Adepticon 2024 Schedule

So, a reveal session full of ... almost nothing.

Most expectations and hopium have not been satisfied. Not a big surprise. In fact, if shall we be honest with ourselves:

- Reveals are for a while now very short term focussed - we have here a coverage of the next 2 codices only, which should not be a surprise.

- Big event, the new AoS edition, is blobbing everything - neiter should be a surprise and, to be fair, with the hype 40k received over the past quarters it looks equilibrated that AoS gets now its moment of attention.

- Next 2 codices look like they will be released with minimum new stuff: 2 characters for CSM (+ KT accessory sprue for Night Lords) and an accessory sprue for GSC. Again, something previsible if we look at the roadmap and codex release frequency marked.

My only doubt is in respect of these GSC. Why? Mainly because the sprue is backed by the 3rd instalement of KT season. Which has been teased there while the 2nd installment (KT Nigtmare . Mandrakes and freaky skully CSM) is not yet out. This does not fit with my mental map...

Most promising stuff is what we do not really see in the plain beamer light. HH and Necromunda. More fuel for the addicts to hopium that we are. 

Not really one for me, I could be tempted to pick up some of those plasma terrain things, but most of the models leave me cold. 

I like the Brood Brothers, but they feel an uninspired re-do of the traitor guard with a different filter, if I was looking at a large traitor/renegade guard force I'd use them for pose diversity in kit bashes though.

The foot Chaos lord's thick cape over his large pauldrons give him too much of a distorted silhouette and make his head look tiny and his horns look like he's compensating, the jump lord is another 'tried too hard with the pose effects' I'd rather he was landed and fighting than in mid air and needing to find something to hold up his pose.

55 minutes ago, Bouargh said:

- Next 2 codices look like they will be released with minimum new stuff: 2 characters for CSM (+ KT accessory sprue for Night Lords) and an accessory sprue for GSC. Again, something previsible if we look at the roadmap and codex release frequency marked.

GSC is a Kill team release NOT a 40k release. They should be getting something else with their codex. And if I'm remembering correctly the current Valrak rumour is a psyker with a swollen brain

Edited by Matrindur

45 minutes ago, Matrindur said:

GSC is a Kill team release NOT a 40k release. They should be getting something else with their codex. And if I'm remembering correctly the current Valrak rumour is a psyker with a swollen brain

True. Literally. Brood brothers are a KT release. Like SM scouts were...

So,  don´t be so literal. Schedule wise, the Broodbrothers for GSC fit with 40k codex (if their stand alone release is fast after KT 3rd instalment box). And game wise it fits with 40k quite well too.

KT is a convenient manner to release 40k stuff  out of the main stream planification, but, there, it looks like there is a big suspicious synchronicity... So, I will personally cosnider it as being at the same time a KT AND a 40k release (undercover).

Should GSC get another rumoured single character released with their codex, great. But it will not make the codex release more greedy looking or appetizing. And, if this rumour appear to be true in the future, it might therefore indicate that the forward time projection offered by this teaser program is even shorter than it used to be in general. Which may lead to question the whole necesity of all of this communication exercise. 

41 minutes ago, Bouargh said:

True. Literally. Brood brothers are a KT release. Like SM scouts were...

So,  don´t be so literal. Schedule wise, the Broodbrothers for GSC fit with 40k codex (if their stand alone release is fast after KT 3rd instalment box). And game wise it fits with 40k quite well too.

KT is a convenient manner to release 40k stuff  out of the main stream planification, but, there, it looks like there is a big suspicious synchronicity... So, I will personally cosnider it as being at the same time a KT AND a 40k release (undercover).

Should GSC get another rumoured single character released with their codex, great. But it will not make the codex release more greedy looking or appetizing. And, if this rumour appear to be true in the future, it might therefore indicate that the forward time projection offered by this teaser program is even shorter than it used to be in general. Which may lead to question the whole necesity of all of this communication exercise. 

I wasn't saying to not count them as a 40k release. Of course they are a stealth 40k release. But for GW its different releases so we can be sure these won't count for the "At least one release per codex" and there will be another GSC release with their codex.

Edited by Matrindur

52 minutes ago, Metzombie said:

Yes they will be literally not realesed with the Codex.

Yeah, the scouts solo release was months after their codex dropped. I suspect the night lord upgrade sprue will be the same.

2 hours ago, lilking said:

Did I miss anything

What a profound question, because not really, but you did miss Rats In The Chat.

+++ RATS IN THE CHAT +++

This Preview event changed formats.  Instead of a live 2-man show, it was a pre-recorded roundtable, like some Netflix cast & crew bonus episode.

image.png?ex=660e1f32&is=65fbaa32&hm=81427c262ce07fc3a025160aaf89bc3886fef45992c49900aae76ba8d6b578ac&

^ This was the reaction.  The show wasn't bad, but it was awkward, like your friend in high school "reinventing" himself, acting all different.

The most entertaining part was definitely the Skaven players.  They were singing songs, chanting "RATS OR RI~OT, RATS OR RI~OT," etc.

image.png?ex=660e2340&is=65fbae40&hm=76485380025750ea5e55b9e034dcdc1960d083c03257db1ec2e8a185a75cd654&

The chat did a better job selling me than anything in the Preview.  I wasn't really following the AoS rumours, but I was rooting for these Skaven players.  Then, the payoff: the final reveal was for the new edition of AoS and Skaven were the main antagonist this time.  I hadn't felt this good since watching The Rats of NIMH.

The point is, the Skaven-dominated chat sold me.  They were like a Rat King, a bunch of rats, entangled, acting as one.  It was hilarious.

For my own interests, though, I'm pretty psyched for plastic Mechanicum.  We just don't have the same solidarity Skaven players do, though.

Not a fan of this different format. They really struggle to just do a simple preview show don't they. 

It felt like a solid enough wave of previews but nothing truly spectacular. Then again not every reveal show can be. 

Personally as an AoS player it was those models that were the highlight for me. 

I was slightly surprised we didn't get a codex road map for 40k. 

52 minutes ago, The Praetorian of Inwit said:

Not a fan of this different format. They really struggle to just do a simple preview show don't they. 

It felt like a solid enough wave of previews but nothing truly spectacular. Then again not every reveal show can be. 

Personally as an AoS player it was those models that were the highlight for me. 

I was slightly surprised we didn't get a codex road map for 40k. 

Not every reveal show can be, but Adepticon should be, and especially when you start the show with "more jampacked then ever." only to subsequently deliver the barest of adepticon previews. Even the younger ( I think ) kill team guy looked as if he was falling asleep :p

No road map for 40k didnt suprise me, as we got one up to early summer ( or whole summer, but my personal bet is its early summer only.) ... and a roadmap for kill team is rather redundant by now... its usually just a box per season, we all know it. and by now a kill team roadmap might just as well be a big sign saying "delayed" Those who I think could use a new roadmap we do not discuss here.

I actually, thinking about it, believe that preview shows at random might not be an ideal delivery method for roadmaps. I think its better if its a website regular like Metawatch, dataslate etc. etc. "Its the first thursday of spring and its time for the seasonal roadmap thursdays" or something like that.. but Im not sure if this counts as offtopic talk.

On 3/21/2024 at 8:21 AM, Magos Takatus said:

This Adepticon  reveal sounds so awful I almost wish I'd stayed up to see quite how bad it was. No, actually I like sleep on second thought.

Judging by the snippets I've seen I expect you would have gone to sleep anyway. :teehee:

• 4 weeks later...