New Chaos Lord & Chaos Lord with Jump Pack (also battleforce sets)

On 3/20/2024 at 11:02 PM, KaosRaptor said:

The jump-pack lord suffers from GW's insistence on every unit with a jump-pack being in the air somehow regardless of how silly it is, and the pose just seems awkward. Almost like he's floating or dangling rather than coming crashing down or rocketing up.

r/Warhammer40k - 2 new Chaos Lords!

I think it's the arms on the jump lord. If you look at just he leg and torso it seems to indicate an upward trajectory. The arms being raised horizontally, rather than angled up or down with a jump kill the momentum.

In defense of the jump lord it suffers from the same issues as any other floating jump model in that it's stuck at one moment during the whole assumed arc of the jump it is doing but also touching some rock or other. Jump Intercessors for instance can all be placed in the upwards arc of their jump while raptors have 4 of the 5 marines in the process of landing but all of them look kind of silly since they have to connect to the base.

The Chaos lord is very much in the process of landing but the subdued cloth flapping makes it look like he's either hovering or jumping slightly backwards. I guess they wanted to avoid the mess that is Ephrael Stern.

Since he's on smoke one could bend him a bit to make the landing angle less steep, or , after assembly, separate the smoke from the helmet, glue it to the side of a rock to make it look like trailing dust from whatever he's leapt off of.

On 3/21/2024 at 4:29 PM, Nephaston said:

This one?

8tktb4MUzapNaJDf-500x283.jpg.83c1b819bbd28955ba9aac5f2d458f17.jpg

Seems to be completely new, so my guess is we might see it in the codex down the line.

I can tell you what kind of inspiration was responsible for the Jump Pack Lord:

"Smoooooooooke on the waaaaaaaaaater,

and fire in the sky!"

New jump Lord, but no new Raptors or Talons. Oof. Those models are awful. 6th was the nadir of Chaos visual design. Still, a Legends unit that should never have been Legended being put back in bodes well. Maybe James Dub will bless World Eaters with a Terminator Lord and Terminator themed detachment. I know they won’t, but maybe?

Foot Lord looks great. I might buy one to convert to a MoE. Great update of a classic sculpt. More of that please.

42 minutes ago, Rain said:

New jump Lord, but no new Raptors or Talons. Oof. Those models are awful. 6th was the nadir of Chaos visual design. Still, a Legends unit that should never have been Legended being put back in bodes well. Maybe James Dub will bless World Eaters with a Terminator Lord and Terminator themed detachment. I know they won’t, but maybe?

Foot Lord looks great. I might buy one to convert to a MoE. Great update of a classic sculpt. More of that please.

The Raptors and Talons have aged very well and don't look out of place next to the rest of the Chaos line. Feels like wanting new things for the sake of new.

Edited by Wispy

I'd be happy with the exact same designs if they pulled them up in CAD and sized up by ~1.2x or so. My old Raptors from release day are about as big as my buddy's new Cadians if you ignore the tactical rubble. Heck, they weren't much bigger than the old Cadians.

5 hours ago, Wispy said:

The Raptors and Talons have aged very well and don't look out of place next to the rest of the Chaos line. Feels like wanting new things for the sake of new.

They're literally not raptors, visually they're standard chaos space marines with jump packs and way too many spikes. Raptors are neither spiky nor standard chaos space marines. Personally I don't want new for the sake of new, I want new for the sake of old and interesting, reverting to what was a superior design. I don't even mind chaos marines with jump packs existing alongside raptors, but as has already pointed out there are scale issues with the current kit.