Adeptus Custodes Shield-Captain + Battleforce + Codex

1 hour ago, GenerationTerrorist said:

Well, looks like my two armies have been hit biggest by the 10th Edition Nerf Bat so far.

I likes a challenge....

Custodes needed it, they were bonkers prior to their codex.

1 hour ago, GenerationTerrorist said:

Well, looks like my two armies have been hit biggest by the 10th Edition Nerf Bat so far.

I likes a challenge....

What is your other army? Death Guard?

33 minutes ago, DemonGSides said:

DG has only gotten better as 10th has gone on.

According to their signature, they play Dark Angels and Custodes, both of which are a bit in the "oof" section of 10ths army divisions.

Ah, I can't see the sigs on mobile (not portrait mode anyway) fair enough.

31 minutes ago, DemonGSides said:

DG has only gotten better as 10th has gone on.

Well when DG came out as dead last / second worst with a 38% win rate when 10th started, you would hope they would get better and not worse.

If you use the codex to nerf a faction performing well like custodes, people will be less inclined to buy said codex. That's why they have to follow creep protocol to enhance sales. What was custodes most recent win rate % prior to this codex launching? I thought most of the factions were in the 45-55% mark at this point.

2 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Well when DG came out as dead last / second worst with a 38% win rate when 10th started, you would hope they would get better and not worse.

If you use the codex to nerf a faction performing well like custodes, people will be less inclined to buy said codex. That's why they have to follow creep protocol to enhance sales. What was custodes most recent win rate % prior to this codex launching? I thought most of the factions were in the 45-55% mark at this point.

Custodes are doing great in the meta, but you've gotta be smoking some premium stuff to believe that any codex coming out right now is in response to the current meta breakdown in competitive circles.

We're still dealing with codexes that were written before 10th even came out.  It won't be until later this year that we start to see books that have been written in response to popular consensus about the game.

DG are pretty fun right now.  I'd suggest giving them a go, but you've made your feelings around 10th QUITE well known lol

5 minutes ago, DemonGSides said:

Custodes are doing great in the meta, but you've gotta be smoking some premium stuff to believe that any codex coming out right now is in response to the current meta breakdown in competitive circles.

We're still dealing with codexes that were written before 10th even came out.  It won't be until later this year that we start to see books that have been written in response to popular consensus about the game.

DG are pretty fun right now.  I'd suggest giving them a go, but you've made your feelings around 10th QUITE well known lol

That's an interesting point, this codex was likely started back in 2022 (if two year process still applies) I can't quite remember what Custodes were like at the tail end of ninth but this still seems like a weird course correction.

37 minutes ago, DemonGSides said:

See I don't buy that (second half). Why would the custodes current detachment bonus change if it was not done with any consensus about 10th whatsoever? Why write an index detachment bonus and immediately turn around, write the whole codex and change that detachment bonus without knowing how strong or weak it is? I know they are written long before they actually come out, but I doubt the detachment bonus would have changed at all if not done in a reaction to early 10th.

Edited by Special Officer Doofy

The lead times on these are always quite long, even in normal times it was probably sent to the printer before the Christmas break2023 and the early edition codexes are notoriously bad because they arent written with the full live environment to witness and work from. I guess the real proof will be in the FAQ which will do any course correcting theyve come up with since then plus the immediate reactions from us lot.

Never forget the power of someone incompetent in authority saying "trust me, thisll work" too :D  

3 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

See I don't buy that (second half). Why would the custodes current detachment bonus change if it was not done with any consensus about 10th whatsoever? Why write an index detachment bonus and immediately turn around, write the whole codex and change that detachment bonus without knowing how strong or weak it is? I know they are written long before they actually come out, but I doubt the detachment bonus would have changed at all if not done in a reaction to early 10th.

You don't have to buy it, it's pretty obvious.  There's not a single battle tactic in the entire Auric Champions detatchment, and it's purpose built for the shield captains to use multiple of the same stat per turn, but that doesn't work with the rules as currently set out.  Simple things like that are a very obvious insight into how long it takes for these things to percolate at GW.

That's the real travesty, not some imagined "let's take the Custodes out back and knee cap them" that you're imagining.  That adds a lot of malice to GW when incompetence is both more likely and more obvious.

GW won't let solo captains become popular way of playing. That means player buy one box and own 500pts of army. GW can't allow that happen again.

2 minutes ago, Tokugawa said:

GW won't let solo captains become popular way of playing. That means player buy one box and own 500pts of army. GW can't allow that happen again.

Not really.  Shield Captains are a single slot in the army, so unless you go Allarus or Bike, you can only take 3.  Plus you're still probably going to want to have a few bodyguard units around some of the captains, sheerly because of how much benefit they can add (Especially w/ the Blade Champions).

I think it's literally just two different teams; one team writes the books, another team keeps the game balanced.  They've got their work cut out for them, the poor people.

8 minutes ago, DemonGSides said:

You don't have to buy it, it's pretty obvious.  There's not a single battle tactic in the entire Auric Champions detatchment, and it's purpose built for the shield captains to use multiple of the same stat per turn, but that doesn't work with the rules as currently set out.  Simple things like that are a very obvious insight into how long it takes for these things to percolate at GW.

That's the real travesty, not some imagined "let's take the Custodes out back and knee cap them" that you're imagining.  That adds a lot of malice to GW when incompetence is both more likely and more obvious.

Nah. I'm not saying it was just wrote, but to think the whole thing was finished before 10th launched and was not revisted even once is a farce. I'm not imagining there's not a 6 month turn around time for the printing/manufacturing and the shipping/logistics side of it. But to think a billion dollar company is like owell we wrote it before the edition even came out let's just sit on it for 4 months, print it and ship it in another 6 adds even more malice to GW. 

9 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Nah. I'm not saying it was just wrote, but to think the whole thing was finished before 10th launched and was not revisted even once is a farce. I'm not imagining there's not a 6 month turn around time for the printing/manufacturing and the shipping/logistics side of it. But to think a billion dollar company is like owell we wrote it before the edition even came out let's just sit on it for 4 months, print it and ship it in another 6 adds even more malice to GW. 

I'm not saying it wasn't ever looked at again.  But September was only 7 months ago, so with 6-ish months lead time... Yeah I think they probably called it good after ripping it and shipped it.

Incompetence.

Like, nothing of what I'm writing is outside of the realm of believability.  GW's said there's a 6-ish lead time, so it's within scope, we know they only have so many rules writers and that basically a single person handles a codex, it gets approval, it ships.

It's not GOOD business, but I wouldn't call it malice either.  It's just incompetence.

Edited by DemonGSides

Might be the left and right hand not working too well too, id heard they have greatly increased the size of the rules team over the years, this has to be two or more competing visions at work somehow, or someone tweaking someone elses work without understanding it?

But yeah, whilst printing can be quicker than 6 months, lead times are a lot bigger, ive heard years ahead sometimes, at least on the core of the work, but look at that year of wildly OP codexes we had in, i want to say 9th? For example.

As far as incompetence goes, remember these are the people who brought us the eldar index rules (though given how likely it was to have sold eldar kits, they might not be too bothered).

Never proscribe malice when incompetence will do.

In this case there may have been other internal deadlines due and the ork codex needed more time (certainly seems to shine brighter).

4 hours ago, MaximusTL said:

if there's one silver lining, the custodes combat patrol is excellent value. Im going to pick one up at some point. 

Yeah I plan on getting two of those as well to completely round out my army.  I somehow have managed to never pick up a Warden kit, so that'll help shore up those, and who doesn't want even more Allarus?!

On 4/14/2024 at 8:59 PM, One Paul Murray said:

The SoS are an interesting element, but again I think that once you move past the anti-psyker element you risk treading on the design toes of the SoB.

I don't think there's too much danger of that. The core concepts behind SoB and SoS are pretty vastly different that they shouldn't run into any danger of too much overlap. It's one of the few cases where the faux Latin name for them is actually better, because it distances the two armies. Once you look past the "armoured women" basis there should be plenty of room for creative expression. And considering how many different factions we have built around a similarly general foundation it really shouldn't be too hard for a decent design team. 

Of course, that would require an actual expansion of the 40k range available to the Anathema Psykana. Here's hoping. 

Yeah exactly that, there is actually significant design space between the two "Sisterhoods" despite fan works trying to muddy the waters :D :P 

And yes, Anathema Psykana is definitely a better name than Sisters of Silence, which as Aleya says was blatantly chosen by a man :D 

On 4/17/2024 at 3:27 PM, Noserenda said:

Yeah exactly that, there is actually significant design space between the two "Sisterhoods" despite fan works trying to muddy the waters :D :P 

And yes, Anathema Psykana is definitely a better name than Sisters of Silence, which as Aleya says was blatantly chosen by a man :D 

I think you and the previous poster slightly mistake my meaning.

I'm not suggesting that the two flavours of Sister are similar, just that in terms of design space I am not sure how different you can make a full army of them for a war game like 40k.

If you were to try and design a line of models that didn't have clear crossover with any of the SoB product line I think you would struggle, personally. At least I couldn't think of how to do it.