those would be the only people who MIGHT have them on hand, as the preorder just went up this past weekend and will be running for 2 weeks before release on the 27th.

Expect to start seeing some videos over the next two weeks though, hopefully someone can make it looks less weird; I don't HATE the model, I just think it looks awkward.

47 minutes ago, GenerationTerrorist said:

Well, looks like my two armies have been hit biggest by the 10th Edition Nerf Bat so far.

I likes a challenge....

Not even close.  Just imagine if you also played Ad Mech! :P